Tulane University Research Study of FMS Antibodies in 1999

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spinworks, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

I just found the web sites for the Tulane FMS study. It was small - but they offer a blood test that doctors can order for Autoimmune Antibodies found in patients DX with FSM. If interested please see the following web sites. I'll try to copy them here so you can just click on them - but not sure I know how to do this.

http://members.aol.com/fibrocloud/apa.htm

http://www.autoimmune.com/ForP&RIntro.html

Well, I copied and pasted - but looks like you can't just click on them to open. How does one do this anyway?

Doris
  2. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

Bump up list
  3. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

Anti-polymer antibodies were discovered by researchers at Tulane University Medical Center, and the APA (Anti-Polymer Antibody)Reactivity Assay was developed in 1999.

A company called Autoimmune Technologies has licensed the APA(Anti-Polymer Antibody) Assay from Tulane. The kit has been developed by another company called Cortenix and was launched for marketing to medical professionals in 2004.

This research is described in an article entitled "Anti-Polymer Antibody Reactivity in a Subset of Patients with Fibromyalgia Correlates with Severity," which appears in the February 1999 issue of The Journal of Rheumatology, a prominent scientific journal.

"Our results show that there is a unique immunological response in many fibromyalgia patients," said Russell B. Wilson, Ph.D., president of Autoimmune Technologies and lead investigator of the published study. "We hope that these findings will lead to a better understanding of the illness and to the development of treatments for these patients."

There has never been a laboratory test to help identify fibromyalgia.

It is possible, Dr. Wilson pointed out, that anti-polymer antibodies are associated with one of the several different causes of fibromyalgia, perhaps the cause that tends to produce the most severe symptoms. The published data indicate that this may be the case, although more research will be needed.

In addition to serving as a marker for fibromyalgia, he noted, it is also possible that these antibodies are directly involved in initiating or promoting fibromyalgia.