TSH Results - 11.64

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by j9miller, Jul 25, 2003.

1. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Help!!! I have been begging my primary dr to treat me for hypothryroidism for years because my bloodwork always was normal high but now look at that number ... 11.64. Can you believe that in less than a year my TSH went so high. I need to get to an endocrinologist and have a complete thyroid panel run. But can you believe it was my pain clinic dr (anesthesiologist) who finally agreed to run these tests for me. I am so thankful for him.
    Any opinions on why TSH got so high so quick and should I worry about the pituitary?

Janine
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2003]
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

for the reply. I get so frustrated with these drs who DO NOT LISTEN. We know our bodies and we know how we feel. I just wish they would take the time to listen to us.

Janine
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

At most labs in the US, up until late 2002, the normal TSH range was from .5 - 5.5 That range changed to .3 - 3.0 as of early 2003. Females want to get their TSH as close to 1.0 as possible. I don't know why yours went so high, but what was it last year? You definitely need some thyroid hormone. I don't know how you are walking around with TSH like that. I just went in to get my thyroid checked on Monday, and my TSH was .12, way too low. Now I'm hyperthyroid and am not taking my Synthroid for a few days and when I do restart, it's at a lower dosage.

I don't know anything about the pituitary gland, but normally it's the adrenals that they check before they give you thyroid hormone, because if the adrenals are insufficient, your hypothyroidism will get worse.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2003]
  4. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I read about the new values when I was researching hypothyroidism and was even more frustrated that my primary dr had put me off for so many years. My TSH tests always came back at or around 5. I have had many of the symptoms but because of the FM I was told thats what everything was from. (I am sick of everything being blamed on FM)
    My previous test before this was 11 months ago and it showed my TSH at 4.8 - I was shocked to see it had jumped to 11.64 - in less than a year.
    I am more tired but of course with my pain level I have a very difficult time sleeping so I blamed most of my fatigue on that but now can see some of it was caused by the hypo.
    I am leaving for Houston tomorrow and will make an appointment to see an endocrinologist when I get back. I need to be treated for the Hypothyroidism as well as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I just love having all these fun illness'. My life would be so boring without all this excitement of drs, meds and such. (Boy do I long for boring!!!)

Janine
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You will feel wonderful once you get your TSH to around 1.0. I know what you're going through, been there.....for years.....and done that!

Marilyn :)
  6. gail3942

gail3942 New Member

Janine,
    I know the frustration, my recent test came back .04. 6 weeks before that it was .37. Just did more blood work so it will be interesting to see. I take synthroid, and the Dr. cut it down after the .04 reading. She also put me on B12 shots 2x weekly for 8 weeks. My B12 was low as well. Just when I think things are under control, something else pops up.
    Gail