Trigger Point Massage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shrtcak81, Jan 31, 2007.

1. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

I read on a website how to give myself trigger point massage. Last night, I tried loosening those trigger points with a tennis ball. I'm not sure if I was doing it right, but it really hurt. I thought by today I would feel better, but I went into a major flare:( Maybe I need to go to a professional before I try doing it on myself. Has anybody had this experience? Also, have any of you really benefited from it, and if so, how long did it take? Thanks!

Crystal
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I have tried to do some trigger point therapy on myself and I was not significantly helped by it. Massage therapy with a professional can be very good, however, they are not all equal in achieving desired results. I have had 7 massage therapists over several years; only 2 helped me significantly. The others would produce some improvement that would be exceedingly shortlived i.e. one day. The massage therapists that worked for me were ones who were working out problematic areas. As such I would have longer lasting effects.
  3. jole

jole Member

It really does help me. My daughter is a PT so whenever she can (she doesn't live too close by, is married with children and works FT) she will give me a massage. It can really hurt to have all those knots massaged out, and takes her over an hour.

If they aren't all released, you will tighten back up again very soon. The trick is to get them ALL completely loosened up, and if you have a lot of them, you simply cannot do that by yourself. You may get the worst, but not all of them. It takes too long and if you're like me, you don't have that kind of energy.

After they are released, you need to drink lots of water to get rid of the toxins, and if possible go to bed for an hour or so afterwards to ensure the muscles stay relaxed. If I don't, they will begin to tighten back up.

Plan to be quite sore the next day - not pain, but sore. My pain is usually gone for several days, even in bad weather after a massage, which is heaven!! Wish I could have it done more often, but simply cannot afford it.
  4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I work on my TP's with a tennis ball regularly. I also have it done by my physical therapist. Using a dual headed massager is also helpful.

The most successful approach, however, is trigger point injections at the doc's office. She injects areas my hubby has marked in permanent marker (he finds them with the tennis ball). She uses sailene solution, not medication, as I've read that saliene is better for fibro patients.

After she releases 6-7 trigger points, I can feel my whole body relax. I breathe deeply, and it feels like heaven!

However, as someone mentioned, if you don't get them all, they will come back. It's impossible for the doc to do hundreds of TP's in one sitting, so usually they come back in a month or so.
    Best of luck,
    Mini