Trouble Sleeping?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petemora, Dec 16, 2011.

1. petemora

petemora Member

I have had unrefreshing sleep for years, even though I've used Elavil, Ambien, and Melatonin.

Recently switched to Alteril (instead of the Melatonin supplement I was taking). Well, let me tell you, I have been sleeping so well. I have vivid dreams and even though I wake up in the middle of the night, I can get back to sleep right away. Best sleep I've had in years!

My husband is using it now too, and he's able to sleep away most of the night...
  2. petemora

petemora Member

It basically contains: L-tryptophan, melatonin and valerian root. L-tryptophan is the stuff found in turkey that makes you sleepy. Melatonin is a hormone and valerian root is an herb. Both are also known to promote sleep.

Until I took Alteril, I slept but it was an "empty" sleep. Now, I have many, many vivid dreams throughout the night. When I wake up around midnight (I take my sleep meds at around 4 p.m. and get to sleep by 5 p.m.), I can usually get back to sleep fairly easily until 5 or 6 a.m. Then I can get back to sleep until 7 a.m. or so.

I still take Ambien.
  3. petemora

petemora Member

The first sign of my illness was in 1995 when I had surgery and was never able to sleep good again. That was in February. I suffered for many months (I tend to minimize pain, etc.) and finally in December I went to my family doctor and he put me on sleeping pills, for a temporary fix. Then he put me on Elavil. Elavil worked for me for many years, then I had a bad response and had to quit taking it.

My doctor then put me on Zoloft, which I did not like. For a couple of months, I was totally off meds. That was not good either. My new (wonderful) doctor put me on Lexapro and Ambien (2005). I slept pretty good for a couple of years. Then, on my doctor's advice, I started taking a low (1 1/2 mg) of Melatonin. That, too, worked for a while.

I switched to Alteril a few months ago, and I LOVE IT! I can get to sleep, I stay asleep, I have vivid, restful dreams. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can get back to sleep easily. I only take 1 pill, instead of the recommended 2.

My husband, who is retired, has been a poor sleeper for years. He now takes Alteril too and sleeps the best he ever has!

I tell everybody I know about it because I'm so happy to have finally found something for good quality sleep.

Good luck to you!
  4. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

for the longest time--if i woke up at night--i would take homeopathic Moon Drops--and like many would fall right back to sleep without realizing it....