Trying Ambien CR Is it working for anyone here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PrariWolf, Aug 23, 2006.

1. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

My doc wants me to try Ambien CR at double strength. That means I only have 3 days' worth, coz the state plan refuses to cover it and so on my own I got a 7-day trial pack free from the company's website. Was wondering before I take it if it's worked for people here and if there were any side effects. I tend to have terrible side effects to this sort of med (one gave me horrible back spasms, a really rare SE for that med)so I'd like some feedback before I swallow any. Thanks.
  2. cczub

cczub New Member

Fisrt off, let me make sure I got this, your doctor wants you to take a double dose (12.5mgX2)?? Is your sleep problem:
    A) Trouble falling asleep
    B) Trouble staying asleep
    C) Waking up too early

Mine is staying asleep.

I was on the standard dose (12.5mg) for a week and it did NOTHING for me. I had no side effects from it it just didn't work.

I've also tried Lunesta (3mg) and that did nothing either and had a few bad side effects from it.

I'm now on Tradozone 50mg at bedtime. It sure does help. I normally go to sleep at 10pm and was waking up 6-10 times a night. Now I wake up 2-4 times each night and usually one of them is to use the bathroom...

Good luck with the AmbienCR.
  3. HanMak

HanMak New Member

I am currently on Ambien CR 12.5mg daily. I have pretty much tried everything else out there. Nothing seems to be working for me. I have obstructive sleep apnea, but even with the CPAP and sleep meds, I have a difficult time falling asleep and staying asleep. I am averaging 2-3 hours on and off each night. I am extremely exhausted in the morning.
  4. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

12.5 x2 is what he wants me to try. (I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and I wake up early.) I think Lunesta is the one that gave me back spasms. It's hard to keep them straight, between the sheer number of meds I've tried and the brain fog. I haven't tried Tradazone. One problem is almost none of the newer sleep meds are approved by our cheap version of Medicaid (I'm in AZ, NEVER come here if you're sick!!!) and money is VERY tight. If the AmbienCR has no effect I'll ask about that. I've been noticing people posting about it here. Gods, what I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep.
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I take 12.5 CR at night. It does help me. My only side effect is it it harder to wake up in the morning. So now I take it around 9-10 pm, then take the rest of my night meds about an hour later. I go to bed between 11-12.

I also take klonopin 1mg and 75 mmg of pamelor, I think it is the combintion that works for me.

I had have ambein amnesia, I post things on the baord and forget until I see it the next day.

I hope you find what works for you-Carla
  6. oesmom

oesmom New Member

I didn't take ambien cr, just the regular one. I only took either 1/3 or 1/4 pill per night and slept great. But, like so many other meds, it made my hair fall out.
  7. cczub

cczub New Member

Is an older medication. The Ambien CR cost me $20.00 (30 pills) with my insurance compared to the Trazodone (60 pills) for $6.75 with my insurance. When on the Lunesta I was also taking Xanax and Lexapro at night and it still didn't work.

Trazodone isn't just for sleep but it's working so far for me. My wife was able to tell the difference the first night I went to 50mg.. She said I didn't wake her up once!

Good Luck
  8. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

everyone. My pulmonologist is great, trying to learn about FM and picking up the slack from my couldn't-care-less GP. He can prescribe sleep meds coz he runs a sleep disorders clinic, thank goodness. If trazadone is older, perhaps it will be covered. Good to have options. I don't know about anyone else but I find myself waiting to take meds not only coz I'm bracing for side effects, but because I've tried enough things that don't work or make things worse that I want to prolong the hope a little while before being disappointed yet again. Is that crazy? LOL
  9. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Ambien works well for me now but it didn't in the beginning.

At first I only could leep for 5 hours and then awake.

So I played around with it and take a Flexeril about 2 hrs. before I take the Ambien and it seems to work.

I think that Tietelbaum suggests to take the Ambien along with some sleeping herbal remedies at the same time. But those are always too weak for me.

I think we have to do what works for us individually and that takes some time to figure out.

I,too, am leary to try new things after years of trying and trying meds and herbs and still feeling this way.

But I will say that with the Ambien I am sleeping much, much better. And I do tend to have something to eat after I take the pill, but it is worth it to sleep well. At least for now.

Hope this helps.

Jeanne
  10. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

Did'nt work at all. I had been taking ambien 10mg, but was waking up often still. So Dr. suggested Ambien CR as I said didn't work any better than ambien without CR, LOL. Now I'm taking the ambien and elavil 25mg. This combination seems to work well for me. I'm getting a decent 5-6 hrs now. I'm still tired when I wake up & throughout the day. Some days are better than others, OH WELL. Just keep on keepin on
  11. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I took trazadone a few years ago, and it did wonders for putting me to sleep...fast. But I was quite drowsy in the morning.

I started taking Ambien about 2 years ago, but had trouble staying asleep past 2 am. Now I take the CR version, and I sleep pretty well. No grogginess in the morning.

kat
  12. misskoji

misskoji Member

I've been taking it for about a month now, switching from regular ambien and klonopin to cr and klonopin at night. Let me tell ya', I stay asleep! I fall asleep! Sometimes I even wake up refreshed. Note the sometimes....

Of course there are those nights I think many of us get that absolutely nothing will help us sleep, but those nights are few and far between now.

Hope it works for you hun!

Deanna
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

Doxepin HCL Caps.......I can take up to 10 a night !!!!!!!!!

My rheumy gives me 10 mg. caps and so 10 of them is 100 mg.
    Can get higher mgs. caps once you know your dosage. He left it up to me on what works. He just does not want me to exceed 100 mg. a night.

No side affects and does not leave you groggy. I rarely wake up after I take them. Sometimes for a bathroom trip, otherwise I stay asleep and sleep deeper.

They do not make me groggy or dopey like in order to fall asleep, for some it does. But I sure stay asleep which is nice and no after effects of dopiness .

I would recommend searching for Ambien in the search box on this site. It sounded interesting to me until I read more about it. It scares me. But it does not mean it is bad for everyone.

Good Luck............Susan
  14. jane32

jane32 New Member

works for me-7-8n hrs...I was on lunesta but it seemed to stop working. The ambein puts me oout pretty quick.