Trigger Point--Tender point clarification!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Msdeana, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Msdeana

Msdeana New Member

Myofascial pain syndrome (MPS) is a fancy way to describe muscle pain. It refers to pain and inflammation in the body's soft tissues. It’s a chronic condition that affects the fascia (connective tissue that covers the muscles). The area where a person experiences the pain may not be where the myofascial pain generator is located. The actual site of the injury or the strain prompts the development of a trigger point that, in turn, causes pain in other areas. This situation is known as referred pain.

"Trigger Points" are extremely sore points occurring in ropy bands throughout the body. You can feel them as painful lumps of hardened fascia, like nodules or like hardened peas. TRIGGER POINTS ARE NOT PART OF FIBROMYALGIA! Furthermore, some of the treatments normally prescribed for FM patients can cause damage to those patients which have both FM & MPS.

FM is a state of central sensitization. This means that your central nervous system may be unusually sensitive to pain and you also may find certain sounds, vibrations, light, and other sensations (even smells) to be translated by your body into discomfort or pain. All these things, promote increased sensitivity to other stimuli. Diffuse, body-wide pain is part of FM, but not all of it by any means. You have probably heard about the official FM definition requiring 11 of 18 tender points to be present in the upper right and left and lower right and left parts of your body.

"Tender points" occur in pairs on various parts of the body. In traumatic FM, tender points may be clustered around an injury instead of, or in addition to, the 18 "official" points. These clusters can also occur around a repetitive strain or a degenerative and/or inflammatory problem, such as arthritis.

If a person has both FM and MPS, physical therapy and all other forms of treatment must proceed very carefully when both of these conditions are involved, because any excess pain caused by the therapy can further sensitize the central nervous system

I have both, so I have what one might call a double whammy! The injections I got were an anesthetic-xylocaine, alone with a steroid-cortisone given in my tender point areas, both hips.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion for those of us who forget, and those who are newbies.

Huggies Deana. (RN)
  2. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Thanks so much for this clarification. I've seen many people use trigger points and tender points interchangeably.
  3. lostinttown

lostinttown New Member

so if I hurt all over , but do not have 11 -18 tender points , could it still be fm ?