Triglycerides are 800

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, May 18, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Dr. just called to say my Triglycerides are 800, and they are very concerned. They said they called in Tricore to my pharmacy to start to take asap and meet with Dr. On May 31st.

I was on Tricore, about 2 yrs ago and had to stop because the leg cramps were too much to handle. And that was before I was diagnosed w/FM. (even tho i think i had FM for many years)

What a way to play back a voice mail message after the Dr.'s office closes and I now have to wait.

So here I am up for the second time tonight because I cant sleep.

I really hate this waiting game. grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I need to be prepared when I go see him. What are some of the questions I should be asking?
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

ever since I had a thyroid problme I have had high cholesterol. But never this high.

I am not looking forward to taking another med. I know I need too take the Tricore, but I tried it before and the leg pains were bad.

I know when I call the Dr. back I will tell them about the Tricore problem. But I dont know what else I need to ask them. 800 is such a high #.

Thanks & God Bless,
    Cin
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi:

My triglycerides were so high they couldn't even get an accurate cholesterol reading. I also am hypothyroid. I'm sure that it has something to do with it.

My Dr put me on Lipidil Supra (Tricor in the States). My tri's are normal now but my cholesterol is still elevated. I'm trying to eat more healthily as well as walk every day for 30 minutes.

My FM acts up sometimes with the walking but I take pain meds to handle that. Exercise is more important. I have low BP (100/55) and no other heart risks on either side of the family.

If you haven't had your thyroid tested recently, have your Dr do a full work up (not just the TSH)

All the best,

Eileen
  4. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

were over 1100! The doctors put him on niaspan & another drug but I just can't remember the name right now! (I hate that, it will come to me though eventualy)

Anyway, the count came right down and he has stayed around 200 for several years now. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his heart so don't jump to conclusions and scare yourself!

This is very treatable.

Good Luck!

Fitzh2o

5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

There is another product available called "Omacor" that is a prescription for reduction of triglyceride levels - you may want to ask your doctor about that one.

Hugs,
    Madame curie
  6. Suze

Suze New Member

When my triglyceride levels were at 547, the doctor said I was eating more carbs than my body could handle. I eliminated sugar, bread, pasta, and potatoes from my diet, and my triglycerides went down to 75. I also lost 40+ pounds, and my BP dropped considerably as well.

Ten years later, I'm still off sugar and white potatoes. I eat pasta about once or twice a year (no exaggeration), and bread only if I'm in a good restaurant and the bread is excellent...and warm. I've added more carbs in the form of fruit and occasional sweet potatoes and beans, so I've gained about 12 lbs. back and my triglycerides are around 125 or so.

High triglycerides are a big heart risk, especially for women. But I wish more doctors would think DIET before DRUGS.

Suze
  7. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Hi cinnveet,

I'm not talking about a "diet", but a way of eating that can help this problem.

I follow a low carb/high protien style of eating that keeps me feeling my best. I'm not fanatic about it - hey, I still love an occasional latte! LOL!

There is a book called "Blood Sugar Blues" by Miryam Williamson which explains in great detail how a eating too many carbs can elevate insulin levels, triglycerides and other things and affect our FM/CFS.

You can read more about it at her website:

www.mwilliamson.com

She is an amazing woman, and her books are full of good information and practical advice.

Good luck,

julie (is free!)

Something's gotta give me butterflies
    Something's gotta give me dreams at night
    I don't know what it is
    but something's gotta give.. - Lee Ann Rhimes
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You know I have found that we have to do a far longer fast to get accurate tryg. levels etc. I think we all have that slow emptying going on.

How long had you fasted for? And had you had anything sugary at all? Sugars actually push the Try. levels way up strangely.

Love Anne C
  9. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Wow, what great advise. Thank you so much.

I do eat like a bird already. Oatmeal for breakfast. Salad w/ken's italian lite for lunch. and by the time i get home from work i am so tired and hurting so bad that what ever my husband cooks, chicken w/veggies, pork w/veggies etc... I barley have any because I need to lay down for a little bit.

I fasted before going for blood work, nothing to eat or drink past 8pm the night before.

I had a complete blood work up and I am waiting to see all the results.

Because of the Tri. being at 800, they said they couldnt get a reading on any of the other cholestorel.

Thanks again, & God Bless,
    Cindy
  10. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

bump for more suggestions