Trouble with arms falling asleep when asleep, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morningsonshine, Mar 14, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

When my back and shoulder muscles are in a flare like now.

I have a horrible time sleeping because my hands are arms will fall asleep and i'll wake-up constantly and in pain.

It dosen't matter if i sleep on my back or side.

Anyone else have this problem, and any suggestion to help with it??

Thank you,
    MSS
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  2. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

in the morning with knumb tingly hands and half way up my arms. Not sure if its a neck thing because I do have degenerative Disc disease and arthritis in my neck plus bone spurs when I broke my neck 20 yrs ago or if its just another fibro anamoly. I can definately relate. Its annoying and I HATE the feeling of pins and needles.

Oddly enough I wake up and my feet are numb when I get outa bed as well. I dont know what my problem is and well, Im so sick of docs that I am not going to try to figure it out. Its not killing me so Ill leave it alone.

HUGS!
  3. twitcher

twitcher New Member

All night, every night.....
  4. morningsonshine

Didn't realize this was such a big problem with others also!!

I'm so tired today, and yet i know laying down will be useless right now.

renea, please do keep us posted on the out come, thanks,

MSS
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

he was ultimately found to be positive on all 5 bands required by CDC for Lyme... his arms and legs, hands and feet would all go numb if they were under him while sleeping;

Not only that, even having his blood pressure taken would make his arm numb.

AND now that he's been under treatment for almost 2 years pulsing abx, the numbness is gone 95% OF THE TIME.

Food for thought.

all the best,
    Victoria

6. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

Heating pad is what I use on the shoulder before I go to bed and even for awhile while in bed. This seems to lessen the pain overnight so I sleep. STill wake up with numb hands/arms, but resolves as I use 'em. It's weird...this is a symptom that has become so much a part of my wake up routine that I sort of don't pay attention to it anymore...never thought that would happen, scary.

Eileen
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I wake with my hands asleep every hour or two..
    I think mine is from my neck.
    I have Degenerative disc, stenosis, spondylosisthesis and bone spurs... though I understand it can also be a first sign of carpol tunnel as well.

Annoying isn't it!!

Hugs!
  8. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Yes it seems I have to reposition alot.

My feet also fall asleep and tingle so I keep shifting them around too.

Sounds like alot of us are in the same boat with you!
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I have that alot too.

In alot of sleep positions,..I wake up hurting and numb.
    Especially having my arm up over my head,.. my whole arm will tingle and go numb.
    I notice alot of pain in the shoulder and upper back/blade/scapula.
    Now my hips are starting to ache alot too!!
    This disease almost effects EVERY body part~

Wish I had some suggestions for ya.
    I just toss and turn as needed :)

Your not alone~
    Tandy
  10. morningsonshine

I didn't even mention my head i thought it would sound crazy!!!
    And it dosen't happen as often as the arms and shoulders.

But i'll wake up in the middle of the night, and the whole side of my head will be numb, and then it will feel like the blood is rushing back in.

And my brain won't work very well, almost feel like i've had a stroke, it usally gives my a panic attack it's so weird and strange feeling!!!

My feet do also get numb and tingly also, but dosen't wake me up like arms and shoulder do, they feel so numb it hurts!!

11. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

Okay, so lots of us get this symptom...anyone know why? At my next dr appt. I'm going to ask about this, but I'm wondering if, like most of us having a sleep disorder, if many of us have some kind of specific neurological disorder. I'm new to all this and I'm trying to understand it well enough to even begin to explain it to family and friends - so any answers to what I call 'the why question' is always helpful!

Eileen
  12. morningsonshine

If any one has a trick to help please share, advil dosen't but a couple of times i have used a hot towel, and that relieves it some.

I have been wondering about carpol tunnel syndrom, my mom just had surgery for that. But it seems to give me the most trouble when i'm in a muscle pain, spasm flare.

Thanks,
    Hugs,

Hope i get some better sleep tonight!
  13. morningsonshine

Those of you who are going to the dr. and ask about this, please comeback and post the results with us!

Thank you,

I'm seeing an alterative Dr. on the other end of our state in the end of april for CFS/LYmes.

I quit going to the regular Dr. around here, because they don't believe in it and weren't very helpful.
  14. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Yes, I have this too. Doctor did a neck x-ray and it showed I have a bone spur in my neck bone and that is causing me this trouble with my hands and arms to fall asleep. I also have arthritis in my neck as well.

Let me know how your doctor treats it.

Regards, Stefanie
  15. Shalala

Shalala New Member

and i feel like someone beat on me all night ,,, lol
  16. whoachief

whoachief New Member

Sounds like a lot of us are dealing with this same problem. My arms will fall asleep regardless of how I sleep, like many of you. Even if I'm laying on my side sometimes the arm I'm NOT laying on will fall asleep. SO WEIRD! I have a drs appt. next week & I'm going to ask him about it. I'll let everyone know what he thinks.
  17. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have the arms and hands that fall asleep all the time day or night.My legs and feet are the worst .I got up one day to take two steps to answer the phone and down my left leg went.It had fallen asleep.Did not know till next day when I saw my orthopedic doctor that I had broken my ankle.

I went to my neurologist and had an EMG done and she could tell somethings were wrong.She sent me for a MRI contrast and no contrast.

They found Tarlov cyst bone spurs DDD OA in my spine and a few other things that I do not remember.

I made an appointment with a neurosurgeon he looked at all my pictures and said he could not do anything for me.He said to get another opinion cause its so bad .But he believes another doctor will say the same thing that there is nothing they can do.I know the Talon cyst can be removed if there is not to much damage .Mine might be to far gone.We shall see with the second surgeon.

My legs fall asleep 24/7 there always numb .I will get up from a seat and be fine than in a second both legs go .My husband if hes home will run and grab me so I do not go down.

My greatest fear is I will be in a wheel chair the rest of my life.Right now I go no wear without my cane so that if one leg goes I can stay standing till it goes away .When both legs go I am in big DO DO if I am out and theres no chair around.

The funny thing is now its no longer a surprise when it happens .I feel it coming now about 15 minutes before it happens.So I can be prepared.

Unless you suffer from this you do not know how it feels.Its a weird feeling for sure.And I am going to get second opinion.

Hope you all find some relief.Oh forgot I also have the sciatic nerve down my left leg.Soma has helped this a lot.I almost never get it unless I forget the soma.Just me.My doctor does not know why it works but it does.I wish it fixed the rest but no such luck.

Good luck all .Let you know what my second surgeon says next week.

Sue
  18. vineyardj123

vineyardj123 New Member

Hi, yes mine do too. The only thing I have found to help with this is to put a pillow between my legs while laying on my side, also a pillow between your arms as if you were hugging it. I have had this problem for years and if I lay flat on my back it always happens, but laying on my side and using the pillows aleviates it a little. It may not work for you, but it sure does for me.

Thanks,

John
  19. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Happens to me too. Try sleeping a little bit up on the pillows. It seems to help me and my neck doesn't hurt as much.
  20. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

every night. its either cfs/fibro or lyme....or both.
    they get so bad at night sometimes when i wake up all touch my fingers together and i cant feel them..at all.
    keeping them pointed toward my feet seem better then having them above my chest and near my face when i sleep.

i believe i have blood problems (coagulation or low blood volume too). i have low blood pressure issues and also restless leg at night. lol

bed time is yet another exciting time for me.