Trouble breathing because my muscles are so tight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, May 18, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Does anyone else have the sensation of barely being able to get your breath because your neck, mid back and shoulder muscles are so tight? This is really scaring me! The other night, I was trying to clean the kitchen and just collapsed in a chair gasping for air. It really scared my dh. If I sit in a chair or anything where my shoulders are leaning back against it, it makes it a lot worse and I can hardly breathe. I have to sit ramrod straight holding my back in proper alignment just to breathe. This is really getting scary. Muscle relaxers help a little bit, but not for long.
  2. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

This phenomenon is one of the first things I noticed when I developed fibro. I can't take a deep breath because of the tight, constricted chest and related muscles that should be allowing the chest to expand when you take a breath. When I engage in physical activity that relies on good lung capacity, it is really noticable, and because my chest can't expand to accomidate the breathing demands, it feels like my lungs are being stabbed with an ice pick.

One time years ago, it landed me in an ER when I was in a panicky mood which exacerbated it and made me feel very short of breath. I have since learned to remind myself it is just part of this DD and to try and relax when it is getting the best of me.

It makes sense in that all our muscles are tight and stiff, so the ones that surround the chest and are involved in breathing would be affected too.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2006]
  3. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I will never forget the Pulmonary Dr. that I used years ago. I went to him because I couldn't get my asthma under control with the inhalers and steroids. He said to me that I needed to stop being stressed out and relax. My Dad had just died suddendly and my Mother was and is a basket case. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and said "Do you suffer from breathing problems?" His answer was no I don't and I am closing my practice because I am tired of dealing with people. I about died on the spot and glad he has packed up his Dr.'s kit and gone. My Primary Dr. treats me for my Fibro and Asthma and is very understanding so I have no bones to pick with him. My chest muscles are tight and constricting and I do think it is somewhat caused by the Fibro and of course my Asthma.

TxSongBird
  4. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I have been having this breathing problem for a while now and ANY type of movement can make me so out of breath I feel as though I am going to collapse!

If I try to walk anywhere I am wet through and feel as though I wont make it because I cant breathe.

My doc gave me an inhaler a awhile ago and I have just got it out again but dont really feel any better with it.

I am going to go back to see him and see if he can do anything else as I find it quite scary esp. since my Dad has empesyma!!

Lets hope someone on here has something to suggest.

Rena
  5. momof471

momof471 New Member

I had the hardest time with breathing, because I have a lot of chest pain, but I have learned that I was breathing wrong. It is more natural and easier on your chest and back to breathe with your abdomen and not with your chest. It takes practice, but when you breathe in through your nose concentrate on your belly expanding, not your chest, thisfully allows your lungs to inflate. This increases blood to your body and promotes relaxation and healing to the muscles. However it does take practice and alot of thinking about to get it done, but it does help!
  6. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I used to have a lot of difficulty and trouble breathing but since I started 2,000 IU of Vitamin D daily, my breathing is improved, my fatigue is gone, and my shoulder spasms are significantly decreased.

Love, Jasmine
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have this problem along with a lot of pain around my rib cage (mostly in the back). I was told it might be costochondritis.

Sofia
  8. anarose

anarose Member

I don't know if this is too late, but I had the exact same issue. So much constriction around the neck that I was only breathing about 40% capacity, with the very rare deeper breath to bring relief. Basic movements like walking and doing dishes made it worse. It was devastating--my health and wellbeing suffered so much because of this.

However, for me, it turned out to be a problem with mold. I discovered this because I stayed at my parents' house for several weeks and, much to my amazement, this problem started to subside. After that I focused on detoxing with a portable infrared sauna, Mimi's miracle minerals, an ancestral diet (most importantly--no sugar or grains), and toooooons of fluids! I also used a back foam roller to strengthen, align, and stretch out my back muscles. That problem, I am happy to say, is totally resolved!