Trouble gagging all the time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wreckless, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been a member here for a long time and have been diagnosed, disabled, and on Social Security for eight years now. However, over the last six months to a year my gag reflex is continually triggered. Not really a feeling of nausea, but the actual spasms of vomiting, without actually vomiting.

This has been happening to me when overheated for a while, but it has gotten progressively worse. Now I can start gagging any time I have a hot flash or even have an asthma attack.

So what I am asking is, is this related to fibro, or is this something else, maybe even something in my head? Thanks in advance.

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Yes I have the gag reflex. I think its related to muscle spasm.

Sometimes I will be drinking water and have to spit it out because I will feel like my throat closed or gag. I have had the vomit-not vomit response but not alot.

do you have a build up of mucus? have you tried muncinex?
  3. kerrilyn

kerrilyn Member

hi Elizabeth,
    I gag when I'm exposed to certain chemicals. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and the way I react is to gag uncontrollably. I usually don't actually vomit but I gag and have to get into fresh air. There is a long list of chemicals that I react to.

I don't notice that I have a hot flash or anything like that, and we may not experiencing the same thing, but I would try to write down what you are doing or are exposed to prior to have this reaction. Maybe you will see a pattern. If it happens along with an asthma attack, it could be some kind of histamine reaction perhaps?
  4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have vomited a few times form it too, not a lot, but it is vomit. I recently started having difficulty breathing too. My throat just seems to close up and I can't get any air in or I sound like I am choking or something. I think muscle spasms are causing both.

It's not in your head, just your neck. ;)
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've been having this gagging/retching problem for no reason for years now, mostly with no vomit, sometimes with a little. I believe it's spasms of the esophagus, and no, it isn't GERD although that has been a problem at time for me now too. I also have the throat muscles suddenly closing and that happens randomly as well causing difficulty in swallowing and also what feels like my trachea closing making breathing difficult. All of the systems and muscles in our bodies can be adversely affected by ME and also fibro.

I do think hormones have something to do with this gagging, and in my case it's also loud retching. I've noticed that it's worse when I'm in the luteal phase which is after ovulation and gets worse as my period approaches and it seems to go away during my period only to return during the next ovulation.

I don't know if this is connected to the fact that hormonal fluctuations can play a role in retroviral replication or not, but that certainly seems possible. I never had this symptom until I was a few years into perimenopause which is a time period of about 10 years before actual menopause and cannot usually be measured by conventional hormonal panel testing. It's common for perimenopause to start around age 35.

I haven't found anything that can counteract this gagging/retching other than laying down which seems to calm it as well as many of my other symptoms like screaming body pain.

This gagging/retching symptom is very annoying and embarrassing. People around me often think I'm pregnant which is interesting too, given that hormones may play a role in this symptom.

Some research I've done on this symptom shows that gagging/retching can happen with mitochondrial diseases. ME causes mitochondrial dysfunction and hormones can be exacerbating ME. Round and round we go.

Further research indicates that this could be spasms of the diaphragm but it sure feels like my esophagus.

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2010]
  6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I believe this is a neurological problem: our brains do not operate our
    bodies properly.

Esophageal spasms, IBS spasms: they are the same problem, IMHO.

Relaxation when it occurs helps me; if I am eating, I just stop and
    breath gently but deeply a few times, and it helps.