Triglycerides

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wingingit, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I got my results back from a medical checkup yesterday and it seems that my Triglycerides are dangerously high.
    They were fine a year ago, but all of my FMS symptoms came on about 6 months ago. My appetite has gone down and I haven't changed my diet at all. I rarely eat fast food and when I do I buy a salad (hate hamburgers and fries). I eat only chicken and fish and lots of veggies and fruit so I'm stumped as to how I am going to revise my diet to bring the cholesterol down. I can't understand why it has jumped so suddenly when nothing I do has changed...Is this just old age or is it a direct result of the FMS?
    Anyone else had this sudden problem? It scares me to death!
    The last thing I need is pancreitis or a heart attack.
    I also noticed I have gained 12 pounds and it's all on my waistine.
    I'm dealing with a doc who doesn't believe in FMS and says I don't have it because my tender spots are not in the right places...but they are definitely here there and everywhere.
    Any diet tips or answers to this puzzle would be a Godsend!
    Thanks in advance.
    Nan
  2. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I got my results back from a medical checkup yesterday and it seems that my Triglycerides are dangerously high.
    They were fine a year ago, but all of my FMS symptoms came on about 6 months ago. My appetite has gone down and I haven't changed my diet at all. I rarely eat fast food and when I do I buy a salad (hate hamburgers and fries). I eat only chicken and fish and lots of veggies and fruit so I'm stumped as to how I am going to revise my diet to bring the cholesterol down. I can't understand why it has jumped so suddenly when nothing I do has changed...Is this just old age or is it a direct result of the FMS?
    Anyone else had this sudden problem? It scares me to death!
    The last thing I need is pancreitis or a heart attack.
    I also noticed I have gained 12 pounds and it's all on my waistine.
    I'm dealing with a doc who doesn't believe in FMS and says I don't have it because my tender spots are not in the right places...but they are definitely here there and everywhere.
    Any diet tips or answers to this puzzle would be a Godsend!
    Thanks in advance.
    Nan
  3. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

about yr and a half ago, when this fibro was really starting to click in my triglicrides were up to OVER 1,000!
    Cholestral was 394 and bad (hdl or ldl can't remember which is bad) was sky high also. The doc put me on lopid and mevacore together and it went down fast, at least the triglicerides. Now at 200+. and cholestral is around 254. A lot better so he just has me taking Lopid now twice a day cause taking the two together is not good practice. Can cause lots of problems. Have read and also asked the dr. about the side effects of the two drugs which can cause muscle pain and joint pain. He said that I DO have fibro and this crap is not caused by the meds. I was really just trying to convince him and myself that I didn't have fibro but was just the meds. But, didn't work. Hey, I gave it a hell of a try!
    Betty
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You want your triglycerides at 200 or less....the lesser the better! The best way to get them down is to completely STOP all flours and sugars. That means bread, pasta, etc... Eat ONLY meats, fish, vegy's (no spuds) and fruit. Absolutely do NOT touch margarine. It's got the transfatty acids that cause your blood to thicken and promote clots. This is because it's a manmade product and uses chemicals that causes it to gel...it does NOT break down in our system. Use butter if you must, it is all natural and breaks down easily in your system. Trust in nature, what she makes is generally good for us and what we and scientists make, usually turns out to be BAD for us!

Try the Atkins diet, not only will your cholesterol show a dramatic improvement, but you'll drop that extra weight real fast!

Marilyn :)
  5. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I started taking flax oil after my triglycerides shot up, and brought them down 100 points. I was so pleased that I got my mother to try it, and she has been able to stop her lipitor. Now my mother-in-law is trying flax oil, but it's too soon to tell how well it's going to work for her. (It did not effect my cholesterol levels, but it brought them down for my mother.)
    Kitty =^..^=
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Use the search feature to find all our posts using either the words diet or Syndrome X. When weight is gained around the middle, it signifies insulin resistance which can raise blood pressure, cholesterol, trigicerides, and eventually turn into diabetes. Marilyn's post is right on the money. BTW, it was Klutzo who brought Syndrome X to our attention; thanks again, Klutzo.

Love, Mikie
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I agree with SSMarilyn that diet is a MUST. Simple carbs/starches will have negative effects on your cholesterol, but from the sound of it that might not be your problem. I eat very few carbs, and when I had my initial blood-work with my current dr., a year ago, my levels were high:

Triglycerides 212
    Total Cholesterol 256
    LDL 158

To combat this she first wanted to target my severe case of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroidism). Often when the thyroid is not balanced the lipid panel will be less than desirable. So, I added Armour thryoid (a higher dose than most dr.s consider appropriate) and Sporanox (for systemic candida infection). Here were my results just 2 months later:

Triglycerides 128
    Total Cholesterol 199
    LDL 122

Sometime after this I was hospitalized. I had NOT reduced my dosage from 2.0 grains to 1.5 grains as my dr. had recommened at the last visit (I was waiting to use up all the 2.0 I had). So, when the hospital ran tests, my thyroid level was too high (according to their standards) so I was told to completely stop taking my thyroid medicine for awhile. Needless to say, after a few weeks off my medicine my lipid panel results were not pretty:

Triglycerides 216
    Total Cholesterol 180
    LDL 93

Got back on my thyroid medicine and these were my results:

Triglycerides 136
    Total Cholesterol 198
    LDL 122

I was also doing Suzanne Somer's diet at this time and my dr. wasn't too concerned about this increase in LDL as some of my other markers had changed. While it wasn't in the high range, it was higher than she wanted but was still in good shape. She attributed it to diet change.

A few months ago she lowered my thyroid medicine (Armour) from 1.5 grains to 1.0 grains. Not only was I exhausted (at times lethargic), where before I had incredible energy, my levels were elevated:

Triglycerides 141
    Total Cholesterol 206
    LDL 121

I just had more bloodwork done Monday and I'm sure my results will be excellent. Its been 2.5 months since the last tests and I feel terrific! So, do I think there is a connection between thyroid and lipid panel values? Absolutely! A good book to check out is "Thyroid Power." It discusses sub-clinical hypothyroidism, which so many of us have, yet so few dr.s treat. I refer back to this book, often. You can also read about this connection at Mary Shomon's thyroid site at about.com.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  8. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

What a terrific bunch of folks you are!
    You've enlightened me so much, I'm not sure where to start.
    I will certainly check out all of the info you have given me. Guess my docs not too concerned???? He did say my Triglyceride level was 500, but was normal last year. My next lab test is not scheduled until January (maybe I should request one sooner?)
    In the meantime I'll get busy and work on my diet...cutting out sugar and pasta is going to be rough...but whatever it takes...
    Can I ask a couple more questions?
    I have always used canola margarine because I thought it was lower in cholesterol than butter...am I totally out to lunch on this?
    Anyone know which sugar substitutes are safest? I here so many conflicting stuff about them all that I don't know what to use.
    Nan
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]
  9. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I use only butter and olive oil. I don't even use them in moderation and as you can see they aren't negatively affecting my lipid levels. If it says margarine, I don't touch it, however I have heard of a soy margarine that contains no trans-fats/hydrogenated oils. As far as sweeteners go, Stevia is a nice choice. It tends to have an aftertaste, but if you can find Stevia Plus, it has the least aftertaste. Stevia contains chromium which helps with cravings.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I agree....don't TOUCH trans-fats/hydrogenated oils!! Use butter - it's all natural and breaks down easily in your system. Using margarine is about the same thing as mainlining wax! The cholesterol in butter is healthy cholesterol, not artificial. I trust cows more than I trust scientists!

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]
  11. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

and my total cholesterol was 176 LDL was 107.Then I lost 20 pounds and lost my appetite and ate very healthy because food did not taste good.NOW my total cholesterol is 263 and LDL is 181.9.I am 34 so doctors just said it was a liitle high.We are truley medical mysterys no wonder they want to study us.So I guess I have to go back to eating junk again!Ha!Ha!Tracey