Trying to get things done when fatigued

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JencyH, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JencyH

JencyH New Member

Sometimes i think i am the only one who has this CFS/Fibro problem. The worst thing is trying to keep an uncluttered apartment (i live alone in my own clutter). I cannot keep it even fit for company...it is awful! I don't seem to know how to begin. My organization skills are gone...it seems like a jumbled up problem. I think it is common for CFS/Fibro. There are so many days that i get up out of bed, used the bathroom, then go right to the couch. This is no way to live. My place is soooo bad i cannot even ask anyone to help me (unless i never saw them ever again haha)
    Love to hear how others cope.
  2. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

When I was employed(now on disability) I could afford a housekeeper. Boy was that wonderful. Now, though, I can't afford one on my limited income. I can't stand a messy house though, and force myself to clean it. I clean every two weeks(floors, toilets, dusting,etc) and it takes me a couple of hours or so to do it. Today was a cleaning day and I was exhausted afterwards. Then, I find that I can keep my house tidy in between cleanings just by keeping dishes done and clutter picked up. I have a young daughter and she sure manages to leave things laying everywhere!

I know it's hard when you don't feel well, but personally, I get kind of depressed more when I let things go and my place is cluttered and dirty. I think if you could get your place in order, you could then do your best to keep it up. It's probably just overwhelming to look at and figure out where to begin. Is there anyone you can ask to help you get it under control? I'm sure you're self-conscious about having someone see your apartment right now. But, I had a cousin who was ill and let her place get really out of hand. A couple of cousins took a little of their time to go over and clean it up for her. It made a big difference for her and she felt so relieved to have a clean house. Please don't let pride stop you from getting some assistance. It's not easy feeling sick and tired all the time and there are people who would probably help you if you would only ask. Best of luck.
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I know it is hard but you can take small steps, one day at a time and eliminate the mess.

Purchase some inexpensive cardboard storage boxes for letter or legal size files from the office supply store. Also get some black marking pens.

Just start dumping the mess in the boxes and label the top lid so you will know what is in the box.

To load up the boxes is very fast. Then take the boxes to a spare room and start sorting through them as you have time. Some things will go to charity, some you can put away.

This is a start...
  4. pookeysmom

pookeysmom New Member

I have been feeling the same way. Currently I am working full time - It is not by choice. I tried to use my short term disability insurance through work but they don't seem to agree with my Doctors diagnoses of FM, sero negative RA and Ankylosing Spondylitis, apparantly all of that dosen't make me "disabled"

Anyway I have been feeling very depressed about the condition of my house - I just can't get it clean. I remember before all of this I could push myself and get the whole house inlaw ready in a weekend. Now it is all I can do to keep our clothes cleaned. I asked my Pain Management Doctor about what I should do when I have breakthru pain when I try to clean up - he told me to not be as finicky about keeping the house clean. I haven't had that good of a laugh in a while. I do have a husband and 8 year old daughter, but they seem to be good at making messes, not cleaning them up.

I am sorry that I don't have any good suggestions, just know that you are not alone! (I keep dreaming of winning the lottery so I could quit my job and hire a maid.)

Hang in there,
    Laurie
  5. wangotango

wangotango New Member

just last night i had a friend over and i was having a good day so he helped me move the heavy things and he carried stuff to the garage. i went from stuff everywhere to whow i can see the floor. it had been like that for 4 months. a path to the bathroom, kitchen, couch and bedroom. i ma lucky to have friends who understand and when we are done they dont give off the ole (man he's lazy look). good luck
    bill