Trouble with Mattresses?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suekoo, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I just came back from a family reunion and I know it's going to take me weeks to undo the damage. I slept on a mattress that wiggled like jello. I tried everything to get comfortable. When I rolled from side to side I thought I was going to roll on to the floor. By the second day I could hardly move. I didn't want to say anything to my Aunt to hurt her feelings, so I am now paying the price. Hips and lower back are just awful. Do others have this problem - when traveling or whatever? Suggestions??
  2. amurtagh

amurtagh New Member

I too slept on a bad mattress while on vacation and I was wrecked for nearly three weeks after that. I was disgusted by how sensitive I was.
  3. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi there,

I have the same problem since I have FM and Degenerative Disc Disease. I take along my orthopaedic pillow that has the memory foam in it for my neck and then I bring along my prescription for Flexeril (10mg). If I have to get up early in the mornings, I only take 1/2 of a pill which is 5mg at around 7 or 8pm depending on what time you go to bed. This not only helps people with FM/CFS get to stage 4 sleep but is a muscle relaxant and helps not being so stiff and sore in the morning.

Just a thought:)

Take care

Ingrid
  4. jka

jka New Member

yes!that's why we take very few trips.most have to be one day only.we bought a good mattress and i can't sleep properly without.
    kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2003]
  5. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Thank you both. It's always good to know that it's not must me! That's why I love this board. Only people with the same problem really understand. :)
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Very expensive but I wouldn't give mine up for anything...
    My non-fibro wife wouldn't either.
  7. LeslieG

LeslieG New Member

Hey!

It is awful to have to sleep on an "unknown" mattress! It's not really worth the vacation when you suffer while on the trip and then to have it linger for days after! The floor always sounds better - unfortunately afterwards.

I even think my good, semi-new mattress needs a change already.

I feel for you!

Leslie
  8. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

I usually go camping about 4 or 5 times a year. The first 3 times we went this year, I woke up swollen like a balloon and could not move. I was sleeping on those 4in foam cushions that come in campers. I bought a regular firm mattress to replace the foam. The last time we went camping for the weekend, I didn't have any problems at all. I know it had to be the mattress that made the difference.

I had a sleep over at the church for my "Girls In Action" group last Friday night. I sleep on a blow up air mattress. I'm still paying for that.

As for the flexeril I take them 3 to 4 times a day. They never even make me sleepy. My husband said it take a "Mack Truck" to knock me out. Lortab used to make me sleepy but it dosen't anymore.
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

A while back my dh and I bought a new mattress. The old one was 20 years old. Needless to say I wish we kept the old one. The new one is hard as a rock. When I lay down on it in the store it was comfortable but after a few nites at home it drove me crazy.

So I bought one of those feather beds from the Lands End. Similar to the Cuddle Ewe mentioned by someone here. I love it. I just put it over the mattress; it has a washable cover.

I don't travel overnight because of this. Motel mattresses wreck me.

Michelle
  10. beckster

beckster New Member

When I go places I take my own bedroll. It is an eggcrate
    foam pad, 12" thick (you can get them whatever thickness you want) about 3 feet wide. Roll it up with my own pillow and comforter. Does not take up much space. If you end up somewhere, anywhere, with a bad bed or mattress, you can put your own roll on top of the bed or on the floor and you are good to go!!!!!!!! We have enough restrictions as it is, huh. This way I am much more "portable", and have more quality of life doing things when I go places, and don't pay for it (as much) afterwards!!!!!!!!!! Beckster
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2003]
  11. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Taking along a foam pad will help on any mattress. I just bought a visco foam topper, 2inches thick..and after only 2 nights I already notice a difference! I am not nearly as stiff as I was on my mattress alone. I thought I had bought a great mattress too...pillow top and all. But, just goes to show you that we are not normal in our sleep or our awake times!LOL I intend to travel with my topper if it is at all possible.