TRIED PILATES CLASS TODAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I FOUND IT VERY HARD GOING AND HAD TO KEEP STOPPING. HOWEVER, MY LEGS DON'T FEEL AS SORE BUT I WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW-I think it may be too much for most of us here, and I exercise a lot, but it sure is harder than it looks.

Anne
  2. mariee

mariee Member

this was the best physical therapy I ever had. I am looking for a new pilates instructor right now. My PT had extensive training in pilates. We started just w. core stretches...not much at all. And I was sore. I didn't get to use the reformer until 6 weeks into therapy. I was in a lot of pain but strong and lean. I feel I am better now, and would love to try it again.
    Take it very slow....worth a try!
    Best wishes!
    How did you find your instructor? Are you in a class?
    Mariee
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Our local Y have the classes. The instructor is trained in Stotts? It is just so hard to stretch when one is in pain, even though I stretch twice a day at home for 20 mins,and walk a lot, it was the non stop and the hard floor under thin mats. I basically get use of the Y for practically free due to low income, which includes use of all classes and machines. I had trouble bending my neck to watch too, as I have arthritic neck, but I am a firm believer in exercise as much as one can, it just seemed so easy watching rather than doing, but I am just coming out of a bad flare of three months. Thanks for encouragement.
    Anne
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I do well with Pilates as long as I only do the reformer (table). Once my trainer tried to start me on mat exercises my neck started hurting like crazy and I ached all over.

It is a lot harder than it looks!

Jan
  5. hob

hob New Member

Hi Cromwell,

Good for you! I have been doing yoga for a while and that seems to really help my aches. I am considering doing pilates but and nervous about the next day.
  6. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Cromwell, I hope the pilates works for you.

It is ok that you are tired just means your muscles were working, please keep us posted I would like to know how you do

thanks

hugs,

kgangel
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

fEELING BIT BETER NOW but see my HELP post of earlier today. I woke up with horrendous migraine and out of body feeling, in tremendous neck and head pain. Lasted 10 hours of total pain, and even now I feel weak and drained and shakey. I got scared about it so posted.

Now the pain is gone, my neck feels less painful than normal but I still feel awful like a HERX took place.

I am about to call my friend and suggest we do the water exercises instead for now as it was the mat that got my neck. I think trying to see what the instructor was doing too, twisting to see, when I know I cannot even turn to see in a car! I have not had a migraine so bad in years, it was just one of those that rips you apart and the neck pain. Funny though when it went it seemed to take the usual chronic pain wiht it. In fact, at one point, because the leg pain had lifted, I was convinced a blood clot had travelled from the leg to the neck/head, but DH reassured me the doppler was fine. I think I will just do my own gentle exercises in future and also, I am in my fifties, so maybe it was too much anyway. Love Anne