Trigger Point Injections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by letmysoulshine, Apr 30, 2007.

1. letmysoulshine

letmysoulshine New Member

Just wondering if any of you have had long term relief from trigger point injections. I have had several sets of them, done by 3 different doctors, all who have done them differently. I seem to have a couple of days of relief, then the muscle tightens back up and the pain comes back. I have extremely tender spots all over my body. I am still waiting for my referral to the ruemetologist. I am just wondering if these worked for any of you, and if yes, was there something you were instructed to do after the injections to get maximum relief? And if no, what reason did the doctor give you for them not working? Any insight would be great.
    Thank you
  2. MoosesMom

MoosesMom New Member

If a Dr. tried to give me an injection in a tender point the next thing he would be saying is "I'm terribly sorry Ma'am, as soon as I get off the floor I will be refunding your money and ripping up my medical license." ;-)

I'm sorry they don't work for long periods.
  3. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I have had 4 sets of these. Mine are a "cocktail" formulated by my rheumatologist. They contain lidocaine, prednisone and dexamethasone. The first 3 helped for a couple of weeks but the last set did nothing whatsoever.

It is like he gave me a placebo set of shots :) This doc freezes the trigger points before he injects. It really doesn't hurt a bit.

I don't understand why he seems to push these trigger point injections. Is it that they make so much money from them?

I have taken my last. Steroids suppress the immune system and puts the adrenal glands in a state of hibernation. I have not felt anything from the last set so I am surely not going to take these potent and sometimes harmful medicines when they do no good.

Good luck to you :)

Andy