Tried KAVA last night, anyone else??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, May 20, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I tried KAVA for the 1st time last night with good results! I slept well and felt better than I had been in the morning. I went right to sleep which is very unusual for me.
    Has anyone else tried KAVA?? I would like to know the results others have had with it??
    Vicky
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I used Kava in the past but it has been banned from shop shelves in the UK. Apparently it can damage the livers of some users and it is difficult to predict to whom this might happen.

I found it a good way of settling going into overdrive. Would make me a bit sleepy at first then things would be so much better. Found it more effective than relaxation, meditation etc.

It can make you dream very vividly and so I'm not sure if it prevents stage 4 sleep.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2003]
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Dr. Teitelbaum recommended Kava in "From Fatigued to Fantastic" I have been reading this book and noticed Ginger was recommended also which I have found quite helpful for pain, nausea and dizziness.
    Dr. Teitelbaum's book is by far the best book I have read on FMS.
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

I haven't tried it. In Germany (and some other European countries) it's banned because it has been shown to cause liver (I believe, or some other vital organ) damage. I'm sure using little of it occasionally won't do harm, but do some research before you decide to use larger doses all the time.
    Susanne
  5. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Thanks for the replys about KAVA-I will do more research about liver damage.
    On Page 163 of Dr. Teitelbaum's book-he writes this about KAVA-counteracts fatique, soothes the nerves, aides in weight loss, excellent muscle relaxant, improxes mental functioning and clarity. He says KAVA works the same as Elavil without the side effects.
    On Page ll5-Dr. Teitelbaum writes that in rare cases-liver destruction has occured.
    I bought my KAVA from the ProHealth store here.
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I don't think you can damage your liver if you drink a cup of kava tea once in awhile. It is also great to drink it when company is over to keep yourself relaxed. One draw back with kava is it tends to make you thirsty. It sure helps those sore tight muscles though. As you have read it is important to not over indulge with it as it can do liver damage in higher dosages. My best to you VickyB. CLD