Trouble with Ankles Twisting !!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Salsa, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Salsa

Salsa New Member

The other day I almost broke my ankle!!! This has happened to me many times over the years. I will be walking along on just about any kind of surface & for no apparent reason my right ankle will give out & I almost fall flat on my face!!! I have been told that this is a FM thing. Does anyone else have this problem or have any good ideas about guarding against it??? Maybe some excersises?? I mentioned it to my PT & she did not have any suggestions. Or maybe orthotics (sp?) Or maybe a good brand of tennis shoe that gives good support?? I do not wear high heals or any kind of flimsey shoes only tennis shoes or good hiking boots.
    Any thoughts ???? char
  2. Salsa

Salsa New Member

The other day I almost broke my ankle!!! This has happened to me many times over the years. I will be walking along on just about any kind of surface & for no apparent reason my right ankle will give out & I almost fall flat on my face!!! I have been told that this is a FM thing. Does anyone else have this problem or have any good ideas about guarding against it??? Maybe some excersises?? I mentioned it to my PT & she did not have any suggestions. Or maybe orthotics (sp?) Or maybe a good brand of tennis shoe that gives good support?? I do not wear high heals or any kind of flimsey shoes only tennis shoes or good hiking boots.
    Any thoughts ???? char
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

so many times since I got CFS/FM that I have lost count! The injuries have caused constant pain in both ankles. I finally went to a physiotherapist who gave me ankle-strengthening exercises that, I am not kidding, took the pain away within a week. This is pain that I have lived with for many years! The physio said the ankles could not have improved that much so quickly but the messages to the brain were changed because of the exercises.

I wear only low-heeled supportive shoes but I still trip and twist my ankles frequently. The difference is that now they don't hurt if I keep doing the exercises.

If you want descriptions of the exercises, I would be happy to provide them for you. Pepper
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've been doing that for years! Even since I was a young (before age 12 even)child! I do have flat feet & don't know if that has anything to do with it. I do wear very good sneakers that I was fitted for at a runners shoe store. They were very professional. They are the best sneakers that I've ever had! Everyone's feet are different though. Look into a runners place & get fitted for the proper footwear. I think I've improved since I've gotten the correct support. dolsgirl
  5. motg

motg New Member

Mine twist all the time. I wear hi top shooes and it helps.
    Barb
  6. Salsa

Salsa New Member

yes I would very much like a discription of the excersises. You can post them here if you want or send them to me on my e-mail at sunspirit7@msn.com. thanks again - char