Trouble understanding scripture? Me Too

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by maggiemae55, Jan 25, 2007.

1. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I have trouble understanding parables and scripture in the Bible. I use NIV or NAS, but just can't quite understand what I'm reading.

I got "The Bible Experience" cd set for Christmas, LOVE it but even listening to the Word, I guess fibro fog gets me, because I'm still thinking "now what is that supposed to mean?"

Also, I would ask for prayer, I went to bankruptcy court Mon, and have been bummed since. Single mom, 3 kids, 2 out of college, 1 sophmore. Judge asked me how I got into the situation, I told him their dad didn't pay for things he said he would, and I just ran out of money. Judge said to the audience "well imagine that" Nothing new to him!

Anyway, would love to hear any insights on understnading...I do use a commentary too. I was going to go to a Bible study, but worried I wouldn't "get it".

Warmly,
    maggie
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

I like the Message Translation. It is not a good study Bible but it is written in todays language. It is really good especially the Psalms. Or how about the Living Translation. Go to Bible Gateway.com and check out the different translations. Just read a couple of verses at a time and if you are foggy still to easier passages like Psalms, Romans and the rest of the New Testament except Revelation. Now is not the time to get into heavy stuff and definetely don't beat yourself up over this ok? God knows your heart. Father please help Maggie at this time with her finances. Please make a way where there is no way and please intervene in her situation and give her favor where it is needed and give her what she needs. Thank you in Jesus Name. Amen.
    Cath
  3. Grace4today

Grace4today New Member

I have gone through long periods of time when the fog was so bad that I could not even read let alone comprehend anything. God knows what you are going through. If you are having trouble, watch teachings on t.v., have a friend study with you etc. Don't worry about how much you read. Take a little portion - even if it is only one verse- and pray about it, meditate on it and just "chew" on it and get whatever you can out of it. Better to be fed on, and absorb, a little than be frustrated not being able to digest a feast. Remember, the Bible says that God's Word will not return void. Anything you take in, if it is your desire to understand and glean truth from it, God will honour that. I think we beat ourselves up in our struggles a lot more than He does...He knows and understands our limitations and will work with us in it.

Will pray for your financial situation. I have been there. When I became ill, 15 years ago, and was no longer able to work, my husband and I dug ourselves into a huge hole we could not climb out of - trying to maintain a two income financial load on one income. We finally had to file bankruptcy. I cried for days, but then realized that it was not something we wanted to have happen to us. Keep in mind, God provided the Year of Jubilee for the Isrealites - a time to start fresh financially, free of debt, once every 50 years. Essentially once in a person's lifetime.

Blessings,
    Lori
  4. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

My husband has a bible with four translations it it. Every page has a column with each translation there to compare.

I agree that if you go to the bible study with fellow Christians each person will talk about how they understand it.

Don't take a verse out of context though. Each verse near it is important too.

Ask the Lord Jesus to open your eyes and help you to understand what he is telling you.
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I think I sometimes forget that God does know all I am going thru and he understands too. I will take y'all's advice and remember to go slowly.

I used to take Kay Arthur's Precept Bible studies with my friends, and loved how deep they were.

One day at a time now :)

Thanks for your prayers also...Lord, I thank you for the wisdom these friends have provided, along with their prayers for my financial needs. I pray you keep them in your warm fold as well and meet all their needs..spoken and unspoken...

warmly,
    maggie
  6. greatbarrier

greatbarrier New Member

Hi Maggie, not to late to answer I hope I am new to this sight and Fibro Fog can be a big pain for reading and understanding the Bible I hope this may help as I to have the Fibro fog and YEA***** I have a lovely devotional book of Joyce Meyer and this is a setting for me to follow the word through that ...asking the Lord to show me what is relavent to me - what it is he wants me to lern new or afreash to work closer to Him.
    We to hav egone done the track of being bankrupt it hurts but it also sets you free and to learn how to manage money like never before we are both on disiblity benifits and its hard but praise the Lord we are happy and safe.
    be strong trust the Lord ** and yea I know but it is a good one * Father can I ask you to please Maggie in ways she never dreamed of as her Lord to focus on you at all times be her Father and Husband and keep her safe, put a song in her heart Father one she can call apon in a time of need. Blessing Maggie and your Family Lynne
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2007]
  7. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

I can relate to what you are talking about. I would also recommend using the New Living Translation. If I had to name my 3 favorite translations I would say The Revised New American Standard, the NIV and the New Living Translation. I can't remember what its called, but I know there is a Bible out there that has like 6 translations in one volume. Maybe you could try to track that down. Sorry I can't give your more information than that.

Anyway, good luck and don't give up.

God Bless,
    Lms526
  8. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Thank you for sharing this maggie, I will have to try The Bible Experience too. I have always had a hard time understanding what I read. Even after Sunday School and now Bible Study I still struggle, you are not alone

Hugs
    kgangel
  9. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I really do appreciate your ideas and prayers. I haven't decided if I will go tonight mainly because I work 3 part time jobs and am exhausted. Not a great excuse I know.

Do you all feel guilty if you don't make it to church/study because of fms/cfc? I know God is all understanding, and I sometimes wonder if Satan likes to take advantage of our illness to sneak in the guilt?

What do y'all think?

warmly,
    maggie
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think that Satan likes to take advantage of our illness to sneak in the guilt. I hope you feel well enough to make the Bible study. If you are exhausted, I don’t think you would get much out of it anyway. God know our physical condition and I don’t think he expects more out of us than what we are capable.