Trigger point site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deepak, Jan 26, 2012.

1. deepak

deepak Member

Found a good site which shows all the different trigger points and the referred pain if you roll the mouse on the point.

http://www.triggerpointcharts.com/

Love,
    Deepak
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Trigger Point is the term applied to Myofacial Pain, which is a different condition from FMS. There is referred pain with MP.

They are called Tender Points with FMS and there are charts which show where they are.

This may seem like semantics but the conditions are different. The confusion often causes people with FMS to try treatments for MP. Sometimes they work but, most often, the FMS pain returns shortly. Physical therapy massage can heal MP by ridding the facia of the knots which cause the original and referred pain. Of course, one can have both. I did after an auto accident. I got rid of the MP but the FMS continued.

Love, Mikie
  3. deepak

deepak Member

I was under the impression that FM causes MP too. Thanks for correcting me.

Love,
    Deepak
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure that FMS causes MP but it is possible to have both, as I mentioned above. Many people without FMS have MP.

Love, Mikie
  5. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I have both of them myself...along with degenerative disc disease. I had FMS first but the doctor didn't say that one was related to the other. He is just trying to find something that will help me. It sucks and I'm getting really depressed but I gotta keep plugging along...try to keep my job...and raise my kids!

Rebecca
  6. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

price but I think that prolotherapy helped my SI joint dysfunction (as its purpose was to shorten/strengthen some of the too lose ligaments).

I am seeing a pain dr now and have learnt that so many things can cause pain! I wasn't sure what trigger points were until he injected them (and caused muscle twitching etc), though I did know that they were different than FMS tender points (which I don't think that I really have).

Warning about trigger points in the mid/upper back - injections to that area do have some risk. When my pain dr. was performing the 'little pieces of heaven' nerve blocks (that's the term that I've given them - a wee bit of relief from horrible, unrelenting pain), he accidently punctured my lung. Two times.

Spent the evening in the ER on high flow oxygen thanks to a small pneumothorax. Sigh.

After that episode, I'm still getting nerve blocks but I'm beyong nervous for any trigger point as well as intercostal blocks!!!