Trying to work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sassypinklee, Apr 25, 2007.

1. sassypinklee

sassypinklee New Member

Hi there here's my story, I have had fybromyalgia for about 6 years now and this is my first real attempt to work. It's alot harder when Iam so sore and unhappy but the situation is I neeed to do this. I feel i have to prove that I can keep this job and help my husband who has never told me I had to work but we do need the extra cash at this time. I am a receptionist and sales support for my co-workers.Iam pushing my self to hard but dont want to give up because that is what everyone expects. Does anyone have any tricks to help me push through and be a success? Thanks for listening.

Rene
  2. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

Rene, Hi, I too keep trying to work with all my "hurts". I have been diagnosed with FM,CFS,Arthritis,Carpel Tunnel, Migraines, DDD, for about 10 years. And Asthma for at least 12 years. I understand about hurting and not feeling well. I have been doing housecleaning work for 13 years now. As you can imagine this is a very physical job. Some days I couldn't even walk! To be honest I don't know how I kept going. My only thought would be I was newly divorced with no help from him. I still had bills to pay. So I had to work. This is a very small rural area where I live so jobs were hard to find. They still are. Back then I knew I had the basic bills to pay, plus I had kids to take care of. I think I also needed to prove to myself as well as my ex that I could make it on my own. Without him! So I really pushed myself. I would work from 8AM to 8PM sometimes. I hurt so bad and was so tired. Didn't sleep because I hurt so bad. I didn't eat or sleep. I was kind of like a walking zoombie. I don't suggest trying this. Not good.
    Now I am still working. Still cleaning. But I don't have the same shceduale as I had before. Then I had 14 places to do, now I have 5 I do through the month. Trust me this is almost to much some days.
    Anyway, all I can say about you wanting to keep working is this: as long as you can handle it, go for it. Don't push yourself to the point that you feel like you may drop. It's not worth it. I really believe a persons attitude also helps a lot. Try to stay positive, pamper yourself when you are home. I hope you have a good doctor and a good support system around you. Would you be able to maybe slow down some at work? You don't have to prove anything to anyone. But you do need to take care of yourself.
    I'm sorry to keep rambling on. This may not be of much help. I just hate to see you push yourself the way I did. Because I am definately paying for it now. Try soaking in a tub of hot water when you get home. That used to help some for me. Also there are numerous topical cremes and rubs on the market. Also it is important to do your stretches to help keep the muscles in shape.
    Please do take care of yourself, and God Bless,
    Chris
  3. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I also have FM, CFS, arthritis in my thoracic and lumbar spine, related depression (Just recently diagnosed in January). I was taken off of work on January 19, 2007, I returned back to work as a Special Ed Teacher on April 2, 2007. It has been so difficult. I know how hard it is to get up and go to work when you are so tired and in pain.

The only advice I can give is to take each day as it comes. When you are too sick and/or hurt too much, stay home. I cannot emphasize this enough. It is so not worth making yourself worse. I am, and have always been, a type A person. I completed a graduate program last August in education. I also worked full-time and completed the program in 1 year. I started school 3 months after I had a total hip replacement. Probably too much information, but I am 45, and I just wanted you to understand that I understand.

My drs have me on Cymbalta, for pain and depression, amiltryptline for sleep, flexaril for muscle spasms, pain meds. I also take 10mg of Adderall to help with the fatigue on the days that I work. The Adderall has helped me so much. It allows me to make it through the day. I am only a shadow of who I was less than a year ago, but I am working full-time. Rest when you get home and alot more on your days off.

Take care Rene, and I my thoughts are with you.

Kelly