Tubal Ligation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Jan 6, 2011.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share that I'm going to get tubal ligation done. I've looked at all of the benefits and negatives about tubal ligation, as well as every other alternative forms of birth control, and I've made my final decision on getting tubal ligation done.

Is there anyone else here that have made the choice not to have children or raise children due to this illness? I could use some support on this. No opinions or what one thinks I should do or decide, just support if you've gone through this or are deciding on this as a permanent form of birth control.

Fight4acure ;)
  2. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

Is a Vasectomy out of the ?
    It would be easier for him than you...even without a knife now! :)

3. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I had a tubal at about age 30, and haven't regretted it one bit. I never had much 'maternal' instinct anyways, and like you, Georgia--I really never liked children. (babysitting did me in, also). Show me some puppies or kittens and I'm all over it, but to me, a newborn baby looks freshly boiled <joke>. Plus with the health issues that have escalated over the years, I think I would be too tired LOL.

I also agree that an added bonus is that I, too was able to basically 'retire' early--I'm 41 and I work 2 days a week, just to keep from being too bored.

It's your decision, and I think it was one of the better decisions I made. Wouldn't have patience for a child these days--at least when the dogs get aggravating, I can toss them outside--can't do that with your children unless you want a LOT of outside intervention......

Just my .02--that and $1.29 will buy you a large coffee at the convenience store..

4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I practically raised my little brother, and sometimes my own mother.

I enjoy children so much, which is why this is such a hard decision for me to have made. If I didn't have this illness, I'd probably have up to 3 children.

I don't have the energy, I am on medication that makes me so tired, and I'm unable to take care of myself at times. It is so hard for me to keep up the energy just to get little things done each day. The pain is what really keeps me from having children, because I could not go off medications and I do not think it is right for me to bring a child into this world if I didn't have the ability to raise the child.

I won't regret this decision. I'm glad you both support me and I need that so much!

I did some recent babysitting for a friend. The grandfather, my friend, was busy working at his shop, and he asked me to keep an eye on the 3 year old, his granddaughter. Within minutes of my trying to keep up with her, she got into his stuff and poured liquid all over the floor. Luckily it was just water, but she was too fast for me as I didn't even get out of the chair. He realized I wasn't much of a babysitter. I use to babysit my cousins, a great time, and had energy back then. After this illness, I have realized that I can't do it. I cannot keep up with kids, especially the young ones that want to explore everything. While I love children so much, I just feel like a 90 year old in this body.

The good thing is that I'm making the right decision. As to the person who asked for the man of mine to get a vasectomy, I don't have any commitments to a man right now. I have male friends, but my relationships are non-existant at this time. I simply cannot afford to get pregnant because my body just could not handle having a child, let alone trying to keep up with the child, taking care of the child, raising the child.

Thank you for sharing your life with me as I'm needing some support, and its good to have someone relate to what I'm going through. I'm 35 now, going on 36 pretty soon. I wanted to have my tubes tied a year after this illness started. It started at age 23, and by age 24 I asked if I could get my tubes tied, but the doctors refused to. Thank God the doctors are realizing that this illness is real and devastating, as well as difficult to cope with on a daily basis. If the time comes that I have energy and less pain, I might consider thinking about adoption or becoming a foster parent, but I'm not holding my breath.

The hard part is telling my parents about it, because people have this fantasy of their children getting married and having kids. Plus I'm the only daughter, have 3 brothers. I cannot work, and have tried so hard to be able to. Its hard enough for me to do my own house chores a few times a week. I'm so tired and sore. Not a good idea to have children if I cannot take care of myself half the time. I put on a good act when I'm out and about, but I suffer so much without others knowing 24/7.

Thank you so much for your support. The surgery date has been set. The pre-operation appointment is the last week of this month. Then the surgery is in February. I have some friends, and my father, who will help me for as long as I need them for post-surgery recovery.

My kittens are my babies.

Fight ;)
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thank you for your post. Please read post written to Georgia and Paula.

Thank you,
    Fight ;)
  6. kat211

kat211 New Member

I absolutely support you and your right to choose what path is best for you. You are the only one who can decide what that path is. However, because we are battling the same disease and are close in age, I wanted to share my experience with you.

I have a child. I love him more than anything in the world. After being told at the age of 6 I would never carry a child to term, a horrible pregnancy and delivery, almost losing my life and my son's, I do have a child. My OBGYN and I talked a lot about a tubal while I was pregnant b/c my pregnancy was so bad and dangerous for both of us. I don't remember why, but I said no. I did have my ex husband get a V back then though.

Now, years later, I have this DD. I'm not having any more children, at least not naturally, (I love a house full of kids) but I am also not any type of relationship that might even result in an oops. But, I am on the Nuva Ring birth control. I have been on it since it came out years ago and continue on it b/c I notice a HUGE difference in my fibro symptoms when I go off it. I told a friend about the difference I noticed when I forgot my nuva ring so she tried it and noticed it helped her too.

Maybe it's a fluke. I don't know. I just though I'd share.

I'm glad that you have the support of your father and friends. You also have the support of me and many others here. I wish you a speedy and mild recovery.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Rather than have your tubes tied, have you considered having them removed? New research shows that Ovarian cancer actually starts in the tubes and spreads to the ovaries. As you are going to have the surgery done, this might be something you want to consider talking over with your surgeon. One less cancer to have to worry about in the future.
  8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thank you for your reply of your experience. I've been doing my homework and am wondering why there are so many who have written bad experiences online about TL. I appreciate that you care enough to share your experience with me.

I use to be on birth control pills, on and off, since the age of 15. When I went off the pills, I became ill. I'm sure because estrogen is a form of steroid, so-to-speak. I seriously wonder, aside from my Lyme disease dx and my neck being physically injured, if the hormones messed with my body. While I'd like to try the nuva ring, it contains hormones, even if a low does, I just don't want my hormones messed up again.

Back when I was taking birth control pills, on and off for almost 15 years, they never ever bothered to test my hormone levels. Because of HSD, I'm unable to get the new paraguard. I seriously never want to have children because of my poor health.

Anyway, I realize my story is another side of things, but I really do appreciate your post. So many have been so afraid to discuss this issue with me and I don't know why they treat this topic the same they treat the topic of someone dying. I wish more would speak their minds, in appropriate ways of course, like respectfully and concerningly. Thank you for doing just that! My mind is always open to people's experiences.

I'm glad the Nuva Ring is helping!

Fight ;)
  9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm always open to more questions I can ask the doctor. My pre-opt appt is the last week of this month, and I'm going to have a huge list of questions, and this will be one of them. i may even send these questions in a note to the doctor prior to the pre-opt appt.

I'm always open to new research as well! Do you have the resource of this information, or could you send me something? please?

Thank you!
    Fight ;)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2011]
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thank you! Like Georgia and Paula, you also have a good experience, and I like to hear that as all I've found on the internet is a lot of bad experiences. I wish people of all types of experiences shared their thoughts online, ... oh wait, you all are! :)

Site after site, I've searched and searched for tubal ligations done on people with physical llnesses, and I found nothing, except for those who got TL and ended up with physical illnesses. I've tried google and bing search engines. if you know of any articles or sites that discuss the positive of people with physical illnesses getting TL. I've found some on mental illnesses, but not on physical illnesses.

Fight ;)
  11. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Wow! Immaculate conception! Dr. must have been a priest! Unbelievable! Apparently the doctor must have had other things on his/her mind during the procedure and probably forgot about the other tube. I'd make him pay for child-rearing! (My sarcasm is a way to deal with this type of crap that makes me so mad, because there's no excuse for this, and I hate doctors who are this stupid and careless.)

Yes, I've had a great fear of becoming pregnant because my body isn't in any shape to keep up with raising and/or birthing a child/kid.

On the serious note, it is sad that you had to go through that. How young were you? I wanted a to have sterilization since age 24, a year after my illness began.

The saddest thing about my situation is that all of the negative symptoms women have had with post-tubal ligation, I've been having since 1998. The only symptom I haven't had yet is high blood pressure, but that's been going up each year as well as my heart rate being too fast.

The dr did a hormone blood panel on me today, so I'll find out what's out of whack. I know my prolactin levels go way up, double the normal top range, and then down to 0.

I'm glad you had your children, but too bad you had to go through a bad recovery. What type of problems did you have if you don't mind me asking?

Fight ;)
  12. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hi! Thank you so much! I'll probably ask the doctor about this, but some doctors won't do that just under local anesthesia. It's a decision I've yet to make.

Thank you so much for your support! :) Its such a big decision to make and its nice to have your support!

Fight ;)
  13. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hmm... something to ask my doctor and to do more studying on my computer and websites. If you have any information, or happen to run across this, can you please let me know? Thank you!

Fight ;)

P.S. So sorry to hear your friend is dealing with one of the worst cancers I know of. Its so hard to beat a cancer such as ovarian because symptoms may go overlooked and there aren't enough tests therefore it is found when it has become much stronger and harder to fight. I know a tenant of mine had his mother die of this, and it was so devastating for him, and especially her. Here he was 19, going to college, and she was dying of ovarian cancer, and no one knew what she had until it was too late. My heart goes out to your friend, and I will pray that she is able to beat this, or at least not have to suffer so much. Hugs....
  14. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm feeling better already by having supportive friends like you all listening to me and supporting me about my decision to go through tubal ligation.

Thank you!

Fight ;)
  15. kat211

kat211 New Member

I searched fibro and TL last night after posting. Good grief can the internet be a dangerous place to hang out. Anyhow, an ad popped up for a non hormone birth control called Essure. It is something they put in each tube that the body creates a seal around within 3 months that is 99.95 % effective at 1 year and 99.8% at 4 years compared to 99% at 1 year for TL which can lose efficacy after 1 year due to tubes growing back (just stats I found through research).

Have you thought about Essure? Again, I am so not trying to talk you out of surgery and I completely understand and support you in not wanting kids. It just worries me when someone with fibro has to have surgery. I had very minor surgery in 2009 and it took me forever to recovery. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So if there were any less risky alternatives...

Also, I'm like you and I like to discuss things in the open, even if they aren't the best fit for me in the end, I'd like to know my options.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing leading up to the surgery and afterward.

16. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thanks Hon! I talked with the nurse today as she called me to tell me that my hormone blood panel was good, no abnormalities, and I asked her about Essure. She didn't know anything about it, so she spoke with the doctor, and the doctor said that it is not an option for me because of HSD and abnormal paps, precancerous cells of the cervix that I got cryosurgery for 10 years ago, and other things, such as the benign tumor that I just had removed on my cervix.I forgot what they called it,... hmm... thinking... um...

Anyway, I appreciate you and others support behind my decision. Its a hard one to make being that I love kids, but wouldn't be able to raise them, and I'm also not in a relationship at this point, so its one of those decisions in which I don't have a man to discuss this with. Never had kids and have never been married. If I do get into a long-term relationship and something develops, then I'm sure if he loves me, he'll realize that kids are out of the question; but if I happen to get better with these illnesses, then I'll consider possible adoption or being a foster parent. I was a foster child in three different places, so I know what its like for them, so if I do get better, I'd love to open up my home and life for those who need a family that won't harm them and will love them. Until then, I can enjoy hearing stories from others who have children, as it doesn't bother me, and makes my heart melt, regardless of the decision I have made.

I really am confident that I'm making the best decision. & if, just if there's a change of mind, there is a possible chance of reversal, as well as in-vetro-fertilization; both of which I would be unable do have done if I found another doctor who would dare risk me using Essure. if I didn't have the problems, I would've used another form of birth control called ... um... hmm... I can't think of it. Oh yeah, it was a polyp that was removed, as I just now remembered what the name of it was. The birth control I wanted was a form of IUD without the hormones called Paraguard, but that is also something that won't work for me, according to the doctor, because of health risks to my uterus, cervix and tubes.

thank you so much for understanding, as well as looking into some options for me!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} 2 u and Others who responded!

I think I'll recover well because I've had surgeries in the past and didn't rest much and got better quickly. While my last surgery was before I became ill, in 1997, I believe I'll be fine. I appreciate your concern, and if you have any more thoughts or feelings or information to share with me, I'm open to listen to them, regardless of my decision to get the TL.

Fight ;)
  17. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I had a tubal in 1999, BF...lol:) (before fibro). I had it done the day after my 4th daughter was born and darn if I didn't hurt like heck after. But I never regretted it really....a few thoughts of man...did I do the right thing, that kind of stuff. But I knew I did. I then had to have a hysterectomy in 2005. Female issues:(

Hope everything goes well...take care!
  18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Remove fallopian tubes during hysterectomy to cut ovarian cancer cases: study

Sheryl Ubelacker, The Canadian Press

B.C. researchers are urging gynecologists to remove a woman's fallopian tubes during a hysterectomy or tubal ligation as a means of preventing ovarian cancer, one of the deadliest malignancies affecting Canadian females.

Researchers from the B.C. Cancer Agency and Vancouver General Hospital are asking all gynecologists in the province — and indeed across Canada — to change the standard surgical practice of leaving the fallopian tubes intact when performing the surgeries.

The fallopian tubes, the conduits for eggs between the ovaries and the womb, have typically been left in place because doctors saw no reason to remove the structures when taking out the uterus, especially if the ovaries were also left untouched.

In a tubal ligation — or getting one's "tubes tied" — the fallopian tubes are not removed but severed and sealed or clamped shut to prevent conception.

But Dr. Sarah Finlayson, a gynecological oncologist at Vancouver General, said recent research has shown that at least half of the cases of the deadliest form of ovarian cancer originate in the fallopian tubes — not the ovaries.

* for the complete story go to http://tinyurl.com/2dxc6dh
  19. loto

loto Member

I had one 17 years ago after the birth of my daughter - I also have a son - I didn't have Fibromyalgia back then, but I couldn't take the pill, and I knew I was done wanting children.
    For me it was the best form of birth control. Especially because I KNEW I couldn't handle having anymore children.

20. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

I want to applaud you for giving this serious consideration. I only wish after volunteering w/local organization for abused children that more folks would take a honest look if they really needed to have children. I know the abuse does not apply to you...but to others its consequences are life long. Besides that I know so many couples that feel pressured to have kids when they dont really want too (family, society, etc) And surprising some men felt "tricked" by their wives when they stated they did not want any kids...or any more. I wonder why the husbands did not get the "snip".

Good for you....getting info....research & making the best decision for you.