TRYING TO GET HEATING PAD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi all,

I have a (almost) year old prescription for a heating pad by my doctor. Would you believe I can't find anyone online or a nearby medical supply outfit who deals with prescribed heating pads?

Anyone know where I can get someone who will take this prescription and fill it?
    I live in NJ. Thanks!
  2. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Leenerbups.

My doctor has prescribed such things as a light-box (for seasonal affective disorder), a back brace, cervical collar, orthopedics etc.

Each time he prescribes something, it's been up to me to purchase the item (usually from a medical supply company), then submit both the prescription and the receipt (for the purchased item) into the insurance company (usually these's an insurance form to fill out).

Then the insurance company reimburses me for the cost of the prescribed item.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it's all I know about prescribed medical supplies.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Thanks for your answers.

I would purchase it first but everytime I have fronted money up front and submitted it to Medicare, i never get reimbursed. I don't know if I'm not dealing with the right companies or what I'm doing wrong.

I just contacted some companies in that google search and they told me they don't do heating pads.
    Argh!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Do none of your local home medical supply agencies not fill prescriptions for heating pads, or perhaps is your perscription too old? I know most people will honor a script that is less than a year old for most things.

According to my local home medical supply store and several pharmacies, there is no one particular heating pad which is "prescribed" for relief of pain. They know what Medicare and/or various insurances will pay on them and therefore, they will fill your script with one of them.

Maybe you need to talk with the manager of some of the stores you contacted.

Did your doctor write the Dx on the script? That is a must. I had my doc write "for arthritis pain relief" on my script and had absolutely no problem getting it filled.

Hope you have some luck and eventually get it filled!

Hugs,
    jlh
  6. lea

lea Member

do you know what is the insurance for the light, please?
    thank you
    lea