Tummy bug, back pain & flare, oh my!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Aug 15, 2005.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

This is sort of a vent, a question and a whine, sorry. Ten days ago I came down with a stomach bug that was the worst I have ever had. Running to potty countless times a day and then literally hugging the porcelain bus for a day or two. Yay...not.

I am getting some of my appetite back and beginning to slowly go back to solids, but the pain in my lower back seems to get worse every day now. (That scares me a little because I am also diabetic so lower back pain makes me worry about the kidneys.)

I actually think I strained the back while vomiting. Sorry to be so graphic, but when I do that...well, I really put my *all* into it and it is not ladylike at all! Today though, the knees have flared up and begun to throb so am thinking the stomach flu has probably just thrown me into a flare.

I can't get in to see my doctor until Friday (surprise, surprise) and the pain med nor the muscle relaxant is not touching the back pain. I am sorry, I don't mean to complain, but is this just a flare? I cannot find any position at all to alleviate the pain in the back and am beginning to get a wee bit testy. Any thoughts please? I am exhausted, but can't sleep for more than half an hour because the back pain keeps waking me up.
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

My kids have been off school & kindy with a really nasty virus. Started with hubby getting sick with the shakes & a fever & spread around the house. I was hoping that it would miss me, but alas as of yesterday my throat started to hurt, then my nose started to run & now I feel really ill :x
    Like you, when I catch something I usually end up with it for alot longer than everyone else that gets it :( Hope that you are fully recovered soon.
    As for the back & the knees sounds like they could both be caused from having to 'lean over the bowl' for the couple of days that you were sick. I'd deffinately have a chat to your dr though & see what he thinks about it.
    ~*Gentle Hugs*~

Lease
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

While on vacation. I picked up a really severe 24 stomach bug. Just vomiting. The next day I was starting to feel better when my lower back began to hurt (above the buttock).

By the next day I could barely walk. My hubby took me to emerg and they gave me pain meds. Long and short of it is that I was diagnosed with FM four months later.

This apparently was my first major flare. (Or should I say the one they diagnosed me with) I'm afraid it did take a while to settle down. I used narcotic pain meds and heating pads. Nothing else worked. Muscle relaxants did nothing.

I feel for you, and hope for speedy pain relief.

Regards,

Eileen.
  4. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

And it seems they are slammed with patients who have pretty much the same symptoms, so something is definitely going around folks. The only place I have been to, where I may have picked this up, has been the grocery and to church.

I was asked if I wanted to come in as an "add-on" and just wait. I really don't think I have the energy to do that today so I made the appt. for Friday and am hoping I am "healed" by then. Arrrggghhhh, I don't know how to act without my morning coffee, but the very smell of it makes me want to...er, be ill all over again. Now I remember what morning sickness felt like.
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Thank you. You are a real sweetheart. Now, off to the porcelain bus again. Gosh, what a way to be losing weight!
  6. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Just getting back on my feet after a couple of days with the stomach bug.....went through the whole house. If that wasn't bad enough we all had body aches, fever/chills, headaches,,,,,,,,,,so glad we have 2 bathrooms!!!

It gets better, I'm slowly adding solids back in. My sincere best wishes that you start feeling better soon. Foxglove
  7. sheried

sheried New Member

And it was nasty. It lasted longer than your usual virus. I had the low back pain and all. It does get better. I would still check with my doc since you have diabetes.

Hoping you bounce back quickly.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

But I really don't know if I can. Even though the potty trips have nearly stopped, I mean the going everytime I turned around, and nausea is lifting, other problems are getting worse.

Pain in the lower back seems to be working it's way up my spine and now my neck is all kinked up. If I had any been running a temp at all, I would have gone on and made certain it were not a form of meningitis, but I have no temp so think it is just a nasty flare.

So very much is going on all around me that I feel terrible for thinking of myself right now. My dear neighbor's husband passed away yesterday so I am trying so hard to think of how I can be of any comfort to her. My aunt has been in ICU for the second time in three weeks now, again she is in congestive heart failure. I feel I am failing them all. Drat this doggone fibro!