Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Dec 1, 2006.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi everyone,anyone want to guess at this question?There's a wonderful prize up for grabs.
    How many islands are there in Scotland?The only clue i'm giving is that only 10% of this total are inhabited.

Guesses only please!!!!

Person with the nearest guess wins a Packet of Painkillers of your CHOICE,haha,LOL.
    I will post back in 24 hours with the answer if anyone's interested.
    Good Luck,from Scottish Paul
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hmm...I can name a few: Lewis, Mull, Iona, Shetland, and Skye, which I visited twenty years ago. Don't ask me which are the Inner and which are the Outer Hebrides.

Based on your clue and my meager knowledge, I would guess about 150.

Whew! Now I see that Linda didn't guess. I was off by a bit.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My guess is none. Theyre all in the ocean.

I think an appropriate prize would be a CD: The Best of Kenneth McKellar.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Linda,fight4acure,Ken,rockgor!!!

As you all probably know by now,there are 790 Scottish islands.
    (according to the Scottish Executive Resources website

Well done Linda on getting the right answer,but I don't know if I should give you a prize as i think you Google searched it,LOL,but hey,seeing as I also done that(I mean,who else would know that answer from the top of their head),then I think I owe you a pint of Tennent's Special Ale as the winner.

Hi fight4acure,I would love to be able to give us all a cure.The question is,how much is it gonna be worth to the drug company that finally does come up with an effective treatment?I just hope the day they find a cure is not too far off.

Good guess Ken,you definitely know your islands.

rockgor,thanks for the guess.I would send you a CD of Kenneth McKellar if I had one,but i'll give you a piece of trivia instead.On 31stDecember 1973,the first Scottish commercial radio station Radio clyde began broadcasting to Glasgow(and it's still going strong today) & the first record they played was The Song Of The Clyde by Kenneth McKellar.

Thanks again everyone,I enjoyed reading your posts,
    best Wishes,Paul.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I think I told you previously I have ancestors from all over the Isles including Scotland. I have hundreds of celtic records including all of Kenneth McKellars.

And Andy Stewart and lots of others.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I found a video on Youtube of my favorite guitarist from Scotland, Tony McManus. Here's a link.
    (You can copy this in your browser).

That's him on the left.

7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Now that question was too easy!! Do ya know how many

LAKES are in Minnesota ?? (Don't tell him Rock, OK) ?

8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I've no idea how many lakes in Minnesota!

But i'll take a guess at 78!!

Now i'll google search to see if that sheds any light.

Good question,
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Cheers Ken,
    he sounds brilliant on the guitar,honestly that's the first i've heard him,but i'll be checking him out from now on,
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Like Rockgor, I grew up in Minnesota.
    The number of lakes you'll find online is only about a third of the actual number of lakes in Minnesota.

Tony McManus is pretty amazing. I found a few videos of Dick Gaughan's music on YouTube, but none showing him playing.

Ever hear of the group, Silly Wizard?

The other person I wanted to ask you about was the film director, Bill Forsythe. His film, LOCAL HERO, set in Scotland, is one of my favorites. Also saw his COMFORT AND JOY, a comedy set in Glasgow, I think.

11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,I see I was way out with my guess on lakes in Minnesota,seems to be about 12000,is that about right?

Not really heard much about Silly Wizard,i only have a passing interest in Scottish Folk & Celtic music,but i do like most of it,much of the Celtic music is very evocative.I know that Phil Cunningham was a member and he appears on TV every Hogmanay to bring in the new year with his fiddle.
    I quite like Enya,I downloaded some of her stuff recently & find it very relaxing.

Yeh,I do remember seeing the film Local Hero and thoroughly enjoyed it and do recall the film Comfort & Joy but can't remember if i saw it or not(just put that down to the fibro fog,LOL).Bill Forsythe was probably more well known over here for his film Gregory's Girl.I don't think he's had any movies in the past few years but I may be wrong,i'm not a huge movie fan.Piece of trivia for you,did you know that Bill Forsythe shares the same birthdate as Diane Keen & Robert LuPone(29th July 1946).

All the best,Paul