Trouble Sleeping...Lunesta??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tiredohsotired, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tiredohsotired

tiredohsotired New Member

Hello again,
    I have been having trouble sleeping. I was given a sleep test and I don't have sleep apnea. I do have Fibro and Cfids. My problem is that it takes me forever to fall asleep even though I am so exhausted. My mind just won't shut off. It keeps jumping around in my head thinking of things I can't control, worries etc. Some nights I lay there for two hours. When I do finally fall asleep I wake up easily and again I struggle with falling back asleep. This is in addition to my arms, hips and legs going numb making me toss and turn all night. My doctor has given my Elavil 25mg to take at bed time but, it doesn't seem to be helping. She is now suggesting Lunesta? Has anyone tried Lunesta? I am not sure of the price either. I may not be able to afford it. Has anyone taken Elavil on a higher dose? I would prefer not to take anything but, I will never get my energy back if I can't get to sleep. Thanks so much for your help. Take care ;-)
  2. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I can totally relate to your sleep difficulties. I used to take trazadone, which is similar to Elavil, but it started giving me heart palpitations. My doctor then prescribed Lunesta, and it has helped. It comes in 2 or 3 mg. I have found that the 3 mg works much better for me. I fall asleep fairly quickly and stay asleep for about 7 hours. A couple of side effects for me have been daytime drowsinesss and mild memory problems, but I had the same thing with the trazadone.

My only concern is long-term use. I really hate to have to take a sedative on a regular basis, but for now, that seems to be my only choice outside of insomnia. As far as the price, it is expensive. Without insurance, I believe a 30 day supply is around $130.

I hope that you find some answers for your insomnia. Going without sleep really does add to our fibro problems. If you can't afford the Lunesta, you might consider trazadone. I believe it is similar to Elavil, so it may or may not help. I wish I could still take it. It's very inexpensive, is non-addicitive, and deepens your sleep level.

Take care.

Heirloom

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have Lunesta but did not take it because they said it left a bad taste in your mouth the next day. I was using Ambien 10 mg which is good, but it does not last a full 8 hours so Ambien now has Ambien CR (controlled release).

I am currently taking Restoril 15 mg for sleep because it also helps with anxiety and according to the drug info, has less incidence of tolerance. If you ask for the generic of Restoril is is not too bad. I think generics in many drugs are coming soon which will really help.

I heard on the radio last week that several "patents" are expiring on many drugs so the prices are going to drop drastically on the generics.
  4. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I've taken Lunesta. It worked very well (I have CFS and FM) without a next-morning hangover, but I did have the side effect of a bad taste in my mouth. That was tolerable but I haven't been able to afford to take Lunesta regularly because it's expensive (about $100 for a 30-day supply). No health insurance & we don't qualify for prescription assistance. So, I take it about once every 2 weeks, when I'm so sleep-deprived that I must have 7-8 hours of sleep in one stretch.

Instead, I take Benadryl to help with sleep, which works fairly okay. Some nights I sleep about 4-5 hours at a stretch, which is a luxury. Usually, though, I sleep much less and am up for long stretches in the middle of the night.

I can't take Trazodone because even half a pill (25 mg) leaves me totally hungover the next day.

Wish there was something reasonably priced that would work. I'm really sensitive to medications and am a Type 2 diabetic, so that makes it tricky.

Suggestions, anyone?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  5. tiredohsotired

tiredohsotired New Member

Thank you all so much for the sleeping aid advice. I will see what happens and let you know. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.