Triggers? New here...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nancyr, May 8, 2003.

1. nancyr

nancyr New Member

I was dignosed about 2 months ago after just one severe cycle of pain. I've had several cycles since then. The last one started 2 days ago, the night after I excersied for 40 minutes (moderately walking on treadmill and crosstrainer) and just before my period started. Could either or both have been the trigger?

My exercise was only moderate and I hadn't exercised in about a week. The menstrual cycle seems like the most likely trigger. It started as really bad cramps that just got worse and worse until it completely engulfed the lower half of my body. The pain was similar to being in labor and I was unable to sleep that night or even just lay there. Laying there just hurt too badly. After a hot bath and a vicadin I was able to get a few hours of sleep.

I seem to get worse at night. Perhaps it's just that there is less else to concentrate on or because I am moving less. I have no idea how to look at this or how to approach it.

I'm looking for a great doctor in the Chicago area and would like to participate in reserch if that's possible. I heard about something very interesting at Rush-Presbyterian. A

Any suggestions, thoughts? How do I convince a doctor to give me vicadin for this? I treat it like gold when I have access to it. I just can't get it from the doctors. Bextra is fine to take the edge off, but when it gets intolerable to the point the I am crying, Bextra doesn't do it.

Anyone in the Chicago area here? Thank you!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Nancy, welcome to the board. It sounds like you did too much exercise, slow it down to about half the time you are doing now and see if it helps.

Also, for that night time pain, get a 'wireless mattress heating pad' for your bed. They are just wonderful for that night pain and stiffness. They can be bought at Sear's Penny's, and Wal-Mart, online also.

Have you tried ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), for sleep and pain? It works wonders.

You can go to the 'Store' link at the top of this page and read about it. It has turned my life around with sleeping.

As for a doctor, you can try the 'Doctor Referral' link at the top of the page. Or I am sure we have many members here from your area that will be glad to share their doctor with you.

Again, welcome to the board!

Shalom, Shirl
  3. nancyr

nancyr New Member

Shirl,

Thanks for your message. Exercise is something that I've done for many years. It is really sad to think I can't really do it at even a moderate level right now. Stregnth training, as opposed to aerobic exercise, doesn't seem to hurt me as much.

I've gained 50 pounds over the past winter and I can't figure out how to get out of this horrible hole I am in. There are so many suggestions for supplements and alternative treatments, not to mention conventional drugs, it is overwhelming.

All of this first started after I overdid it gardening last summer and was diagnosed wtih carpel tunnel. I'm wondering if that could have been the initial trigger?

4. mkhppr

mkhppr New Member

Nancy,

I have been very happy with my doctor. He has a very busy practice in Schaumburg and has the whole gamut of physical therapy and alternative therapies as well as traditional medical care.

I'd be happy to send you his contact information.

(Moderator: I'm new to this message board. Can I give you his name and contact info on-line?)

Mary
  5. vix

vix New Member

me periods are a trigger, I usualy get worse about two to three days prior to them and feel terrible for several days after, though I have experienced months where the pain hasn't let up from period to period, excersise also makes me worse if I over do it, but hey over doing anything makes me worse!

sorry you're feeling so bad, I hope it eases up.