Turkey Calms overactive immune system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Nov 17, 2005.

1. darude

darude New Member

mmmmmmmm now I know why I love it!!!!!IN THE NEWS

A substance found in many foods, including turkey, can suppress an overactive immune system, Stanford researchers reported. The substance, tryptophan, produces a breakdown product in the body that, in the study, reversed paralysis in mice with an experimental form of multiple sclerosis, an autoimmune disorder that attacks the fatty cells that insulate neurons.

2. darude

darude New Member

Remember eat lots of turkey lots and lots. What other foods have this I wonder! Perhaps I will try the tryptophan diet.
  3. darude

darude New Member

Tryptophan is one of the most important of all our nutrients because it is the raw material that is converted into serotonin. The neurotransmitter serotonin is one of the key biochemical's that maintain our moods. When serotonin levels are low, we are more prone to depression, anxiety, panic attacks, or insomnia. Low serotonin can also be a factor in tension, irritability, PMS symptoms, and aggressive behavior.

In short, tryptophan is important because it is:

. Converted to serotonin

. The precursor to the hormone melatonin, which enables us to get to sleep

. Essential for the production of the B vitamin, niacin

. Necessary for the release of human growth hormones and Melatonin

. Required to produce more than 70 different enzymes

FOOD SOURCES OF TRYPTOPHAN
    Tryptophan is an essential amino acid. That means our body can't make it, so we must obtain it from the foods we eat. When we don't get enough tryptophan in our diet, we are lacking the raw material our bodies need to make serotonin.

Tryptophan, like other amino acids, is available only in protein foods. Good sources of tryptophan include poultry, seafood, meats, and dairy products. Wild game, which our ancestors ate, is much higher in tryptophan, because animals in the wild eat grasses and plants rather than grains. There are also plant sources of tryptophan. They typically have about 50% or less of the tryptophan of animal protein but still in meaningful amounts. If you are a vegetarian, some of the best sources are nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, tofu, wheat germ, and brewer's yeast.

Tryptophan in Foods
    Animal Sources
    Plant Sources

. Seafood: salmon, cod, snapper, halibut, flounder; scallops and shrimp

. Poultry: especially the white meat of chicken and turkey

. Lamb, beef, pork, and wild game

. Cheeses: cheddar, cottage cheese, parmesan, and Swiss

. Milk

. Eggs
    . Nuts: Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, filberts, peanuts and peanut butter, pistachios

. Seeds: poppy, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower

. Tofu, tempeh, and cooked soybeans

. Beans: especially lima ; red kidney, navy, pinto, and black beans

. Lentils and split peas

. Wheat germ

. Brewer's yeast

. Kelp

CAUSES OF LOW TRYPTOPHAN AND LOW SEROTONIN
    Even when people consume adequate amounts of animal protein in their diets, not everyone gets enough tryptophan.

. Not eating enough protein. Many people simply don't eat enough protein to get sufficient tryptophan. This can be due to weight-loss dieting (because low fat often means low protein). Vegan diets may not include enough protein to ensure adequate tryptophan. Tryptophan levels can also drop too low anytime we skip meals or replace them with sweets, junk food, or alcohol.

. Problems with digestion. Some people can't fully break down protein and others have problems absorbing it. They may eat foods rich in tryptophan, but they still don't get enough. This is frequently a problem for older people and for many people with digestive disorders. When tryptophan levels are low, serotonin levels begin to drop.

. Problems converting tryptophan to serotonin. The food we eat must go through a series of steps to convert it into a form our bodies can use. A number of factors can interfere with the conversion of tryptophan into serotonin, including:
    . Lack of the required vitamin co-factors B-1, B-2, and especially B-6 (especially the bioactive form, P-5-P)

. Other co-factors, including calcium and magnesium, essential fatty acids, and vitamin C

. Cigarette smoking

. Diabetes

. Hypoglycemia

Supporting Your Serotonin Levels

The research and our experience strongly support the use of a multivitamin and specific B vitamins taken with tryptophan to ensure conversion to serotonin. These importance co-factors enable the body to utilize tryptophan:

. C and B vitamins, especially the bioactive form of B6, pyridoxil-5-phosphate (P5P)

. Calcium and magnesium

. Essential fatty acids

. Factors that deplete your serotonin. A hectic or stressful lifestyle can also use up serotonin at a faster rate:
    . Stress, because stress hormones lower serotonin

. Anger and other negative moods

. Being excessively busy

. Hormone imbalances related to PMS, menopause, birth control pills, and the thyroid

. Stimulants such as coffee, caffeinated sodas, or diet pills

. The amino acid L-Phenylalanine, and the artificial sweetener aspartame which compete with both tryptophan and serotonin

. Not enough exercise or too much exercise

. Certain medications

4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I actually knew some of the benefits, but not all, thanks for posting. I LOVE turkey. Marie
  5. darude

darude New Member

yEP NEXT TURKEY AT CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!bUT HAVING CHICKEN TODAY ROAST YUM SMELLS GOOD LOVE COOKING WHEN i CAN!
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

This is great info. I knew it was found in turkey, but not in all these other foods
  7. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Now I know why my favourite foods include chicken, cheese and prawns. Thanks. I will print out the list and take it when I go shopping.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Super Foods, now I know why.

Thanks for posting this.

love Rosie
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have trouble digesting proteins (even w/enzymes), so am now only able to eat "duck" or small game hens. The good news about duck, although I really don't like the idea of eating "quack/quack", he's full of "tyrosine", which is an anti-depressant.

Just found that one out, so no wonder I go for him. It's interesting how your body will tell you what you need (sometimes).

But do miss those big Thanksgiving & Christmas Turkey dinners!!

ENJOY!!

LIGHT************carole