try this for sleep!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 2, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

all,

after reading the book the edge effect that links chronic pain conditions and sometimes insomnia to GABA deficiencies (which makes sense as the fibro drugs like lyrica and neurontin work on gaba), i added a mega-dose of INOSITOL to my nighttime routine which also includes magnesium and 1mg klonopin. i had never associated inositol with gaba since i've seen it used in energy formulas i've tried, but it's apparently needed for the production of gaba and taking it at night in a large dose (1500 - 2000mg) has vastly improved my quality of sleep. for those who like to experiment, i'd be interested to know if they receive the same benefits. i use the jarrow powdered form and mix it with water (it has no bitter aftertaste).

eddie
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, Amino acids can usually do what sleep/psych drugs do, only better and with less side effects.

GABA Is Found In Large Amounts In The Hypothalamus!

Research has demonstrated that GABA (Gama Amino Butyric Acid) has a positive effect on the nervous system and a stabilizing effect on blood pressure. Unlike many adulterated brands on the marker, this product offers 750 mg. of 100% pure GABA.

GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID

Gamma-aminobutyric acid, abbreviated as GABA, is an amino acid that is produced in the brain. It is formed by glutamic acid in the body with the help of vitamin B6, and prevents nerve cells from firing too much and, thus, having a claming effect. As such, GABA serves as a neurotransmitter.

In the body, GABA is found in large amounts in the hypothalamus suggesting that this amino acid plays a crucial role in the hypothalamic-pituitary function. The hypothalamus is a region on the back of the brain, which regulates the instinctive functions, such as sleep cycles, body temperature and the activity of the pituitary gland. The pituitary is the master endocrine gland that affects all hormonal functions of the body. One primary hormone produced in and secreted by the pituitary is growth hormone, which is of great interest to the athlete. GABA is an excellent substitute for growth hormone or "stacking" with other amino acids and nutrients to give more strength and afford faster recovery after intense exercise.

Several clinical studies have shown that ingestion of GABA releases growth hormone, especially after exercise, with remarkable effectiveness. Release of growth hormone increases lean body mass. Consequently, it is an invaluable nutritional supplement for body builders, powerlifters, runners, martial artists, and other athletes of all shades.

In addition, because of its calming and soothing effects, GABA also helps maintain healthy blood pressure, helps control hypoglycemia, prevents anxiety and promotes restful sleep. To an extent, it also regulates appetite, which is helpful in maintaining optimal weight.

GABA is best taken before going to sleep on a relatively empty stomach. Empty stomach means approximately 45 minutes after the ingestion of the day's last meal. Intake of GABA at bed time makes it work with the body's natural rhythms for increased growth hormone production, which happens roughly 90 minutes after the onset of sleep. The evening intake of GABA correlates with GABA's effect to induce restful and refreshing sleep.

Even though the effect of GABA varies from individual to individual, the beneficial effects may be discernible within two weeks, but its full impact may be noticed after six to eight weeks.

Thus, GABA packs a great deal of punch in one amino acid that has numerous beneficial effects, and promotes general wellbeing relatively quickly.

3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I'm still only l/2 thru this book, and I did read about inositol for insomnia. Had the same reaction, as years ago I used to take it for energy.

Are you treating for symptoms, or for your deficiencies according to the questionnaire.

I really need to find a Dr. (other than the author), who knows this program, as it can be pretty confusing. My deficiency #'s are almost identical!!

Any feedback on how you're "using" this book.

Thanks & LIGHT******** and how lucky to have better sleep!! Last night was an hourly wakeup call.....arrrghhh

carole
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm treating based on test results from the book and from past experience. i showed major gaba deficiencies (score was 20) while the others were about half of that. my past experience with pain relief from lyrica and neurontin which both work on gaba, support the test scores. previously to picking up the book, i'd been supplementing with jarrow neuro optimizer which boosts acetylcholine. i stopped this supplement after determining that i was acetylcholine dominant and needed that particular neurotransmitter least of all! dopamine was my second biggest deficiency, so i've also added dlpa (D,L-phenylalanine) in the morning.

it's easy to get lost in the pop psychology of the book, but there's some good nuggets of info to be uncovered that have led to minor course corrections for me. ultimately, i've found there's nothing like acupuncture for balancing those pesky brain chemicals. recently, my acupuncturist has started doing a lot of ear needles on me which focus more on the brain and emotions than some of the points on my back that we've worked previously for aches and pains.

eddie
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Eddie, sounds like we have similar chemistries, and I'd been doing alot of supplements that were making my dominant worse. Just yesterday took two supplements & took me into an emotional basketcase.

My major deficiency is also GABA (15), and I'm taking Klonopin & restoril, along w/ occasional cortisol. Need to do a pediatric dose of inositol, as I still haven't quite figured that one out.

I did acupuncture all through the 80's, and it was great for temporary relief of pain, but had to keep repeating my treatments.

Have you heard about the photostimulator (sp??)? If you google it, you'll find practitioners doing it. I'm doing that along with my neurofeedback. Amazing for pain!

Please keep your progress available, as there are way too few of us following this program. My mission tomorrow is to find a Dr. that has at least "read" the book!

LIGHT**********carole
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Seems I don't ever get out of dream state. One after another. I usedd to keep a dream diary for interpretations, and they became precognitive. Some not so pleasant, so I stopped that.

But, yes, dreams about anything & everything.

LIGHT*************carole
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I am confused!!

What is edge effect?

How do you know you have a GABA deficiency?

I have a Stress B vitamin that contains INositol
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I also dream a lot. I think it is the major reason I do not rest when I sleep. I hope that doesn’t mean that I am acetylcholine dominant, since I am also taking Neuro Optimizer. I am taking it because it contains Phosphatidyl Serine, Acetly L-Carnitine, and Alpha Lipoic Acid, all of which if was formerly taking seperately, and it is cheaper to buy them in combination.

Is it one of them or one or the other four ingredients of the Neuro Optimizer that boosts acetylcholine? That is the problem with combination products - it is difficult to be sure that everything in them is good for you.

I had put The Edge Effect at the bottom of my reading list because of the statement "He claims "all" illnesses begin with the brain." I'm always leery of all or nothing statements. If other people are finding the book help, I may need to move it up the list. Do you have CFS, FM or both?

P.S. What does bpm stand for? I initially thought it must be your initials, but Eddie doesn’t bring any ’b’ or ’p’ names to mind. So is it the kind of writing that you do. Or is 'eddie' short for editor? Fog shrouded minds want to know.
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

In his book, there are questionnaires that you can take to estabish what your dominant nature is, and what your deficiencies are.

Personally, as much as I like this book, the only treatment I'm doing is neurofeedback until I hook up with a Dr. that's familiar with brain chemistry.

Eddie, still haven't picked up the inositol, but since we have similar profiles, may try a "little". My insomnia is so incredible, I'm leary, but I have my Klonopin backup.

I had been taking L-Carnitine because I showed up deficient in a nutritional test; then I read that it upped acetyl. Whatta blow-out day/night that was. Emotions way over the top; thought I was on my way to the ER!! And my husband to the psych ward!!

P.S. How's the phenylalanine going??

LIGHT**********carole
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

littleblue, bpm stands for beats per minute. my first novel was called 200 beats per minute.

carol, i stopped the phenylalanine after reading it's not the best supplement to take if you're prone to anxiety or panic attacks. also, a small percentage of people have a hereditary weakness where their bodies can't convert the phenylalanine to tyrosine.

i just started taking ultram (i lose patience quickly with the all-natural approach!) which works on gaba as well as mild reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. so far, the pain relief has been amazing. still taking inositol and 1mg klonopin at bedtime for sleep.

eddie
  11. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Eddie, I started the inositol, but guess I have to take it longer, as my sleep hasn't improved, although I think a little of my daily anxiety has.

I used to take tyrosine for my depression, and it worked great, as well as supported my thyroiditis. But then it started revving me up too much, and set off my IBS.

After being thrown from my horse a few years back, they put me on Ultram. It was great for the pain I had, but alas read it was what they call a very "dirty" drug for the liver, so stopped it.

Did I ask you when you took Dr. Braverman's questionnaire, did you answer the lst one as you "currently" feel, or how you felt pre-illness? Reason I ask is that I came out acetyl nature (pre-illness), but acetyl deficiency currently (second to GABA).

Lastly, I'm starting to take thiamine next week as he mentioned that to support the GABA.

LIGHT**********carole