Trouble Swallowing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swimmer71, Mar 15, 2006.

1. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Hi,

Starting yesterday, it is becoming harder for me to swallow.

Any advice?

I presently take Lyrica and Klonopin. Supplements are: B5, B complex, magnesium, and Omega 3.

2. pamsue

pamsue New Member

swimmer have you had trouble with any of your meds before? If not, I would call the doctor to see what is wrong.

Take care, feel better soon

pamsue
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Do you have acid reflux? I have heard that it causes trouble swallowing.
  4. don1963

don1963 New Member

Swimmer, Be carefull. I had 911 over a few weekends ago because I got into a bad situation with food stuck up to my airway and to make matters worse, stomach acid going bezerk pushing back up steak. Been having trouble swallowing for a few years. I think it is from poor esophagus(sp)motility, Gastrointestinal(sp) doc informed me after I had the stomach inspection. Found many little ulcers (from to many meds) GERD and a Hiatial hernia ( not bad enough for a expander). All he saw did not explain the reason I could not swallow. The ole pipe feels like it is stiff just like all my other muscles and it takes a few bites to loosen it up. The danger is if you put to much in before you notice it is not going down, you could be in trouble. So, eat slowly-no matter how good that steak tastes, chew well and see a Gastroin.....Doc!
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

You might need to see a gastroenterologist and maybe a script for Nexium. Maybe not. If you are taking huge bites and then choking, well, take smaller bites.
    Drink plenty of water with your meal. Don't eat after 7:00. Don't lay down after you eat. Don't eat hot peppers, salsa or anything too spicy that would irritate your esophagus. Don't drink coffee or tea. Actually, I drink cold tea because I'm from Texas. My doctor understands. :)
    It's not something you can ignore. You need to follow up on it. But if they want you to take the test where you have to swallow a bunch of wires, just say no! that will freak me out!!!!

6. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Thank you for everyone's advice. I really appreciate it.

Still tough to swallow. Taking small bites. Made an apptmt with doctor for next Thurs.

7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Swimmer, I have had the same problem. I have had the scope down my throat and into my stomach. I already take nexium for reflux. I had a barium swallow test that showed I was having esophogeal spasms.

My doctor said some people take Reglan for that, but its not an option for me. He prescribed an anti-biotic that relaxes that area. That didn't really help me.

He prescribed valium to use twice a day. That did help tremendously but I discontinued it because it made me more tired. Like most of us, I need more energy--not less.

I'm glad you made an appointment and hope you feel better soon.
  8. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

Well, my problem is swallowing foods, not liquids or saliva. I am finding that swallowing gets easier as the muscle relaxes. The first bites have to be tiny, and I need to take my time when eating to make sure everything gets down before I add anything new to my food. This is hard because sometimes I need to rush when eating, especially at work.

I am already taking Klonopin, but valium could help. You are right, it will add to fatigue.

There are so many little things to know when managing this DD that it is tough to hit every piece.

Thanks for everyone's advice. More feedback is appreciated.

9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

My husband has had swallowing problems, despite being the slowest eater in America, and he always chews and chews and chews his food.

He also had episodes of snoozing off and regurgitating his food and liquid where I could hear it gurgle and he would awaken suddenly and cough and cough and cough and almost have a laryngospasm. I know what I am talking about because I was a Nurse Anesthetist.

After me begging him for years, he had a colonoscopy, his first ever, and a gastroscopy. They found a narrowing of the esophagus, a small hiatal hernia, and esophagitis and it extended all the way up to the vocal cords. HE IS ON MEDICATION NOW AND THEY DILATED HIS ESOPHAGUS.

This type of thing can cause serious complications with the esophagus and you need a gastroscopy and medication.
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

Sometimes I drink Boost (chocolate) for lunch at work. It is lactose free and I get the high protein one. It is really satisfying. A coach got me to drinking it. It has vitamins. When I drink it I don't have swallowing probles.
    Some foods are really off limits and when you have had a coughing spell or nearly thrown up in the night while you were sleeping, it makes a believer out of you. No coffee for me anymore - it will eat my stomach up. That's from a girl raised on cafe au lait in the bayou country. So sad!
    The saddest thing is no booze no wine. I believe it would kill me so ixnay on ine-way.
  11. Ladyfingers

Ladyfingers New Member

Especially in the mornings when most of my muscles are more spastic... this includes the muscles used for swallowing, and I have to make a conscious effort to relax my throat.