Trichloroethane

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 139864, Mar 3, 2007.

1. 139864

139864 New Member

Has any one else on these boards ever had any contact with this solvent ?? also known as
    chloroethene, methylchloroform, methyltrichloromethane, TCEA, and trichloromethylmethane

This is what I worked with for eighteen years and have since been dx.ed many "Autoimmune Diseases " I also worked with Trichloroethylene .
    They were both widely used in industry eg Dry cleaning ,metal cleaners. in hosp.s as anacetics and as pesticides / insecticides .
    "Health effects:
    1,1,1-trichloroethane concentrations is usually attributed to either depression of the central nervous system, which results in respiratory arrest, or sensitization of the heart to epinephrine, which results in severe cardiac arrhythmias.
    Exposure to high levels of 1,1,1-trichloroethane may also cause respiratory depression, leading to death; dizziness; light-headedness; loss of balance and coordination; unconsciousness; decreased blood pressure; and failure of the heart to beat.
    Lower levels of exposure can also cause headache, lassitude, irritation to the eyes, and dermatitis."

I have much, much more info on them and I am convinced that they were the causes of all of my diseases
    Thank you for reading
    stay WELL
    Brenda UK

2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

From 1981 till 1986 I lived down the street from a company that was illegally dumping trichloroethelyne out their back door. I had miscarriages and an almost constant kidney "infection" while living there. That is when I started having "allergies". After we moved away, my son developed swollen lymph nodes in his neck, armpits and groin. A biopsy was performed and nothing showed up. The doctors said they didn't know what caused it. If you google Something in the Water Royal Pines you can read about the neighborhood. I moved before it got really bad. The neighborhood has 50 times the national cancer rate.
  3. 139864

139864 New Member

Hi Woofmom
    Working with one of these chemicals was bad ,the two of them together disastrous !!!
    I have diseased lungs ,liver FM,Chostochondritis etc.and have been fighting with all of my doctors here in the UK for the past three years ,ever since I found out just how detrimental to our health these substances are .I have just had cateract surgery done ,other people get over it ..No Problem .. Not Me .I have been laid out for two weeks !!
    I posted earlier about the book SIlENT SpRING by RACHEL CARSON if you haven't read this book ..PLEASE DO SO ..

Trichloroethane was the .T. in D.D.T which was abolished nearly fifty years ago ,but trichloroethane was only abolished in '96 in the UK 2000 in the US . There is lots of info on the NET please google them
    Brenda UK
  4. 139864

139864 New Member

It was seventeen years ago that I was first dx.ed with PBC
    but I had been suffering for years before dx .
    Last year was my first holiday in seventeen years (a cruise ) as gradually I was starting to feel better in myself )
    But as Rachel Carson tells us in " SILENT SPRINGS " the chemicals lie dormant in our tissues ,until we have any trauma to our bodies .
    So I was expecting a small relapse after having eye surgery ,but not one quite as bad asthe one I got !!!
    I will start getting better again now ...I have to ...as my daughter is expecting my first grandchild .
    I am having acupuncture ..so I can only HOPE .
    stay WELL
    Brenda
  5. 139864

139864 New Member

The Top 12 Least Wanted Chemicals List
    Thought this might be of interest :)
    Brenda

The Least Wanted List

Asbestos: Present as insulation and fireproofing material on many pipes, boilers, furnaces and walls. Also present in brake shoes and clutch plates. cause lung scarring, lung cancer and other types of cancer.

"Safety Solvents" (also know as methyl chloroform, dichioromethane): Very widespread use as cleaning and degreasing agents. Some commonly used ones are 1,1,1 Trichloroethane and Methylene Chloride. Both can cause unconsciousness and death when used with inadequate ventilation. Can also cause irritation of the skin, eyes and throat; suspected of causing liver and kidney damage. Possible cancer effects are now being studied.

Cutting Fluids and Biocides (some ingredients include Nitrates, Diethanolamine, Formaldehyde): Most are skin, eye, nose and throat irritants. Many can cause allergic reactions. Some ingredients are suspected cancer-causing agents. Recent studies have shown exposed workers have higher cancer rates than expected.

Glycol Ethers: Widespread use in paint and cleaning solvents. Can cause irritation of skin, eyes, and throat, nerve, bone marrow, liver and kidney damage. cause birth defects and shrinkage of the testes in animals at concentrations below present OSHA standards.

Fluorocarbons (also knows as Freons): Used as degreasing agents. Applied by rags or by vapor degreasing. High concentrations can cause irregular heart beat, oxygen depletion, unconsciousness and death.

Isocyanates (such as TDI and MDI): Used in the manufacture of poyurethane foam. In some enamel paints and in some core making systems in foundries. Cause irritation of eyes, nose, throat, and asthma. Once someone becomes sensitive to isocyanates, extremely low levels can cause health problems. Also suspected of causing cancer in laboratory tests.

Formaldehyde: Found in foundry core systems. Some cutting fluid mists, diesel exhaust, injection molding of acetal resins. Causes skin rash, nose and throat irritation. Causes cancer in laboratory tests.

Epoxies, Resins and Epoxy Hardening Agents (some ingredients include Glycidyl ethers, Epichlorohydrin, Methylene Dianiline MDA): Notorious for causing skin diseases and breathing problems through allergic reactions. Several are suspected of causing cancer or being reproductive hazards.

Silica: Silica sand is used for molds and cores in foundries, in sand blasting, in refractory brick, glass making processes and abrasives. Causes silicosis - an irreversible scarring of the lungs over a period of years. Causes cough, shortness of breath and possible death.

Lead: Widespread use in battery plants, soldering operations and grinding, brass foundries and paints. Causes anemia, kidney damage, nervous system damage, reproductive health effects, stomach pains.

Wood Dust: Used in pattern-making shops and carpentry shops. Can cause allergic reactions of the skin and respiratory system. Suspected cancer agent in humans.

Petroleum Distillates (also known as mineral spirits, gasoline, naphtha, Stoddard solvent, kerosene): Used as all-purpose solvents and fuels, these refined petroleum products are highly flammable and cause health effects to the skin and central nervous system. Some may cause long-term health effects to the liver, kidneys and brain, but this needs further study. Gasoline causes cancer in laboratory tests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2002 - 2007 Alliance For The Great Lakes. All rights reserved.
    Direct comments and questions to Webmaster: scampbell@greatlakes.org

[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
  6. 139864

139864 New Member

I had to edit the last posting to make it clearer
    Sta WELL
    brenda
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The offspring of people working with tetrachloroethylene (dry cleaning) are 4 times more likely to develop schizophrenia than the general population.
  8. 139864

139864 New Member

I was discussing this subject with my GP last week ,he told me that it was hardly likely that it could to be passed on & I disagreed with him ...So this is what I will be taking with me on my next visit .

isDistribution of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in umbilical cord and maternal serum.Covaci A, Jorens P, Jacquemyn Y, Schepens P.
    Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium. covaci@uia.ua.ac.be

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides, such as hexachlorobenzene (HCB) and 1,1,1-trichloro-2,2-bis(4-chlorophenyl)ethylene (p,p'-DDE) are compounds widespread in the environment, highly lipophilic, and accumulate in biological systems. The newborn are exposed to these organochlorine compounds across the placenta and through breastfeeding. This study reports the levels of selected PCB congeners, p,p'-DDE and HCB in maternal blood and cord blood samples collected at delivery between November and December 1999 from 44 women living in the urban area of Antwerp, Belgium. Results show that all newborns contained detectable levels of PCBs, p,p'-DDE and HCB. The median concentration of PCBs was 450 pg/ml and ranged between 120 and 1580 pg/ml, while the median concentrations of HCB and p,p'-DDE were 70 and 490 pg/ml, respectively. Concentrations of PCBs and p,p'-DDE in cord blood (ng/ml) were positively associated with concentrations in maternal blood (ng/ml) (coefficients=0.74 and 0.92, P<0.05). We conclude that all investigated organochlorine compounds have an efficient transplacental transfer.

PMID: 12449328 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    agreed with him ...
  9. momof471

momof471 New Member

Its strange you brought this up. I worked in Dry Cleaning for 13 years, about 4 months after working in the plant I developed headaches, about a year later I developed irritable bowel. I have 4 children, first two I worked all 9 mos. They have Tourette's, ADHD, and learning disabilities. Second two, I only worked 3 mos of each, Had to have bedrest for veins. These two have none of the above problems so far. I would come home from the cleaners and promptly fall asleep, I kept strep throat and colds while working there. I think my injury might have just been the tipping point and it all started out back then. I have a new doc and he is wanting to go back through old medical records, maybe I should give him all this info in a time line as none of my other doctors ever went back before the injury. I wonder if you can be tested to see if these chemicals are in the body still.

God Bless
  10. 139864

139864 New Member

Hi
    I am so sorry ,you certainly have had more than your share of problems .You must be a strong lady to have been able to cope with all your heartaches .
    I wrote this poem two yrs. ago & I stand by every word of it today .So please do a little research & inform all of your Drs. that you have been subjected to this chemical

Take GOOD care of yourself
    hugs
    Brenda

Trichloroethane

Although I’m not educated to any fancy degree
    I am pretty certain what caused my p.b.c
    An Organic solvent!! That I’m sure is to blame
    Is a substance that’s called Trichloroethane?
    It was used in industry! Until it became known
    That it was detrimental!! Destroyed the ozone
    Then the government ruled! It must go straight away
    So it was abolished! But it was too late in the day
    This solvent! That’s also known as Genklene
    Used for metal degreasing! And for getting clothes clean
    The hospitals used it for general anaesthetic
    But it was aerobic and hung around for six years
    It was found in the wells, rivers and lakes
    And it cost lots of money to rectify the mistakes
    The harmful effects on the body is slow
    Can take many years for the insult to grow
    There is no part of the body that it doesn’t attack
    Heart, lungs and liver to name just a few
    The nervous system! Brain and lymph nodes too
    It’s not only our livers! I’m sure this you know
    The suffering goes from our heads to our toes
    So if you think there’s a chance that you might have been
    In contact at sometime in your life with Genklene
    Then find “Trichloroethane Poisoning!” Go on the net
    I swear!! you’ll be amazed at the results that you get.
    You know I can’t prove it! But I believe it to be true
    Based on what I worked with and researching I do
    It will probably take someone far more learned than me
    To open your eyes so you are able to see
    The damage to health that this substance can do
    Although I fear it’s too late! for me and it,s too late for you.

11. momof471

momof471 New Member

Thank you for openin my eyes to this portion of things. I look back now and its like I have a connect the dot picture on where I am at now. I didn't know how dangerous it was, I'd heard of people getting lung cancer and things of that nature, I was unaware of what it could do to your central nervous system and so forth. Right now this makes me so sad! For the past 3 years I've gone down hill and didn't understand why, got the fibro diagnosis, but it all probably started with this stupid chemical!

God Bless
  12. 139864

139864 New Member

Have you given any thought to your getting a good lawyer ???It's too late for me as my three yrs are up . If so
    Google
    Trichloroethane / lawyers
    Good luck
    Brenda

1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE
    Also known as: Methyl chloroform, 1,1,1-TCA
    Chemical reference number (CAS): 71-55-61

----------------------------------------------------

WHAT IS 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE?

1,1,1-TCA is a colorless liquid that evaporates quickly at room temperature. It’s used as a metal degreasing and dry-cleaning solvent. It’s also used to make other organic chemicals. 1,1,1-TCA can also be found in aerosol spray products found in the home. When 1,1,1-TCA enters the environment, it can seep into soil and groundwater or evaporate into the air.

HOW ARE PEOPLE EXPOSED TO 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE?

Breathing: People can be exposed to 1,1,1-TCA when they inhale contaminated air. This is the most common type of exposure that occurs in the workplace. If people have contaminated drinking water in their home, they may be exposed to vapors when using water to cook, bathe, or do laundry.

Drinking/Eating: 1,1,1-TCA can enter the body when people drink contaminated water. Vegetables do not take up the chemical when they are grown in contaminated soil.

Touching: 1,1,1-TCA can be absorbed through the skin when people use products that contain the chemical, handle contaminated soil, or bathe in contaminated water.

DO STANDARDS EXIST FOR REGULATING 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE?

Water: The state and federal drinking water standards for 1,1,1-TCA are both set at 200 parts per billion (ppb). We recommend that you stop drinking water that contains more than 200 ppb of 1,1,1-TCA. Contact your local public health agency for more information specific to your situation.

Air: No standards exist for the amount of 1,1,1-TCA that is allowed in the air of homes. We use a formula to convert workplace limits to home limits. Based on that formula, we recommend that levels of 1,1,1-TCA in air be no higher than 8.0 parts per million (ppm). Most people can’t smell 1,1,1-TCA until the level is greater than 100 ppm. If you can smell the chemical, the level is too high to be safe.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources regulates the amount of 1,1,1-TCA that can be released by industries.

WILL EXPOSURE TO 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE RESULT IN HARMFUL HEALTH EFFECTS?

The following symptoms may occur immediately or shortly after exposure to a level of 1,1,1-TCA above 350 ppm in air:

Irritation of the eyes, throat and nose;
    Headaches, nausea and dizziness;
    Loss of balance;
    Loss of consciousness;
    Heart beat irregularities; and
    Drop in blood pressure.
    The following health effects can occur after several years of exposure to 1,1,1-TCA:

Organ Systems: Liver, lung, and brain damage can result from long-term or high-level exposures.

Cancer: Animal studies show that exposure to 1,1,1-TCA is not likely to cause cancer.

Reproductive Effects: Laboratory studies show no effect on reproductive systems or the developing fetus.

In general, chemicals affect the same organ systems in all people who are exposed. However, the seriousness of the effects may vary from person to person.

A person's reaction depends on several things, including individual health, heredity, previous exposure to chemicals including medicines, and personal habits such as smoking or drinking.

It is also important to consider the length of exposure to the chemical; the amount of chemical exposure; and whether the chemical was inhaled, touched, or eaten.

CAN A MEDICAL TEST DETERMINE EXPOSURE TO 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE?

For those individuals with frequent or potentially high-level exposures, liver function tests and neurological examinations may be performed. A medical evaluation that includes a careful history of past and present symptoms will provide a basis for future health exams.

Seek medical advice if you have any symptoms that you think may be related to chemical exposure.

(PPH 4354 Revised 3/2000)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fact sheet summarizes information about this chemical and is not a complete listing of all possible effects. It does not refer to work exposure or emergency situations.

For more information, contact:

Wisconsin Poison Control Center, 800-222-1222
    Your local public health health department
    Division of Public Health, BEH, 1 West Wilson Street, Rm. 150, Madison, WI 53701-2659, (608) 266-1120
    The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) Information Center toll-free at 1-888-422-8737 or e-mail ATSDRIC@cdc.gov

Back to Toxic Chemical Fact Sheet Index Page

Last Revised: December 01, 2004

Back to top | About | Contact | Disclaimer | Privacy Notice | Feedback

Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services
    Protecting and promoting the health and safety of the people of Wisconsin

[This Message was Edited on 04/22/2007]
  13. momof471

momof471 New Member

Would that be three years from when you quit working with the chemical's? If so, I've been out of it for 3 years and 8 mos. already. So I wouldn't be able to do that. Do you know what kind of a doctor you see to figure out if this is what your problems are due to? I have a new neurologist is he the one I bring this to his attention? Its seems like most of my issues are probably central nervous system related.Besides the pain and fatigue fo course.

God Bless
  14. 139864

139864 New Member

No !!! its from the day that you realise that all your symptoms are ( TCE ) related .& realising that you worked with the chemical for X amount of years
    You will have to talk to a Dr ..I think your own GP . If you can find an Environmental Dr. ..it would be so much easier ,as they understand more about chemicals than most Drs .Failing that A Neuro should also know . Take as much info .as you get hold of & tell them that you now know your symptoms only started after you had worked with it in Dry Cleaning .

If you can get a good lawyer they will have their own Dr's
    Don't rush into it .. just say you are seeking advice
    I wouldn't want you getting hurt anymore than you have been already ...But give it some thought & if you know anyone who you think might be able to assist you .. get them to help

I wish I could be more help to you ... but if I were you ... I would go for it !!!

Let me know either way ... I wish you all the luck in the world ... you deserve it

((( hugs )))
    Brenda

15. momof471

momof471 New Member

Thank you for all of your information Brenda. I will be getting the book you mentioned itsounds like there is much valuable info in it. I will be sitting down to write my timeline of medical events and talking with my neuro about this, I'm in the process of getting an MRI for my brain set up and he is getting all my medical records. I hope he will be helpful in putting this puzzle together. I should probably have a diagnosis of it before I get a lawyer, if I choose to go that route. You know Its funny, on my left forearm I have a red blotchy discoloration that I've probably had for 5 or 6 yars, the first time I see each new doctor they ask me what it is , I say I don't know you tell me and none of them seem to know. I'd bet you it is from those chemicals! I'll keep you updated, things are in an uproar right now with the new doc and stuff so I feel like I'm going crazy, but again I feel my eyes have been opened!

God Bless