tri`ed melatonin and 5-HTP formula? please help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by birthe, Sep 5, 2002.

1. birthe

birthe New Member

Iam new here at messageboard. had fibro and cfs since -93. tried lot of different medication - now Iam started om Melatonin, 1 tabl. at night, and 3 5 HTP plus formula (HYDROXYTRYTOPHAN).
    Live in Denmark, where I cant by those tablets, but have them from England and Holland.
    I dont know anyone here who takes that medicin, whick I think - and hope - can stimulate my immunsystem.
    if anyone here at the Bord knows - please tell me about your experience. feel free to contact me at my e-mail: paavig@get2net.dk or here. love, Birthe

2. birthe

birthe New Member

Iam new here at messageboard. had fibro and cfs since -93. tried lot of different medication - now Iam started om Melatonin, 1 tabl. at night, and 3 5 HTP plus formula (HYDROXYTRYTOPHAN).
    Live in Denmark, where I cant by those tablets, but have them from England and Holland.
    I dont know anyone here who takes that medicin, whick I think - and hope - can stimulate my immunsystem.
    if anyone here at the Bord knows - please tell me about your experience. feel free to contact me at my e-mail: paavig@get2net.dk or here. love, Birthe

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Birthe, so glad you found our board. I think you are our only member from Denmark! We are very happy to have you here.

I take Melatonin for sleep, have been taking it now for 12 years, 3 milligrams right before bed.

As for the 5-HTP, I have enclosed an article on it for you. I have not tried this myself, but others here will share their experience with you.

Again, welcome to the board, will be looking forward to knowing you better.

Shalom, Shirl

------------------------------------------------------------

5 HTP (5-Hydroxy L-Tryptophan) 50mg
    Building block for serotonin

·Supports healthy sleep patterns and mood
    ·Provides building blocks for serotonin
    ·Promotes healthy nerve and brain function

5-HTP (5-Hydroxy L-Tryptophan) is used by the human body to make serotonin, an important substance for normal nerve and brain function. Serotonin appears to play significant roles in sleep, emotional moods, pain control, and inflammation. 5-HTP is not present in significant amounts in a typical diet.
    The human body manufactures 5-HTP from L-tryptophan, a natural amino acid found in many dietary proteins. However, eating food that contains L-tryptophan does not significantly increase 5-HTP levels. Supplemental 5-HTP is naturally derived from the seeds of the Griffonia simplicifolia, a West African medicinal plant.
    Study Used 5-HTP to Combat FM Symptoms

5-HTP is necessary to produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, essential for normal nerve and brain function. Serotonin is found in the brain and central nervous system, and has many implications for mood, behavior and sleep patterns. Michael T. Murray, N.D., explains in his book Natural Alternatives to Prozac, that when serotonin levels are inadequate, "the consequences...can be devastating, and include plunging moods, food cravings, ruined sleep, [severe] headaches and just plain exhaustion."

Natural Support for Maintaining Healthy Serotonin Levels
    Fortunately, safe and effective nutritional support for maintaining serotonin levels is available with 5-HTP. Serotonin is synthesized in a two-step process where L-tryptophan is converted to 5-HTP, which is then converted to serotonin. 5-HTP works by increasing the actual amount of serotonin in the brain. By enhancing the supply of serotonin, 5-HTP plays a key role in nutritionally supporting healthy central nervous system function, such as sleep, appetite and mood patterns.

The Link Between FM and Low Serotonin Levels
    The link between FM and lowered serotonin levels was first investigated in the early 1970's by Italian researcher Federigo Sicuteri, M.D., at the University of Florence. In the decades since he first made his observations, Dr. Sicuteri has continued to research the serotonin connection and the effects of 5-HTP in balancing serotonin levels. Other researchers have also performed studies in this area; for example, a group at the rheumatology unit of a Milan hospital reported positive results in two clinical studies dealing with FM and 5-HTP. In a double-blind study, 50 patients were divided into two groups. The group that received 5-HTP (100mg a day) showed significant improvement in their symptoms, while the placebo group experienced virtually no improvement. The improvements were felt within a short time period, and increased further after 30 days of treatment. In the second study by the same group of researchers, patients who took 100mg of 5-HTP three times daily reported positive results after 30 days and throughout the length of the 90 day trial.

Dr. I. Jon Russell's Research Into Lowered Serotonin Levels in FM Patients

Several different studies by leading FM researchers including I. Jon Russell, M.D., Ph.D., have demonstrated the connection between FM and lowered serotonin levels in the blood. In one double-blind study, led by I. Caruso, M.D., FM patients given 300mg of 5-HTP daily reported a reduction of symptoms of pain, morning stiffness, sleep disturbances and anxiety.

Source: J Int Med Res, 1990;18:201-9

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2002]
  4. birthe

birthe New Member

Yes I realy feel a warm welcomming! Thanks for the article - just what I needed!
    Yes Iam from Denmark, from the famous danish poet Hans Christian Andersens town: Odense.
    As I wrote in the depression message board: Iam very happy I found Immune support - . if the day is full of pain, musclescramping, fog or whatever - the laste days have been different for me. I know outthere there are Messageboards and chatrooms - to comfort me. I dont feel so alone anymore.!
    We have a pamflet of fibro and fm - and we are about 300 members of the Danish Fibro society. we have no messageboard and chatroom, I will work for it.
    goodnight from DK Birthe