Trigger Point Injections...Have you had them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Sep 7, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

My rheumy wants to give me TP injections tomorrow at my visit.

He says that its most likely the MP that is acting up and that increasing my pain meds probably wouldnt help.

How painful are they? I do not have a fear of needles or anything, Im just afraid its gonna hurt ALOT!

Also, did they work good for you, how long did they last?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  2. gormahlo

gormahlo New Member

Have had them on and off for a couple of years. Works for about 2-3 weeks or me. My rheumy would like it if they lasted 6 weeks, but alas... Yes, there is some pain involved but nothing compared to what you are probably already experiencing and the relief, no matter how short lived, is awesome. Try it... you'll like.
  3. jesfms

jesfms New Member

yeah they help me especially if a slow release cortisone is used with the lidocaine...most drs. can do them well...i have had as much as 3 months relief with them...the next day you wil have some soreness from the injections but not the everlasting achiness you have right now
  4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Yes, I've had them and am continuing to get them. It doesn't hurt much at all, and gives me about 3 weeks of relief. My Dr. uses saline solution. I read somewhere that using cortisone or lidocaine in tp injections isn't a good idea for fibro patients. (Think I read it in one of Devin Starlynal's books.)
    Give it a try! It's worth it!
    Mini
  5. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I get Novacaine shots in trigger points. It doesn't really hurt at all and it lasts at least a month or more.

I guess the novacaine tells your body you don't hurt any more and it kind of heals itself.

I was receiving cortisone shots until my doctor found out I had FM. They said it's not good for you in a long term basis.

k
  6. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi stephanie

I had the injections in my back I have ME/FM but found I had a bad reaction to the steroids in the injection, so i havent gone down that road again. I am based in the UK and have read that people with ME should avoid steroids. I dont want to put u off just wanted to share my experince. The injections themselves were not painful.
    Hope it works out and let me know how it goes.

take care

Gilly26
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Well from what Ive read so far...Id prefer the novicaine injections.

I hope my Rheumy has them.

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories. Im going today at 5:00 and you have put me more at ease. Thanks a ton!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  8. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

THEY DO HURT LIKE HECK THE DOCTOR SAYS IF THEY DON'T HURT HE DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT SPOT. THEY LAST ME ABOUT TWO WEEKS. I HAVE SIX ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO IN MY BACK AND HIPS AND WILL GO BACK MONDAY FOR MORE. I AM GETTING THEM EVERY TWO WEEKS AND HAVE HAD OVER TWENTY THIS YEAR. BUT IT DOES RELEIVE THE PAIN FOR A WHILE SO IT IS WORTH IT. I PROMISED FIVE YEARS AGO I WOULD HAVE NO MORE AND HERE I AM NOW ASKING FOR THEM IF THAT WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING
    I WOULD GIVE THEM A TRY

LOTS OF LUCK
    BARB
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've had these a bunch of times in various areas of my body and tend to think of them as super-acupuncture. They've been more helpful in fixing the residual effects of the head injury (e.g. mood swings) that immediately preceded my getting CFS than the CFS symptoms per se, I think. Sometimes the doctor will do a whole bunch of little ones on my head, which seem to help with agitation. Ones on my abdomen (especially up and down the merdian in front) seem to be more energizing. We always shoot the dozen or so scars on my body since some research suggests that helps. If you do that, make sure you shoot _all_ the scars, including wisdom teeth and tonsils if you've had either/both out. One time I didn't get the wisdom teeth done and had a real meltdown a day or so later. I don't think they hurt that much....no more than a deep massage. Just don't get freaked out if there's a bit of blood or sometimes bruising. I take a bath with a lot of Epsom salts in it afterwards to help with detoxification--probably this is a good idea with massage as well. Note: Fibromyalgia is not my main problem, and so I may be expecting too much when I say they don't help the CFS. I do also have some trigger point pain, and the shots do help with that, at least for several days after I have them done.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]