Tried Botox Shots for Migraines ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Dec 3, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Another thing on my list of things not tried. I'm definately scared of this as I've proven to be sensitive to various drugs & if it doesn't agree with me there's not much I can do about it for awhile. Thanks for any experiences, Laura.
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I started getting migraines in my teens. They were severe, but infrequent. When I came down with CFS, I started getting migraines much more frequently. Sometimes they lasted for days. It was awful.

I went through all the migraine meds and nothing worked. Luckily, once Imitrex came on the market, I got some relief. Then I developed an allergic reaction to Imitrex. I've tried Topomax and other drugs, but nothing touched my migraines.

Now I get Botox injections about every three to six months, and I'm virtually migraine-free during that time! I resisted this treatment because it sounded so crazy, but I was getting week-long migraines and the pain was just horrible. With the Botox, I sometimes (but rarely) get mild migraines which I can nip in the bud with Excedrin Plus.

Very little is used for this procedure. It involves about a dozen injections in the cranial muscles as well as the neck and shoulders (for me, not everyone). I have it done by a neurologist who specializes in pain and has been doing this for a while. I wouldn't trust just anyone.

I've never had any side-effects. The ones that I was told of sound just like CFS symptoms, but only last a week or so (and that's if you get side-effects).

This treatment has really been a life saver for me.
  3. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Yes, the botox is very helpful and I recommend it if your insurance covers it.

4. jake123

jake123 New Member

My neurologist said it would take about 100 shots for me, $600 for the botox and $600 for him to administer the shots and repeat every 3 months.
    I can't afford that and my insurance won't cover it. I am doing pretty good on my Topamax and Migravent, etc.
  5. kaths

kaths New Member

My doctor and I tried Botox shots a couple of years ago. It did nothing for my migraines. But I was very happy with my wrinkle-free forehead and diminished crow's feet. I was loathe to tell the doctor that it hadn't helped the migraines. I did tell him, but we tried it again three months later and still nothing.

My family practitioner, Morris Maizels, is an internationally known migraine researcher. I'm his guinea pig who didn't respond to Lidocaine nosespray, Botox or several other treatments.

I do hope it helps you.

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2006]
  6. pamlamb

pamlamb New Member

Hi. Yes I did have the shots and although my forehead didn't move, it did not help the headaches and I suddenly found (literally) I couldn't lift my head up and they had shot to much into my neck. I had to wear a collar for a few weeks. If I ever try it again, it will have to be only if they let me raise my forehead first before the injections. If I got a face lift out of the deal I might consider it again. Maybe since my circumstances are changed it would work now.