TRIGGER POINT MASSAGE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by terena, Sep 25, 2006.

1. terena

terena New Member

DOES THE TRIGGER POINT MASSAGE THERAPY HELP WITH MIGRAINES? I SEEM TO HAVE MIGRAINES ALMOST EVERYDAY AND HAVE TO TAKE ZOMIG, WHICH MY INS. ONLY PAYS FOR TWICE A MONTH. I HAVE BEEN GETTING CRANIAL-SACRAL THERAPY BUT SO FAR I AM STILL GETTING HEADACHES.
  2. swiss

swiss New Member

It helps me so, so much. I hope it will help you too.

Michele
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

I used to get migraines almost daily. I called my doc who rx'd me a med. Can't remember the name right now, but it was 6 pills that cost me $100.00. Had to take 2 to get rid of the migraine. I couldn't afford that so I search the internet for info on something natural that might help. On the National Migraine website they listed the herb "Feverfew" for migraines. I tried it & it worked for me.

I purchased a bottle of "Feverfew" capsules & took them according to the instructions on the bottle(3 per day). If I remember right (OK who on here does anymore, LOL) it was a months supply. Migraines went away. After that I lowered the dose to 1 capsule per day. I rarely get migraines anymore.

I also made sure my MD knew I was taking them. He's open to herbs/vitaims/etc too, so he had no problems with me trying it.

Hope you find relief soon. I know how miserable you feel :(.

Toy

4. suz45

suz45 New Member

Haley I think you hit the nail on the head. (no pun intended). With Trps the pain can be in one trigger point, say your neck or back, for me the shoulder area, which when in a flare the pain will start at the tirgger point knot in my left shoulder and cause a sharp or throbbing pain in my head.

My DC was able to identify this spot, this knot is deep in my shoulder blade region so it will take so time to get it released from the trigger point therapy.

Another key point is to drink water after treatments to flush out the nasty toxins that have accumulated from being all bound up. Also I still continue to try and do some for of streching usually yoga or pilates with a meditative session to keep my muscles as relaxed as possible.

Have you doctor or LMT go over each tigger point, perhaps they have not located and rleased the correct one yet.
    The movement therapy helps to keep the Trps from losing oxygen, thats when the pain and referred pain sets in. Keeping the muscles oxegenated seems to decrease the severity and frequency of the trgger points. The little buggers thrive in anarobic conditons. Devin Starnyl in her book talks at length about MPS and trigger points.

Hope this is helpful, I know how frustrating this can be.

In wellness
    Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I've found a chiro who does myofascial release, trigger point, soft tissue manipulation and adjustments. He's a gem! So far no adjustments just working on the muscles and icing and drinking lots of water after treatments.!

Cindy
  6. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

I have had many massages over the years. I have had sports massages, reflex massages, typical relaxation muscle massages, deep tissue massages, and trigger point massages.

I have had headaches, typical sinus type and migraine massages for 10 years or so. It is a lovely family trait apparently. I will say a REGULAR massage is a wonderful help with the headaches. But I do mean regularly scheduled massages. How often...depends on YOUR body. I have a friend with FM and she goes once a month...and she is good. I have to go every week.

I have paid as much as $100 for massages (some were gifts). But the BEST massage I EVER received is from an ODD source. My favorite place is the middle of our local mall. IT sounds weird I know. I tell my girlfriends it is more fun than a girl should have in the middle of a mall with her clothes on.

I know it is a bit unorthodox. But my mall has a little place with a group of Asian men offering trigger point massage in the middle of the mall in the massage chairs. Mine charges $12 for 12-15 minutes...and more if you want it (though it is all I need). It is cheap enough to go fairly often, and no appointment is necessary.

The biggest rule with any massage...drink loads of water for the next two days. That helps to flush the toxins OUT of your body. If you do not drink A LOT of water, the toxins will resettle in your body and you will have a new pain in a different location.

If you are really sore...take a friend with you to drive and take Tylenol, Motrin, or even a muscle relaxer before. It helps me personally to keep my body relaxed to get the most from the massage.

Good luck!

Jenni
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes. Massage therapy should help you. It may be a bit painful at times-trigger point massage, and you may be a bit sore, but the overall feeling should bring you some relief.

THE BIG KEY IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE THERAPIST YOU CHOOSE IS EXPERIENCED AND TRAINED IN THIS AREA AND HAS A TOUCH FOR MASSAGE.

I feel like I could help you with your migraines through massage therapy, but we are probably not nearby each other. I hope that you will give it a try and maybe it will help you.

Kriket