Trying to understand detoxing. What am I missing ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Apr 28, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi All,

I have been reading the detox / herxing posts here, but haven't found one that talks about how long a person needs to detox ? And who needs to detox.

I'm confused because when you hear or read about detox centers it is only for a specific period of time. A month, maybe three. And from what I have read a lot of this time is for therapy.

Has anyone been to a detox center ? For CFIDS/FM or anything else.

Any ideas. Do our bodies collect toxins ? Do we not get rid of them as well as other people ? What about all the natural anti-oxidants that are in our diets ? Vitamin "C", green tea, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am lost .... marcia

2. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

People detox for many reasons.

Those with addictions to prescription and recreational drugs detox to clear their bodies and minds of their addictive drug residues.

CFS/FM patients detox to lower the toxin burden of their bodies to help healing and improve their quality of life by making symptoms less severe.

What we are detoxing is often past and present chemical exposure (pesticides , formaldehyde from carpeting, etc.) and endotoxins (toxins produced within the body itself).

Endotoxins can be caused by improperly digested food finding its way into the blood thru a leaky gut. They are also produced by harmful microbes infecting us.

The body has a number of detoxification pathways, including the liver, kidneys, lymphatic system, and skin.

The goal is to reduce toxic insults to the body while gradually eliminating your accumulated body load developed over many years.

Heavy metal poisoning (mercury, cadmium, lead, etc) in partcular is a concern. They are potent neurotoxins that tend to migrate to brain and nervous tissue. Other toxins tend to be stored away by the body in fat cells.

If you search under detox on this site you will glean a lot of useful info based on real-world experience of patients here.

Peruse this goldmine of anecdotal wisdom, experiment, test, use what works for you, and discard the rest.

Best of luck on your adventure.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I think everyone needs to detox actually, but probably those of us who are sick need it more. Detoxing is dfiferent for each person. I was tested for heavy metals and some levels were high. I am doing it under my Doctor's supervision. I have had IVs, oral supplements and Far Infrared sauna treatments.

As is usual with us, some things help one person and some things another. The length of time depends on how toxic you are and how you feel. Certainly things like antioxidents can be helpful. Generally, I think it's best to get some direction if you feel you need detoxing.

Kathy.
  4. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Hello everyone!

With high quality supplements, especially an antioxidant will help remove toxins, but it may take about 6 mths for your body to repair it's damaged cells and begin to heal itself.

Hope this helps!
    Dena
  5. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

I have found ...taking a high quality, science based supplement that is designed to provide a balanced spectrum of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants to help compensate for today's poor nutrition, and to counteract the free radical damage that threatens our cells everyday.

Long term health...the linkage between good nutrition and long term health is indisputable.

The smorgasboard approach is not the way to go because too much of a good thing can become a bad thing and effect other organs in your body, specifically, your liver.

I had stated in another thread, that you must be careful when taking supplements since they are not regulated by the US Govt and if manufactured to Food Grade Standards, they are not required to meet label claim. Alarming, isn't it?

There is a book called The Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements by Lyle MacWilliam that should help you determine who has the best product out there.

:)

6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

On a daily basis I consume a large green leafy salad, with tomatoes, carrots, and purple cabbage, a large glass of v8 juice, a bannana and a cup of yogurt that I add fresh berries to. Berries are supposedly heavy duty anti oxidants. I also eat some fresh cilantro (yuck)chased by whole wheat crackers.Cilantro is supposed to get rid of some metals. This stuff seems to help flush my system. In my opinion this is much better than pill supplements. After all God did not give us a tree bearing orange pills (peels, ha ha). HE gave us a tree bearing orange fruit. If I flush my body every day, hopefully I can also flush out the bad stuff while retaining the nutrients I need. I also eat a handful or two of raisins which are supposed to be good the liver. This seems to help my body deal with, not cure, whats wrong with me. Now if I could only find a food to help undo the damage done to my neurotransmitters by aspartame, I'd probably be a whole lot better.
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi All,

Thanks so much for explaining why people need to detox. I think I've got that part now. Heavy metals, pesticides,
    leaky gut problems, and drugs.

The part that is so confusing, is how do I know if my body is detoxing itself like it was designed. My liver enzymes are good, kidneys are working properly, digestive system is now working as it should. I sweat sometimes, so my skin is doing it's job.

I'd prefer not to go to a doctor and ask him to test me for toxins. I really dread that "what the hell look" doctors are so famous for.

And how do you know when are finally detoxed ?

If you look at the drug info packet, it will tell you the half life of the drug you are taking.

Does anyone know the half life of pesticides and heavy metals ? Don't our bodies work on pesticides, etc. the same as they do on drugs ?

Thanks again for your replies. I really appreciate your efforts. Sorry to be so dense. : )

Hugs .. Marcia

8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

One morning you'll wake up and possibly feel a little better. Then you'll know something is working for you.
  9. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

... to keep you motivated to stay on course in detoxing your body.

As your toxic load lessens you should definitely feel lighter and your mood should brighten.

The reason we have to do specific detoxification regimens is because sick people's livers (and other detoxifying organs) have become congested and overwhelmed by toxins through chronic infection, diet, and occupational or home chemical exposure.

When the body can't deal effectively with new daily toxins they get recirculated in your system and cause all kinds of havoc to organs and tissues.

Ordinary liver tests that doctors order are just a crude, gross measure of liver function. Normal ranges in test results vary widely but won't necessarily indicate a congested or compromised liver.

The liver is our master detoxification organ. Restoring liver function is key to restoring overall health.

A liver needs a good liver!

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2006]
  10. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

xchocoholic,

You're right, this stuff can be overwhelming, but I appreciate your willingness to learn.

Proanthocyanidins (a type of bioflavonol) appear to be some of the most powerful free-radical scavengers yet discovered. Proanthocyanidins are found in many types of foods, but only in extremely small amounts.

Proanthocyanidins are distributed to virtually every organ and tissue, and remain in the body for up to 72 hours.
    Proanthocyanidins may be bioavailable and are absorbed from the stomach into the bloodstream.
    Not only do proanthocyanidins neutralize free radicals themselves, but they conserve and regenerate vitamins C and E.
    Vitamin E is a powerful free-radical scavenger, and flavonols and vitamin C regenerate vitamin E.

Hugs back to you...Dena