Trivia Question Guess Where Photo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jul 11, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,check out my profile for a pic of a quaint Scottish hotel.Can any of you guess where this is & why this hotel is world famous.Have fun.
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good to see you in on this game,hope its not too difficult.
    Hows the temps in Arizona,is it still melting hot.We've had a very wet spell over the past 4 weeks with temps barely into the 60's,which actually suits me as when it's too warm my Fibro gets worse.
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Found it!,,,,Moffats Narrow Landmark,,,,,The Narrowest Hotel in the world ,,,165ft long and 20 ft wide,,,,,kool lookin' little place!,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2007]
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hey, Paul. Looks like Moffat, Scotland is a bit south of you, down toward the border with England. Have you ever stayed there?

Hey, I'll be watching some of the Scottish Open from Loch Lomond on the Golf Channel tomorrow through Sunday. Then, next week, there's the British Open from Carnoustie!

5. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Well done Sydney,that's it,the Star Hotel in Moffat,the narrowest detached hotel in the world.It's really very quaint & an unusual building to look at.I believe there is a narrower hotel but it's not a detached building:Hotel Molinos in Granada.
    Linda,it's very cool here at the moment which really suits me,although others complain it's too cold.
    Hi Ken,yeh Moffat is about an hour's drive south from Glasgow.Haven't actually stayed there but have visited on many day trips.It's a very small spa & market town which revolves around it's main street which has many hotels & pubs offering nice lunches & meals.Also has a very nice park which has many amenities for kids & also has a caravan park nearby.
    Would really only be okay to stay here for a few days or longer if you want to use it as a base to explore the southern areas of Scotland.There are many beautiful walks around these parts.
    Check the link below for further pics of Moffat.
    Hope you enjoy the golf Ken,I'll certainly be watching some of it,although I'm also watching some of the Tour de France at the moment as the scenery is amazing along the routes these guys take,especially in the mountain areas.

Also check the link below for a stunning pic of the nearby Talla Reservoir:

Congratulations Sis,you have won a weekend stay in The famous Star Hotel,howabout that,lol.

6. sisland

sisland New Member

That sounds like a great vacation! i'm up late airing the house out from high Temps! 90's to 105 degrees!

We have a guy in the Tour d france from Butte Montana who is supposedly a top mountian bike rider ! He is 34th right now in the race but hopefully tommorow he'll move up in the next few days!,,,,,,Sis
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Don't know how you're coping in those melting temps,lol.That would wipe me out.You certainly have very extreme weather in Montana.
    Have always loved watching the Tour de France for years,think I love looking at the different scenic areas of the world.Did you know that the Tour commenced in London this year.I've noticed that in recent years the Tour has taken in many countries around France which I really think broadens it's appeal.And it always makes it more pertinent to us if a local guy is in the running.Hope the guy from Montana does well.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

didnt recognise the hotel at all, wee quaint streets beside it.

Only been in the borders once myself, Dumfriess, very nice.

What about that carry on at Glasgow Airport, scary stuff, I knew they'd target us eventually, we always had history in common with IRA so they were never going to touch us, but not with the the mad mullahs.

Do you think we're going to get a summer at all? Even though weather has improved its not very dependable.

Hope you're well and getting out in the sun when it's here.

9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I'm doin not bad at the moment.For some strange reason my Fibro seems to flare up the warmer the weather we get so this cool weather at the moment is fine for me,although it could be doing with less rain,lol.Don't think there'll be any droughts in the UK this year.
    Yep,that terror carry-on at Glasgow Airport was a little scary,I always thought maybe Scotland would maybe be immune from such attempts.I think though,that the only way we were targeted was because their attempts failed in London they knew their days were numbered & then hastily attempted to bomb Glasgow Airport.Thankfully there were no casualties.
    Well,enough of this depressing talk,hope you're not too bad at the moment yourself Rosie,take care.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

The only way i get to watch the TDF is on the local News Highlights! Darn! Glad your enjoying it! Do you watch Wimbledon,(SP),,,Tennis Matches? Fortunatley we Get to watch them due to Venus Williams and Rodger Federer,,,,,
    Did you say there is a Scott in the Race?

We,ve had Record High temps! Yaay!
    The dog and i go to the lakes and creeks alot! The only way to Beat this heat! I've Been Teaching Lucky How to swim! He's
    doin Good! I have the Bruises to prove it,,,,Lolol!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2007]
  11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,watched the Wimbledon finals last week.The match between Federer & Nadal was excellent,& very close.I'm glad that Federer managed to equal 5 Wimbledon's in a row like Bjorn Borg.
    And more great news,a Scot became the first Brit in 20 years to win a major Wimbledon title.Jamie Murray(brother of Andy Murray) managed to win the Mixed Doubles.Yay for Scotland,lol.
    Any yes there's a Scottish guy doing quite well in the Tour De France at the moment,our guy David Millar is currently lying 5th.

Glad to hear you & Lucky are making the most of the hot temps.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm actually watching the Tour, too, every day, in fact. Too much time in front of the TV? Ah well. I used to be an avid mountain biker, and my wife used to ride in road bike races here in New Mexico. Each summer, I upgrade my cable TV just to catch the Tour, and then I downgrade it for the rest of the year.

I don't think that many Americans are watching the Tour, since Lance is no longer riding in it. But even in the post-Lance era, and after years of doping scandals, I still think the Tour is the greatest race in the world. The site of the peloton spinning through the French countryside has to be the most glorious in all of sports. The prologue in London and ride to Canterbury were awesome, and the stages through Belgium and France, especially today's, were beautiful. I can't wait until they get in the Alps on Saturday.

I also get a kick out of the announcing by Phil Ligett and Paul Sherwen, and the Yanks, Bob Roll and Al Trautwig on the Versus channel. Do you get Ligett and Sherwen in Scotland? Bob Roll lives not too far from here, in Durango, Colorado.

Who are your favorite? I'm pulling for George Hincapie for the GC, but I also like David Millar, Alexander Vinakourov, who has some catching up to do after his crash today, and Levi Leipheimer. The breakaways and sprints are great fun to watch, too. It's amazing how Robbie McEwen sneaks out of nowhere at the last minute to win stages, though I've enjoyed watching the other sprinters, i.e. Thor Hushovd win, too.

And who can miss the girls on the podium at the end of each stage?

Vive Le Tour!

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2007]
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,I don't have cable/subscription so have to make do with a 1 hour highlights show which is shown each evening but we do have the inimitable Phil Ligett & Paul Sherwen presenting the show.
    I was really into the tour in the 80's & 90's when one of our terrestial channels hosted daily highlights of the show in early evening but in the past 4/5 years it was taken over by another channel which gave it scant coverage with shows in the early hours so to be honest my interest waned somewhat.However I'm glad to say that they have given it proper coverage this year,probably because it commenced in London.
    I remember a Scot Robert Millar who used to be very prominent in the mountain stages.Also used to love watching Greg Lemond,Miguel Indurain & more recently,Lance Armstrong.
    To be honest I don't really have a favourite at the moment & the sport doesn't seem to have the big name characters since Lance Armstrong retired.
    In my youngers days I used to have visions of getting a campervan & following the Tour for a few stages,now that would have been spectacular,esp if it involved the Alp stages.
    Oh to have better health,maybe one day.
    Glad you're enjoying it Ken,you seem to have kept up with all the latest on the cycling front.
    One of my friends who's a keen tri-athlete & who now lives in Barcelona has his own cycling website which arranges holidays/training in Catalan which revolves around cycling
    Very aptly named for a Scotsman,don't you think,lol.

Good luck to all those that wear the Maillot Jeune,shucks,who needs good luck when they get a kiss from the girls on the podium at the end of each stage,lol,
    Vive Le Tour.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

One hour of coverage without cable TV in Scotland is actually pretty good. If I weren't getting cable, I'd only see about two hours of coverage of the Tour--for the whole race!

Wouldn't that be amazing to follow the tour in a camper van? Especially through the Alps or the Pyrenees?

Have you had a chance to travel in France?
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

The Hills are alive with the sound of Bycicles!,,lol Some Italian guy won today by a wisp of a tire,,,,lolol,,,,They showed the place where they were raceing today,,,,,Very Alps like,,,Beautiful!

I'm sure you know Paul that your scot Millar (SP) is still in 4th place,,,,,,,,Yaay For him! I Know that you guys know alot more about this than i do,,,,but it's fun to keep up with!,,,,,,,The camper van idea sounds like a Great idea! Wonder what kind of temps they are riding in? ,,,,,,S
  16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Ken,unfortunately haven't managed to travel to France yet,maybe one day.
    Sis,the campervan does sound like a lotta fun but unfortunately my sleeping pattern is bad enough in a normal bed,so can't imagine trying to get a sleep in a camper anytime soon,lol.Here's hopin'.