tricyclic antidepressants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aine, Jun 21, 2006.

1. aine

aine New Member

I have been taking Zimovane/zopliclone for the past 5 months to try and get some sleep ,it helped but now seems to be less effective. Has anyone any experience of using any of the following?
    Tricyclic Antipressant or
    Surmonti or
    Trazadone
    If so I would like to hear of any side effects or do they work
    Thanks

Aine
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have been taking Doxepin for quite a while. It is one of the most sedating of the tricyclics. For me, the biggest side effect was dry mouth. I found that I needed a combination to get the best sleep and often this is recommended. I added Imovane. It got me to sleep and the Doxepin kept me asleep, at least better than before. I don't think anything is perfect.

Kathy.
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but Trazadone works the best for me.Linda
  4. painandagony

painandagony New Member

doxepin works for me..
  5. painache

painache New Member

Do any of you who take doxepin find you have gained weight. My doctor wants me to double my night time dose.The pain is still keeping me awake. I take pain medication and doxipen to help me sleep and for pain relief. I have already gained about 15 pounds since starting the doxipen.
    painache
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been using Doxepin for at least 10 years I think. For MANY years I was at a low dose and gradually, over the years, went up to 125 mg. About 4 or 5 years ago my Dr. Got me on L-Tryptophan and (on my own) I gradually reduced my dose down to 10 mg. I have been at that 10 mg dose for 4 or 5 years. I also take 1500 mg Tryptophan and Rest & Restore (contains Gaba , Melatonin, Scullcap, Passionflower, 5HTP)

Yes, I have gained a LOT of weight over the years, about 100 lbs. It might be from the Doxepin I really down know. I also have CFIDS/FIBRO, Adrenal Insufficiency, Pituitary Dysfunction, HypoThyroid, Thyroid Antiboidies. I just know my metabolism is at about -0-.

Never had much in the way of side effects, just rather groggy in the morning, but at the low dose I take now I don't notice that.
  7. mariee

mariee Member

I am on 10 mg Doxepin at night for sleep and pain reduction.
    I haven't had significant weight gain, and I have been taking it for 5 years.
    Higher doses gave me nightmares...
    Hope to wean off in the next year.
    I take it w. 1/2 mg of Ativan.
    That is all I take
    Hope that helps.
    Marie