Trouble swallowing and MRI ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katco, Oct 8, 2008.

1. katco

katco New Member

Does anyone have trouble swallowing? I have been having trouble, but it seems to change.

First it felt like a hand was around my throat, hard to breathe. But never a sore throat. Constantly having to clear my throat. Now the sensation has changed somewhat. I don't feel the hand around my throat as much, but I have an even harder time with clearing my throat.

I can be fine, drink some water, and the throat clearing immediatley starts....And it takes a long time for me to be able to clear it. It sort feels like, um, you know when you drink and the liquid goes down the wrong way, it chokes you, and you can feel that the drink went down the wrong place? That's what it feels like. I don't know how else to desribe it.

So does anyone out there have this?

By the way, ENT said everything looked fine, and I did a barium swallow that was fine. Go figure!

Almost forgot, I had an MRi done that showed hyperintensities in the frontal, posterior and subcortical . Anyone else?

2. findmind

findmind New Member

Do you have any problem with your eyes?

I have been to the ER this week because I developed myasthenia gravis in the eyes 3 months ago, and this past week I could not even swallow to save my life!

I have meds for it, dr. told me to increase the dosage.

I did: three days later, I was out to dinner with friends, had just sat down, and my throat froze up, could not swallow or talk, my cheeks muscles, chin and mouth were visibly trembling to beat the band, and I could not even eat. It was the first my friends had seen how MG affects me.

I'm not at all saying that's your problem, and before I was diagnosed with MG, I did have periods over the 20 years of my FM and ME/CFS of not being able to swallow, and the episodes passed. Just one more kink in the fabric of our illnesses, I guess.

I have no idea what your MRI means; have you asked what areas of your functioning the lesions would affect? Did a neurologist take a look at them?
    I would suggest that you ask them to tell you the areas affected and their meaning, or go online and try to look them up.

Wishing you gulps of swallows!
  3. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I also have been to the ER for trouble swallowing. Mine was caused by acid reflux. The reflux causes small tonsil like glands at the base of the toungue to swell making it hard to swallow. My mom-in-law has the same prob. but if we take reflux meds on a regular basis it stays under control. Hope you find some relif, some of my worst nights were caused by these same problems.
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I also had a whiplash injury prior to CFS. It affected all the neck muscles.

I also was too tired to speak and chew. This all takes muscles.

I had mono as the original symptom of CFS with the whiplash injury. All my muscles were tired, no muscle tone.

Anyway, it is much better today. I did have a muscle therapist actually go into the mouth and do muscle release. They told me they had a child that was "tongue-tied" and could not speak and when they released the muscles, he could talk.

Today, I do not attempt to eat large chunks of food, such as meat and I have a phobia about trying to swallow large pills. It amazes me when I see my home-health clients pop a lot of pills in their mouth and be able to swallow them!

I use to wonder if I, too, was alone with this symptom. You are not alone.
  5. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I have had to have several procedures to stretch my esophagus. It seems to be better now, though and I haven't undergone the procedure for some years.

I must say, I am absolutely phobic about choking and feel like even the smallest of food bites may sometimes be too much unless chewed thoroughly. I also can't take large pills.

My barium swallow never showed anything, but the GI doc said that many people need esophagus stretching.
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have a spot that sometimes particles get trapped in. It happens sometimes.

Just thought I would mention that. The doctor said yes, there is an "irregularity" there in my esophagus. Maybe like a small pocket.

I also have a damaged eustachian tube, which is the neck area. It has not acted up much lately.

Once when I was in a smoke-filled room, I didn't realize it and I felt the eustachian tube drain. The smoke must have caused it to block up.

It's hard to explain all this weirdness with FMS.

Like I said, all the muscles in my neck, front and back have been injured.