Trigger-Point Injections vs Massage Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Dec 10, 2008.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-

I'd like to get your opinions about trigger-point injections vs massage therapy- which seems to work better for you?

I recently went to my doc and got TPI's in my shoulders, mid-back, and neck. This time around, the injections haven't given me much relief; however, I haven't had them in over a year. Maybe I'm just so "knotted-up" that it will take a few more times to notice a difference.

Since I do not have insurance, I can't afford the TPI's and massage therapy.

Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Didn't help me either at least not for more than a few days, but I can't answer to the massage therapy....can't stand the thought of anyone touching me!

I have seen many reports here that massage therapy has helped them:)

3. steach

steach Member

I hadn't been to see my chiropractor in 3-4 months because I no longer have health insurance- but I did go today. He also does the deep tissue massage, the electronic stim., and adjusts me.

I am sore from him working on me but I am waiting to find out how long the soreness will last and how long it will take to feel better. If this helps, then I'm not going to get anymore TPI's.

The chiropractor told me that the TPI's only treat the symptom and not the problem. He also told me that long-term use of the injected medication can cause tissue damage. He said that some exercise regimen will help to move the lactic acid out of the muscles/tissue, which causes the "knots".

I just can't afford to do both. I hope I get some relief. :( :(

4. ryder442

ryder442 New Member

I had started TPIs and massage therapy when I was first diagnosed but at the time I had no insurance and the treatment was very expensive. The short time I was receiving treatment it seemed to help a bit but hard to say for sure because the short term I was given the treatment. I have plans to find a doctor now that I have coverage and try it again.
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Neither one helped me until I found the "right" massage therapist who had made it her lifes missions to learn the correct deep tissue therapy massage for FM/CFS patrans. Then and only then did I find relief. She really knows what she is doing.