trouble slepping?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joanna, Aug 29, 2002.

1. joanna

joanna New Member

Doc whants me to go till I drop. He fells then I will go into a deep sleep and rest my body. Doc doe's not whant me to take sleep meds. Has anybody herd of this treatment for lack of sleep. unrested Joanna.
  2. joanna

joanna New Member

Doc whants me to go till I drop. He fells then I will go into a deep sleep and rest my body. Doc doe's not whant me to take sleep meds. Has anybody herd of this treatment for lack of sleep. unrested Joanna.
  3. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

What kind of doctor is this? I personally would RUN for a different doctor. How long have you been without sleep? This is dangerous for our body's. We need to have the proper rest to give us time to heal. Please let me know what happenes. I'm sure that other's will be along shortly. I know they can offer more input, as I have only been a member for a short while. I still think I'd find a different doc tho'. Have a gentle day.

Regards,

Ellen
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

You can go (& I heartily recommend you do!) to the home page, check out the info about finding a doctor under the doctor referral section, then go to the co-cure.org link. If no doctors listed in your area, come back here and post a message naming your state and ask for members to recommend a dr who live near you.

Best wishes, keep us posted, I feel like I'm in a time machine today...keep hearing about this dr's that sound like they're from the 17th & 18th centuries!! But there are good doctors out there, it just takes some of us a little longer to find one.

Melatonin is a natural supp. to help w/ sleep. You can order it from here, but you may want to get a small bottle of whatever your local stores sell to get you thru till the good stuff (the supp. from here are highly thought of by members) from here.

Take care, hoping for a good night's sleep for you soon. Michele

P.S. Have you got a dx of fms and/or cfids or suspect you may have them?[This Message was Edited on 08/29/2002]
  5. knackered

knackered New Member

This is bad advice, I have tried to do this and it made not a blind bit of difference to my sleep.

All it did was make me more ill and exhausted, you are losing sleep because of a neurochemical imbalance in your brain. This will not be altered by forcing yourself through 'the pain barrier'

If you click onto my profile, it will tell you what i am taking and may be fo some use. You do not say what other methods you have tried, perhaps if you told us that, we may be able to help.

Please do not let yourself be bullied by someone who is clearly incompetent, MD can mean a lot of things not all of them good! This is not a treatment but a punishment and if you try to do this, your body will suffer.

If you are able to, I would agree with the others about finding another doctor, good luck, love Andrea xxx

6. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

That is me TIRED BUT WIRED I got that from my doctor discussing the stages of sleep.He said it is essential that we get extra sleep then before because our sleep is not efficient like before.Besides that we are already sick we need to protect ourselves from further damage.I went months and months thinking that I would eventually crash.Well I crashed all right bedridden but guess what still can not sleep without meds and do not sleep the 9 to 10 hours like he wants more like 4 hour with an occasional 8 hours.There are so many articles on how essential sleep is for our treatment.I tryed everything natural and when it did not work I finally gave in to meds.There is also that alpha delta thing that effects are sleep someone more knowledgeable will know what I mean.If you can not sleep I will see you here later,thank goodness 24 hours OPEN Tracey
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2002]
  7. jeanann

jeanann New Member

There are plenty of sleep aides that are not addictive and they can help not only with sleep but with pain. You guys need your sleep.. Where do these docs get off any way!!!! Its very scary. ((HUGS)) jeanann
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Everyone is right! We have to sleep to heal! I have alot of trouble sleeping because of pain and spasms and restless legs. I feel just awful if I don't have my rest. You need to find someone that will help you find a med that will help. It doesn't really have to be a sleeping pill. I don't take sleeping pills, sleeping pills don't help me. I take things to help me with the underlying problems like muscle relaxers, sinemet (for restless leg), klonopin for anxiety. Hydrocodone for pain.
    Get yourself another doctor!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Joanna, welcome to our world. That doctor should be 'shot at sunrise'! That is about the worst thing I have heard about a doctor in a longtime.

If we don't sleep, our muscles don't heal, so how could you get any relief if you are not healing? Everyone needs sleep even healthy people.

You need to find a new doctor, hopefully one that is familiar with these illnesses. Try this site for good doctors; http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

If there is not one in your area, do like one of the others told you, list the state you are in on the board, I am sure someone here will be able to help you find one.

In the mean time, you can try the Melatonin, it works well, so does ZMA which is;'Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B-6. Its a combination supplement, but it will help with deep sleep.

Both can be bought here at Pro Health. Just go to the store link at the top right of this page and click, then type in 'ZMA' and read about it, then type in 'Melatonin', and see what you think.

I sure hope you get some help soon and fine a good doctor.

Let us know how you are doing, and just what illness you have.

Shalom, Shirl