Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LEFTYGG, May 11, 2005.

LEFTYGG Member

after blood work yesterday they called and said my triglycerides were so high my cholesterol couldnt be registered. then the nurse said it was from eating junk food cheap ice cream and peanuts i said i dont eat that much junk food and i felt it was inherited
    she ordered me some meds forgot what cause i was upset i take enough meds now. oh and she said do u take fish oil i said yes she said ive heard that raises triglycerides so back off now i read on internet diet is best option i think ice tea with sugar is problem any other ideas would u take meds or try diet she said it will take 3 mos to test again my father died at 52 of heart attack thanks
  2. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Hmmm--now, I am not completely sure on this, but I'll spit it out anyway, and you can go research it for sure yourself (or someone here who knows will respond).

I believe I heard that if you are going to get your blood drawn for cholesterol and triglycerides and you take fish oil or evening primrose oil, or other kinds of oil, you are supposed to stop taking the oils maybe three days before the test . . .

Again, not sure on that, but it could give you somewhere to start looking.

And, that nurse sounds TOTALLY rude! What an awful thing to say to a patient. And, I am betting that if your triglycerides were so high they couldn't do a cholesterol reading, then something was wrong--either it was the fish oil, or a lab error.

TAke care,

LEFTYGG Member

thanks nicole ill look into that i am overweight but she was bigger than me so whose eating junk food lol in her defense i saw her being very caring to people thats the first time i had seen her
  4. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Hhhmmmmm, I didn't know anything about the fish oil raising cholesterol. I just started Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil as I'm getting no omega's from fish,,,cuz I just hate fish but eat ground flax seed everyday.

My trigs were somewhere in the 900 ranges and my total cholesteral was 463. Yup,,,,you got it, I was a walking time bomb. This was not totally based on diet though as I'm a very slim 125 pounds. High chol and heart attacks run on both sides of my family.

I did however switch over to the Aktin's diet and my chol is now 225 and my trigs are in the 500s now.

I refused to take the statin drugs (Zorcor, Lipitor) and just added in Questran 13 days ago. Will be intersting to see my figures in a month.

I hope someone comes along with more info on the fish oil.

Best wishes..................

LEFTYGG Member

6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I also had triglycerides so high they couldn't get a cholesterol reading. No family history, normal weight, regular diet.

Was put on Lipidil and everything came down to normal. Shortly after, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. One if the many problems it causes is elevated lipid levels, cholesterol and triglycerides.

You might want them to check that out. Hypothyroidism has many similar symptoms to FMS.

LEFTYGG Member

i take thyroid meds but maybe not enough thx ill check
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My triglycerides were 127, but my cholesterol went down from 313 to 283 just from being on regular household cinnamon (1/2 tsp a day) for 6 months.

I am on Lipitor and now I'm on Zetia too. I don't seem to have any side effects from the meds. I take so many of them anyway. I, too, have hypothyroidism and take meds for that also.

I feel the nurse was rude to you. I have had lab people accuse me of lying about whether I was fasting for the blood test or not.

Well I did take my meds and drink diet drinks, but didn't eat anything. I do like fish, though. I try not to snack on anything, but for salty foods, pretzels are a good choice because they aren't high in fats.

Good luck to you. I know how hard it is and I have a lot of weight to lose too.

9. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

And it always comes back normal. My cholesteral has been high along with my triglycerides. Recentblood labs have shown cholesteral innormal range, but triglycerides super high along with my Ferratin. I don't understand.

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Leftygg --My cholesterol and my triglycerides were both very high about 6 months ago = cholesterol was 297, I forget what the triglycerides were but they were quite high.

My doctor told me that high triglycerides were often linked to sugar intake. The only sugar I ate was raisins, but I ate a lot of them, so I cut them out totally - it was easier than trying to ration them. So the sugar in your iced tea may very well be the culprit for the high triglycerides.

This is what I did and in about 5 months my cholesterol was down to 207, and my triglycerides were within the normal range:

6,000 mg. fish oil a day - my doctor advised the fish oil to lower cholesterol

cut out sugar, except for a piece of fruit a day

2 tablespoons ground flaxseed about 5 days a week- I grind my own fresh, and keep in the freezer to keep from going rancid

two 300 mg. pantethine softgels a day - I buy Swanson's Vitamins brand on-line, it was the cheapest. Pantethine is a related to pantothenic acid, a B vitamin - you can google it and read more about it

Cooked oat bran cereal (I like it better than oatmeal) about twice a week

And that was it. It worked like a charm. My lower triglycerides were especially amazing.

11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Here's my hypothesis about that:

Because of glutathione depletion in the mitochondria of the cells, the Krebs cycle becomes partially blocked at aconitase, near its beginning, just beyond citric acid.

Both carbohydrates and fats have to enter the Krebs cycle at the beginning. They are thus subject to this partial block. The result is that PWCs are not able to burn carbohydrates and fats at normal rates to produce energy. If they continue to ingest more carbohydrates or fats than their Krebs cycle can handle in their partially blocked condition (which can be very little in some cases), the body has no choice but to convert the carbohydrates to fats, and to store the fats. Triglycerides are fats. That's the connection between consuming sugar and having high triglycerides.

This is also the reason why many PWCs feel more energetic and gain less weight on high protein diets. Protein is broken down into amino acids. Amino acids are interconvertible, and some of them can enter the Krebs cycle beyond the partial block. The result is that PWCs can burn protein to produce energy better than they can burn carbs or fats.

This is based on the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block (GD-MCB) hypothesis for the pathogenesis of CFS. This hypothesis is also the basis for the simplified treatment approach for lifting the partial methylation cycle block, which is helping at least two-thirds of PWCs who try it. For more information, please read my post of July 18, 2007.