Tried provigil this week and don't think i see any change...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AquariusGirl, May 18, 2006.

1. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Hi,

My Doctor gave me 100mg provigil this week--started Sunday and I don't think I see any change(positive or negative).
    Does this drug work? Wondering if I should go up to 200mg?

Please chime in if it helps you or doesn't--I'd like feedback from both.

Thanks so much.
    Kelli
  2. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi Kelli:

I've been taking Provigil off and on for about a year now. I started off at 100mg. per day like you.

I did notice an improvement the first day, but not much after that. I increased to 150mg. per day, then 200mg. per day and finally 200mg. twice per day.

I still suffer with severe fatigue and am seeing my doctor next week to consider the Myer's Cocktail to see if that helps with my fatigue. I don't know what else to do.

Some doctors prescribe Dexedrine for fatigue, but my neuro is against stimulants that affect the cardiovascular system.

You may find that Provigil helps you, but you might have to increase the dosage to determine that.

I've noticed that if I skip it on the weekends, I'll notice that it works better on Monday morning, but only for a couple of days.

I hope you find some help with this medication.

Good luck to you,
    Liz
  3. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I tried it a few years ago and I didn't notice anything either. They kept upping my doses and nothing happened.
  4. chloediane

chloediane New Member

I actually have hope for the first time in two years that I can have a life, thanks to Provigil. I was on 100mg for about 4 months. just increased to 150mg a week ago.

See doctor (psychiatrist) the end of June and will see if a further dosage increase is warranted. It was prescribed for my industrial-strength depression and fatigue.

Over the two years that I have been diagnosed, I had tried about 10 different anti-depressants, under the care of my internist, with no success (which didn't help my depression!).

At any rate, I hope I can stay on this medication as long as I need to. Don't need sleep meds--but it could be my low dosage.

You might want to do a search of Provigil posts on the message board to find out what experiences others have had.

Good luck and God bless.

Diane

[This Message was Edited on 05/19/2006]
  5. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

when i first started taking it i noticed a big difference, but i swear it's not working anymore. i am falling asleep at work - not cool. my HMO refuses to pay for more than 1 pill a day so even though my doctor was willing to prescribe 2 a day, i couldn't get it. can't afford to pay out of pocket - it's over $300 for 30 pills. c
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

it acted like caffeine............but it put me to sleep!!

LIGHT**********carole
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The majority of people thought it was about as effective as caffeine. Like everything else, it doesn't work for everyone. Some here get help from it; some do not. For me, it had a paradoxical effect--it made me more tired and groggy. I believe this might be because I likely have ADD.

Provigil works in the area of the brain responsible for producing dopamine. I am not convinced it is safe. I did agree to try some samples from my doc but I would have had to think long and hard before taking it on a regular basis.

Love, Mikie
  8. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I take only 25mg as I cant take high does of anything or or it doesn't work.

I tried to explain that to a shrink and he kept wanting to UP the meds.

I said I know MY body NOT you.

So maybe a low dose of it. My GP is the same way . He cant
    take full doses either.

It works for me and I dont fall asleep in the afternoon and
    can get some stuff done arond the house

9. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I take only 25mg as I cant take high does of anything or or it doesn't work.

I tried to explain that to a shrink and he kept wanting to UP the meds.

I said I know MY body NOT you.

So maybe a low dose of it. My GP is the same way . He cant
    take full doses either.

It works for me and I dont fall asleep in the afternoon and
    can get some stuff done arond the house

10. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I take provigil, but in Canada its called (Alertec) I just started it, I took 100mg then went up to 200mg in 2 weeks, I don't feel any difference. Now I am trying something called "wake up" pills I saw in the drug stores ...I am so desperate to just wake up..lol I take the (Alertec) then 2 of the wake up pills and I am starting to see a bit of a difference. The pills are just something I saw on the shelf, cost 5.99$ its the caffine in them for sure. Hey I don't know, but they seem to be working for now...lol sometimes I take 3 when I am having a really bad day..
    sharo5650