Trying to Pace yourselfHELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1975jet, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi all my buddies out there... Do you find pacing yourself is difficult?? I sure am trying, but it's like when you get some energy your mind and body wants to get it all done at once... Like wow, what I could conquoer now...

Than before you know it seems like this vaccuum sucked everything out of yah!!! I have never been lazy, but god I feel like that at times NOW.

Doctor told me to pace... and stop trying to do the man physical labor!!!

How do you all do it- especially the woman.

2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

I have been told the same thing,but when you feel good at all you try and cram everything in when you can.
    Sorry I can't help I'm guilty also!
    Hugs,
    Mary
  3. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Thanks Mary, I guess it is something just have to control... Hard as it is - must be human nature or sorry guys a woman thing!!! Although I know guys do same to the degree...

I will keep on trying- energy level seems to weaken each day
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... and that is in meting out energy, not walking back and forth. lol

A timer! I use a timer. I find that if I do any one activity for an extended (say, over a half hour) period of time, I pay for it no matter what it is but mostly physical activity. So I try to remember to set the timer on my stove for 1/2 hour and when it rings I (swear and) do something else for a period of time.

It's very hard but it's very necessary. Also the 50% rule; do only 50% as much as you feel you have the energy to do.

Sucks, doesn't it? I'd rather have a cure.

Marta
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

This is really hard for me. Like many of us here, before I got sick I was very energetic and a "do-it-all" person. I rarely sat down. I used to love to cook and entertain. People used to look forward to our parties because we always had music and dancing and I always prepared lots of food. We also gave wonderful dinner parties. Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. I used to prepare all the old favorites plus a few new recipes and in addition to immediate family I always invited people who had no family or nowhere to go. All this was in addition to working full-time and being a wife and mom to 3 boys.

Fast forward - present. Who am I? That is the question that I try to answer daily. Now that I cannot do all that I used to do, how do I do nothing?

I am still recuperating from having our 2 grandsons, ages 7 and 5, for 2 weeks. The house is a wreck and we've had no rain so our yard has suffered. This morning I watered one section of our garden. That's it! I can't do anymore today.

I have had to lower my expectations and learn to love the life I have. I've also realized that I used to do way too much. I've also learned that if I keep doing things in spite of how sick I feel, then no one will believe I am sick. I am sick and I must take care of me. This illness has humbled me and brought me to my knees. My faith in God has been strengthened and I lean on Him for support.

This message board has helped me enormously. Here I find people who truly understand. So, I come back here daily and get support and learn from all of you.

Bless you all,

Lolalee
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Pacing is crucial to our recovery. We need to find a way to rest in between activities. Setting a timer is good, making a schedule and planning rests at certain times of the day can work. We need to rest even when we feel OK in order to build our energy stores back up. We can't do that if we keep emptying the tank. It's not easy but it's necessary.

My CFS doctor has had a couple of patients end up in bed needing total care because of too many push-crash episodes. Something to think about.

Kathy.
  7. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Thanks so much- great ideas...I'm so glad I have you guys here. It like a special soap opera(no pun intended) I have to keep coming back a few times a day. When my neck and shoulders start to hurt, I get off this computer.

thanks soooo much

Hope everyone is having a nice day!!!