Trying to understand...new (fairly) to fibro.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amfibromom, Feb 18, 2007.

1. amfibromom

amfibromom New Member

Hi! I am fairly new to fibromyalgia and this is my first post. I was diagnosed in November 2006. My rheumy told me that I had this disease ever since I first saw him over 2 1/2 years ago at my last appointment a couple of weeks ago.

I am feeling really frustrated, because he knew this and did not feel it was that big of a deal because I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis as well. It IS a big deal to me, though. If I had known this all along I would have had a better understanding of why I have felt so bad and had been in so much pain over the last couple of years. It by far is a much bigger issue than the arthritis and psoriasis. He doesn't seem to want to offer much in the way of treatment. I am now trying to find a new rheumy that has a better understanding of this disease so that I can get better treatment. I take medication for the arthritis and psoriasis, but it doesn't do much for the fibromyalgia pain.

I am just feeling really desperate for help, understanding, and not made to feel like I am a hypochondriac for having constant pain. I am a stay at home Mom of two little girls (4 and 5) and it is really difficult sometimes just to make it through the day.

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks before my 31st birthday (I am now 33) and everything thing started then. Before that, I hardly had any health problems. It is really frustrating.

Does anyone relate to this? Any tips on what works best and what doesn't? Is this a common thing to happen after having a hysterectomy. I have read it is a possibility, but has anyone experienced this after having one?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2007]
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Some doctors just don't think it's worth addressing - so sad! I also believe many wait for us to diagnose ourselves so they don't put the thought into our heads.

You could have been reading, studying, finding us 2 1/2 yrs ago if you had known! At least you are here NOW. Welcome aboard you'll learn alot here in a short amount of time.

I am 55 and have had FM most of my life and I've had a hysterectomy but no relation between the two.

My doctor prescribes norco (pain med) for me now but it has been a slow progression over many years as my body got use to previous pain killers. I also take an anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant.

Be sure to try the search box anytime something pop's into your head because odds are someone had addressed it. Also check out the library articles, lots of great info.
  3. amfibromom

amfibromom New Member

Thank you so much for the info! At least this gives me a place to go to talk among other people suffering from the same thing, when it sometimes seems to be a very lonely battle.

I have been reading up as much as I can prior to coming to this site, and it seems at every turn, I learn something new. I will certainly check out the library on this site for info. Thank you!
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

especially since you have two little ones and have had to suffer. As you learn more on this site you will see that many of us have had to go to many, many, many drs. to get the correct diagnosis and then we spend many more hours trying to find the "right dr." to treat us. Please don't feel alone in your anger as this is all so common to all of us. The more you post and read, the better equiped you become at asking your dr.questions.
  5. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Goodness Prickles, you are a wealth of info! That's sure a lot of stuff to be tested for. It's amazing how much I can find out about here.

Fibromom...I had a hyst one year before my fibro diagnosis. I'm not sure if that kicked things off, and made it worse, but I do know I had pain/fatigue etc... way before my hyst. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not.

Hope you find relief!
    myjoy
  6. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I also had my Fibro kick in shortly after my Hysterectomy. Wonder if there is a relation there?
    Pattie