Trivia Tidbit About Chickpeas and ALS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Nov 9, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I took this from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia online
    Interesting. My son (and all of us) eat a lot of chickpeas as my son is Vegan.

Toxicity
    (dubious assertion—see talk page)

Chickpeas are toxic at very high doses, especially when they are the only source of protein. The symptoms caused involve brain and nerve function similar to ALS, but it is poorly reported, possibly because it occurs almost exclusively in subsistence-level societies during times of starvation. It apparently came to the attention of Western science around 1972. [7]

One theory of chickpea toxicity is that the high level of the amino acid glutamate interferes with synaptic activity. If glutamate crosses the brain blood barrier, it allows calcium to enter synaptic spaces causing very dangerous interference with nervous transmission.

Medical science today calls the disease by the generic term "chronic neurolathyrism". The disease is apparently slowly progressive, even after cessation of chickpea ingestion, as shown in a study of former WWII labor camp victims who had been fed almost nothing but 400 grams of chickpea (Lathyrus sativus) for several years. [8]

At normal dietary doses, no problems have been shown to arise from eating chickpeas, and they remain an extremely healthful food, even when eaten in quantity, as long as other proteinous foods (especially grains or animal products) are also eaten.

[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2006]
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I will not drop them my diet.It sounds like a joke.

I was craveing them one day and ate a whole can of them.Didnt bother me any.Seems this would be of public knowledge if they were bad for us.

Do you know what vitamins they have in them?I thought maybe I craved them because I was lacking that vitamin.
  3. cct

cct Member

This article makes me wonder about the relationship of the amino acid glutamate, calcium, and synaptic activity.

I know that I have a vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium problem.

Is the glutamate, calcium synapse relationship that is sited in the article relevant to the calcium and synaptic problems that I am experiencing?

Is the amino acid gluamate involved in this problem?
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Unless this is your only source of protein, it would not be a problem. We eat A LOT more chickpeas than the average family, but I am not at all worried about this becoming a problem, not even for my son. He uses rice protein, tofu, nuts, beans, legumes, seeds for protein. And the rest of us also eat meat, fish and eggs. This was only directed at those who have not other source of protein, usually in impoverished countries.