TSH at 5.21

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All:

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 4 years ago when I was also diagnosed with FM.

I received copies of my file for disability and noticed that my most recent blood work indicated that the TSH was 5.21.

The lab that does the analysis is one of those that still believes the TSH range is up to 5.0. Many others have now changed what the upper range acceptible is and that's changed to 3.0.

I'm not sure whether to contact my Dr. and ask for my thyroid meds to be upped. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Eileen!

I would suggest doing an underarm basal temperature test. That's what I use to refine my thyroid dosage and get it just right.

You can find instructions on the internet or in at least one past thyroid thread here. Dr. Broda Barnes invented it, so you might try his website. I got it from his book. Or it might be on the about.com thyroid page.

I try to keep my basal temp at 98.

Keep in mind that what is a normal TSH for you can vary from what is normal for other people. It's like shoe size. It varies.

3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I'm currently on 75 mcg of Synthroid. I know that I'm not receiving enough thryoid meds because I have bradycardia (my heart rate is 55) and my temp is never about 97. Lots of fatigue too.

The problem is the labs up in Canada. If they say 5 is ok, then the Dr's seem to follow that. I think I'll have to get some documents for my Dr. to read about the new guidelines in the US that say .3 to 3.0. Even if he upped me to a 100, I'd like to see the difference it makes.

Thanks for your feedback.

4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi again, Eileen,

Oh you're on Synthroid! Have you ever tried Armour thyroid? It works a lot better for a lot of us on this board. It contains T1, T2, and T3 as well as T4.