Trouble learning to sing a new song,Basal Ganglia malfunction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by slowdreamer, Jun 3, 2008.

1. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I am interested if others have found this..I was in a singing group when I first became ill and could not get the sounds out of the new song we were learning.
    I assumed for years that singing was just another skill that had gone down the gurgler but one day i started singing along with a song on the radio..I had learned the song in pre illness days and was surprised to find my vocal chords, although a little rusty, were fine...

I started thinking about this as I was reading Cort Johnsons
    Newsletter in which he describes a theory where the researchers suggested that damage to the basal ganglia deep in the brain affects the integration of emotive, motor and sensory cues..This is perhaps why I can't learn new songs..The larynx is okay but the brain planning and integration necessary for the task are malfunctioning.
    The Article was from a report written by Cort in 2005 and is in the Reasearch Section of the Phoenix Rising web site.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It's not brain damage. Your neurotransmitters aren't getting the mineral(s) they need so that they can send the right signals to each other and the rest of your body.
  3. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The great Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling stated: "Every disease, every sickness, and every ailment can be traced to a mineral deficiency".
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

In 1954, Pauling was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on molecular structure, especially proteins. His work is what opened the door for others to study and learn that disease is a result of nutritional deficiencies. He coined the term orthomolecular medicine. Thanks to him others are now studying and applying nutrition as a way to overcome many diseases. As for Vitamin C, several universities are studying the effects of IV vitamin C as a way to combat illness. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1962 for his efforts on behalf of a nuclear test ban treaty.
  6. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your post confirming what I have found...Could be a good research project for someone?????

I hope you have a go at your singing if they let you sing songs you already know.
    I think the period of withdrawal shatters our confidence but I am quite sure that if the muscle memory was laid down before the illness the ability to sing is undiminished..
    In my next life I would like to come back as a singer..perhaps someone like Eva Cassidy.Do you know of her singing.
    What songs did you like to sing.?
  7. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Good to hear you are still giving it a go..Thanks for your input.