tummy trouble

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Denamay, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Can anyone tell me if chocolate is a laxitive? I have just had quite an episode and was told it was because of the 4 large squares of the chocolate that I ate. I never heard this before. Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2010]
  2. MERLK

MERLK New Member

Was it sugar free by the way. That always gives me runs, especially if it has manitol in it.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there are chocolate laxatives, but the actual regular candy shouldn't cause that issue, unless like MERLK said it is sugar free

that said, though, I wouldn't say that it is impossible either, bc with these illnesses our bodies simply do not respond normally to so many things

at this point, pretty much nothing about the way my body reacts surprises me, no matter how completely impossible it should be

it could also be possible that you have become allergic or sensitive to chocolate.....many of us have an awful lot of food sensitivities
  4. tigerlily787

tigerlily787 New Member

Chocolate gives me blood sugar problems, which first show up in my eyes, and gives me acne.

Chocolate is not a laxative. It is a junk food.

In any case, 4 large squares is even too much of a junk food.

Anything that upsets the colon, upsets the health. Notice what you eat and you will find out it closely correlates with how you feel. If something gives you the runs (diarrhea), it is HIGHLY detrimental to your health.

If someone wants to get well, why are they eating something that is junk? I understand the need for treats, yes, but there is so much healing in real, whole, unprocessed, natural food, most of which gives energy and not bad reactions. Among natural foods, there can be a few culprits, too. If I were to eat a bunch of cherries, that would give me headaches and diarrhea.

But on the whole, whole foods can give you a life makeover. Here are the high fiber foods I find are especially beneficial to the colon without giving one the runs: wedges of green cabbage, snap peas, flax seed ground up in a little tiny blender cup and put on cereal, carrots...

For those who can tolerate fruit, apples have pectin and this helps the bowel movements, so do black plums.

tigerlily787
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I know that too much of anything is not a good idea.

the chocolate that I ate had a high cocoa content, 85%.

I was just wondering is all.

You are so right tigerlily, I know better and won't be doing that again any time soon.

For the most part, my diet consists of raw fruit, some cooked but mostly raw vegies, oatmeal, eggs, milk,very little meat and cheese and rarely any junk.

Here's to better health and diet. Denamay