trying Nuerontin..any words from the family about this....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seaview, Aug 27, 2002.

1. seaview

seaview New Member

drug and how it has helped or not.? How long till you did feel a difference if it did help you - given how expensive it is? I am currently using vicodin,skelexin,and klonopin but they are not helping and I want to try something else.Forget antidepressants.......hate those and my doctor will not try any other pain meds. I am never out of pain...esp. neck,shoulders,and back.(guess that covers most of the areas lol)I also take supplements but havent noticed a big difference with those either.Just looking for something to take the edge off so I can function better. My mom said it helped her but she couldn't afford it..she had to pay cash.It will cost us 70.00 a month which is a stretch for us also. Thanks for your input...your lives and experiences are always appreciated by me.....Kathleen
  2. seaview

seaview New Member

drug and how it has helped or not.? How long till you did feel a difference if it did help you - given how expensive it is? I am currently using vicodin,skelexin,and klonopin but they are not helping and I want to try something else.Forget antidepressants.......hate those and my doctor will not try any other pain meds. I am never out of pain...esp. neck,shoulders,and back.(guess that covers most of the areas lol)I also take supplements but havent noticed a big difference with those either.Just looking for something to take the edge off so I can function better. My mom said it helped her but she couldn't afford it..she had to pay cash.It will cost us 70.00 a month which is a stretch for us also. Thanks for your input...your lives and experiences are always appreciated by me.....Kathleen
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

didn't help me and I took it for 3 months 900mg 3 times a day. I am soooooo fed up with doctors not wanting to help us!!!! I could just scream!!!! Let them walk in our shoes for one day....they would break their necks getting to the next pharmacy!!!! haha!! Go read some of what this dr. has to say about the other doctors www.drgatell.com
    Good luck!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Hi Kathleen, It didn't help me either. I would be drugged so highly on it all I could was sit in a chair and stare at the tv (what a trip, man). My arms and legs also were very heavy and couldn't lift them and I was still in a major amount of pain. I went back to Ultram, I take 100mg four times a day. Strange though, I was talked into trying the generic version, Tramadol, and the Pharmacist insisted there was no difference between the two. Since I've been on the Tramadol, I feel a little bit of a druggy feeling and I've been getting some pretty awesome headaches. I go to the Rheumetologist next Tuesday and boy, do I have a lot of questions written down. By the way, I also take 200mg of Celebrex three times a day. God bless, Deena
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I take 1200mgs a day. I "felt" different from inception which has been three years. That was my starter dose but lost the capacity to continue with my rheumy who began my treatment plan so each physician I have seen has just left it alone and prescribed it.

I was not prescribed it so much for pain as to augment the dysthymia and other mental illness' I've had for eons. I cannot find the word to say WHAT it does but I am more in dontrol of my PTSD, Panic disorder w/agorophobia et al. Since it along with most of the RX I take cause symptoms should I suddenly quit, I try to keep things to a minimum.

After three years on this board I've heard basically either they work for a person or they don't! Cactus.
  6. mapessd

mapessd New Member

Hi Kathleen
    I was on 2,400 mg of nureontin at one time ,i didn't think it helped so they took me off slowly . Started me on 50 mg of ultram thought it was not working..So now i take 50mg ultram and 2,400 and it seems to help> I also take 25mg of Vioxx at bed time, or i can hardly get out of bed in the morning.... I'm not pain free and i don't think we will ever see that day again!!!
    They always said stress is a big factor i didn't believe it but everyone is sooo right. Less stress does make a difference
    I hope you find a pain med.. that works for you it makes life a little easier a lot happier
    Good Luck And Hugs (soft)
    Sue
  7. clueless

clueless New Member

I take neurontin but it was prescribed for me for peripheral neuropothy. I am supposed to take it three times a day 300mg. but find if I take it at noon it makes me dizzy and can not stay awake in the evening. Hopeto change when I go to doctor next week. My!!! I did`nt realize the cost of hem aswe have insurance. I believe it is a good idea to get only 10 or 15 of the prescription until one can see if it helps and therefore not losing the cost of the entire prescription. Hope it will work for you. Good thoughts!!