Tricky Heart May Cause Chronic Fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Aug 3, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Tricky Heart May Cause Chronic Fatigue

Abnormal Heart Pumping After Excercise Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Daniel DeNoon, WebMD Medical News, April 14, 2003

April 14, 2003 -- Many people with chronic fatigue syndrome may have a serious heart problem. A new finding hints that blood circulation problems may be an underlying cause of the mysterious illness.
    Nobody is sure what causes chronic fatigue syndrome. As more becomes known, it's likely that some chronic fatigue patients will turn out to have different underlying problems than others. One major symptom, however, is feeling bad after exercise for more than 24 hours.

To Arnold Peckerman, MD, that sounds a lot like a blood circulation problem seen in some heart patients. These patients have something called left ventricular dysfunction, in which the main pumping chamber of the heart is weak. When you exercise, your heart pumps out more blood. But these patients' hearts actually pump less blood.

Peckerman's research team at the VA Medical Center in East Orange, N.J., used a sophisticated test to measure how well the heart pumps blood. They gave the test to 16 chronic fatigue syndrome patients, both before and after they exercised. They also tested four non-athletic volunteers. All of the patients' and volunteers' hearts' pumped normally during rest. After exercise, however, 13 of the 16 chronic fatigue patients' hearts pumped less blood than they did at rest.

"Basically we are talking about heart failure," Peckerman tells WebMD. "But chronic fatigue syndrome is a progressive disease. If we were able to detect this in its early stages, it is quite possible there might be a way to treat it."

Emory University cardiologist Joseph I. Miller III, MD, says Peckerman's findings on a potential cause of chronic fatigue syndrome are very interesting. He agrees that these patients have serious heart problems.

"Typically we see this in people with three-vessel heart disease," Miller tells WebMD. "A drop in [blood pumped by the heart] during exercise is not a typical response. It is actually a marker of significant coronary artery obstruction."

Given the severity of the finding, Miller wonders -- if heart problems might be a cause of chronic fatigue syndrome -- why more chronic fatigue patients aren't dying of heart disease. Both he and Peckerman agree that more study is needed.

What's happening to the hearts of people with chronic fatigue syndrome? It's too soon to tell, but Peckerman has a theory.

"There is some indication that chronic fatigue syndrome is precipitated by a viral infection," he says. "Some of the viruses that have been suspected have an affinity for the heart."

The virus infection might not be obvious, Peckerman suggests, because a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome is made only after six straight months of unexplained fatigue. And that's only a minimum. Most patients suffer much longer before being diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. That may explain -- if his research is confirmed in later studies -- why such a heart problem has not been found to be a potential cause of chronic fatigue syndrome before.

"It would appear that by the time they seek help and get diagnosed, the infectious process has run through and remaining signs of infection are very, very small," he says. "In the meantime, some organ damage may have been done. This may turn into symptoms later."

Peckerman reported the findings at this week's meeting of the American Physiological Society. His team is currently looking for more chronic fatigue syndrome patients to participate in heart studies.

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diagnosis/heart.html

2. findmind

findmind New Member

To us oldies here, this is not news, but the new ones need to see it, so thanks for posting it.

I have a real bad vent about one thing: the darn article says chronic fatigue in the headline, not chronic fatigue syndrome, which are two very distinct things!

That makes me so mad, because when people research, they don't get an article so titled, and could miss this most important facet of CFS.

For you newbies: this is why you MUST lie down when you feel the need to do so: CFS is saving our lives by making us lie down!
    So just do it! :)

If we all start asking our doctors what would help "Diastolic Heart Failure", maybe we would get some help. (The diastolic number is the bottom one in your blood pressure numbers.) This is very different from high BP; that's when one or both of the numbers are elevated.

The meds for congestive heart failure due to the high BP can actually make our worse and even kill us.

Girl Scout Motto: Always Be Prepared

There's always hope!
    findmind
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

You said: "The meds for congestive heart failure due to the high BP can actually make our worse and even kill us. "

What kind of meds are we talking about? High BP meds?

Would love to know, I am my own advocate!
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm going to see if I can find the article I read about the meds for usual CHF; it mentioned the meds. I cant paste with webtv...well, I can, I just can't learn!

I'll try to summarize it if I find it..if I don't get back to you, I didn't file it or cannot find it, ok?

Love ya,
    findmind
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Can't believe it...I found it!

Check it out: there are thre ways...

1)medpagetoday.com/tbprint.cfm?tbid=3763

or-

2) Forbes, 7/19/06:

or-

3) Aurigemma, GP, "Diastoic Heart Failure--A Common and Lethal Condition by Any Name, N. England J. Medicine 2006;355: 308-310.

I hope you can find it!

findmind
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I'm going to read it right away! Thank you bunches! I am still figuring things out, see,,,LOL!
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Thank you for the info.
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Many, many years ago I was dx'd with sinus tachycardia. My heart beats way too fast. I was treated with a Beta Blocker and it seemed to bring the heart rate down to close to normal. So what did my doctor do once the pulse got close to normal? He yanked me off the Beta Blocker.
    I would not have tolerated that now, but then I was very young and naive and believed doctors did only what was in the best interest of their patients, he he.

About a year ago, I got so weak I could hardly wiggle and noticed the racing heart, again. I wanted to chalk it up to the CFS but could not ignore the racing heart. I went to my NEW doctor, who put me on a holter monitor and did an EKG and explained that I now have what is called Supraventricular Tachycardia.

I am at a loss as to how to explain this, but it does have something to do with the way the blood is routed in the heart and is, from what he explained, something which has to be treated from here on out. I was put on Digoxin and told to monitor my pulse daily.

Recently I have seen that the Digoxin dosage I have been taking simply was not enough and have had to nearly double it. I am still adapting to having my pulse being taken from 140 or 150 beats per minute to 105 beats per minute. This adjustment has been unpleasant because my body had been use to a flying heart and now it is letting me know, with postural vertigo and other symptoms.

But the important thing, and the way my doctor explained it to me is this, the heart is a muscle too. And it can only take so much abuse. The way my heart was pounding, it was no surprise that some days I could barely move. And we have to do what it takes to get that pulse down, even if the adjustment with the med is unpleasant at the onset.

So I really am not shocked at all that CFS can be linked to heart and circulation irregularities. I would like to see everyone with CFS undergo a really thorough exam with a cardiologist and make certain that their own heart is okay. After all, we don't want them wearing out before they have to if it can be treated.
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

Extrememly interesing, thank you for posting
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

This is similar to an article re: Cheney's latest theory. It should be in the Library here if anyone is interested.

Marta
  11. ABCDfamily

ABCDfamily New Member

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with Supraventricular Tachyardia. This was discovered 3.5 years ago and my Cardiologist said I was more than likely born with it. There are studies similar to this write up that infer that CFS could be the causing factor. Who knows, the DR's do not care enough as this is difficult to figure out. Very few DR's are brilliant, in fact, they are no more brilliant than any of us here. To many DR's this is outside the box in which they operate. Not many DR's want to figure this out, it's time consuming and could take from their practice.

I am on toprol xl .25 mg to control my tachyardia. My DR. is currently questioning if I have become allergic to this medication due to the sun sensitivity and hives I have started with. Now I have all of these DR's in conflict with one another. My cardiologist says no way and my primary say's "yes, it can cause drug induced lupus" the Rheumy says do not take steroids (when I break out in hives) because it can cause problems down the road. In the meantime, this, minus the hives and sun sensitivity no one wanted to diagnose me with CFS until they could see proof. The thing is, most DR's have a specialty and not one DR. specializes in the autonomic nervous system. The CNS is another story but even then DR's have no real answers. It is up to us to become our own DR's. It's the chicken and egg scenario.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2006]
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I hear you! As I read Dr. Cheney's research I seem to follow the very pattern (the 3 stages of CFS) he describes. I believe he hit the head on the nail.

Thanks everyone else for replies, I know this stuff have been posted before, but there are as said new members here, and others have a good brain-fog like me, and forgot they ever read this stuff,,,LOL!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2006]
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

did you find that article on the diastolic heart failure? If yes, can you paste it into this thread?

I think it is vital that people are aware of it, don't you?

Thanks, dear person
    findmind
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I found the article again, here's the link:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/63/72082.htm?pagenumber=1

I am not sure where I originally found the link. I'll look around in my archives to see what I can find.

Lena
  15. findmind

findmind New Member

Now maybe others can look it up if interested.

Glad to see its at webmd, too, as others trust that site.

Thanks again, now if we can get somene to cut and paste it in, we'll really be in business, right?

There's always hope!
    findmind
  16. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you 'o computer literate one!!

Many ((((((hugs))))))), tooo

findmind